Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Moto X: 4.4.2 root

I'm in a dilemma. So I got a notif for the 4.4.2 install, and I've been wondering if I should root or not. I know theres not a method or 4.4.2, and their may not be, atleast for quite a while. I am a little worried about my warranty though. But I keep itching to mess with x-posed, and I titanium bckup for 1 or 2 things.
    So should I root now then ota? or will ota not work, and I need to flash it instead?
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-25-2014 at 01:13 PM.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: 4.4.2 root

I have not tried it, but if you already have root, then update the phone, two things could happen: Soft brick or root get erased.

It's easier to root if you unlock the bootloader, which will void the warranty. Then you can install custom recovery and flash SuperSU zip package to root.

I rooted my phone, but put it back to stock because the Moto X was running so well already. You could use Helium instead to backup which don't require root, you just have to connect it to the PC and let the PC Helium program activate the app each time you reboot the phone.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    I have not tried it, but if you already have root, then update the phone, two things could happen: Soft brick or root get erased.
    It's easier to root if you unlock the bootloader, which will void the warranty. Then you can install custom recovery and flash SuperSU zip package to root.
    I rooted my phone, but put it back to stock because the Moto X was running so well already. You could use Helium instead to backup which don't require root, you just have to connect it to the PC and let the PC Helium program activate the app each time you reboot the phone.
    Huh I heard that some were able to keep it without unlocking the bootloader. Though I dont know much about bootloaders in the first place. Why make stuff so hard moto, I just really like how motorola phones had Safestap.
    Sad thing is Helium dosen't work on my Moto X where I want to get some of the app data off that. Not sure if it works on the moto x either.

I got OTA 4.4.2. Two days ago, I decided to root. I unlocked the bootloader. I installed TWRP. Then I flashed SuperUser.

Then Xposed Framework. Then GravityBox. Then I am happy.

Edit: I have the T-Mobile version.
    Last edited by Sir Alex; 02-25-2014 at 08:50 PM.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    I got OTA 4.4.2. Two days ago, I decided to root. I unlocked the bootloader. I installed TWRP. Then I flashed SuperUser.

You should clarify which version of the Moto X you have.

For the record: if you have a non-developer version of an AT&T or VZW variant > there currently is NO root available AFTER the 4.4.2 update. If you root prior to the 4.4.2 update (the steps included going back to 4.2 which you can do from 4.4 but not from 4.4.2), then most people have been able keep root through the update to 4.4.2 (although the system protection flag gets re-enabled so the value of root is lessened).

If you have 4.4 and root, and are on AT&T or VZW; and don't have a developer phone > make sure you consider carefully before updated to 4.4.2, and if you do decide to update, it would be valuable to purchase the SuperSU that includes extra provisions to preserve root through an update.

If you are on 4.4 and on AT&T or VZW, and don't have a developer phone, and don't have root yet > go thru the rooting process before updating!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

I haven't rooted a phone since my Galaxy S, Fascinate, so forgive me, but what is the best/easiest root for Moto X, T-MO variant?

Edit: Running with OTA update to 4.4.2
    I miss my DynaTAc
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yikes, sounds way to complicated just to goof around. Like I said I dont NEED root, sure it would be nice to have some of my game data. Guess I'll upgrade now! And if I need to later, unlocking the bootloader would make it rootable?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post

Edit: I have the T-Mobile version.
    I have the T-Mobile version as well and currently rooting as I type.

Edit: Rooted my phone successfully
    On that Jellybean stuff
    Thanked by:

I have rooted all my phones -- mostly just to run root-required aps (like Ti Backup and SuperCPU), but occasionally to try a different ROM.

I just got my MotoX and am pretty disappointed that there's not a reasonable way to root (I don't need "one click root", but downgrading to 4.2 and then iteratively climbing back up seems extreme). I don't even know if I can follow the procedure because my phone came with 4.4 as the default (I guess I would have to somehow manually flash an old ROM that didn't even come on the phone, but came on early deliveries).

Like the phone a lot, but really waiting for some evil-genius to find a more succinct way of rooting.

(NOTE: I didn't get 4.4.2 OTA yet, so in theory I could still do that crazy-long/involved method, but I'm just not up for it! )

-AJ

Same here but blame that on Motorola for making difficult to achieve such things =D
    On that Jellybean stuff

Quote Originally Posted by n0obpr0 View Post
    Same here but blame that on Motorola for making difficult to achieve such things =D
    Agreed. Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
    You should clarify which version of the Moto X you have.

For the record: if you have a non-developer version of an AT&T or VZW variant > there currently is NO root available AFTER the 4.4.2 update. If you root prior to the 4.4.2 update (the steps included going back to 4.2 which you can do from 4.4 but not from 4.4.2), then most people have been able keep root through the update to 4.4.2 (although the system protection flag gets re-enabled so the value of root is lessened).

If you have 4.4 and root, and are on AT&T or VZW; and don't have a developer phone > make sure you consider carefully before updated to 4.4.2, and if you do decide to update, it would be valuable to purchase the SuperSU that includes extra provisions to preserve root through an update.

If you are on 4.4 and on AT&T or VZW, and don't have a developer phone, and don't have root yet > go thru the rooting process before updating!
    So I've got the non-de VZW variant and I'm hoping to keep root by using SuperSU or OTARootkeeper. Has anyone successfully kept root after accepting the 4.4.2 OTA?
    Thanked by:
    Samsul Eter likes this.

Global Posts
    1,003 Global Posts

Default Re: Moto X: 4.4.2 root

Users on XDA reported keeping root when taking the OTA. They lost their R/W ability though. Its the reason why I haven't taken the OTA yet.

There seems to be some conflicting information here...

Sir Alex seems to have rooted after receiving 4.4.2 OTA, unless I'm reading that wrong. And unless his post is really over simplified, it sounds a lot easier than I've previously read.

Others seem to indicate that root'ing post-4.4.2 OTA is currently impossible.

@Sir Alex: Any chance you can provide more details and clarify what you accomplished???

Thanks!
    -AJ

Quote Originally Posted by aweber1nj View Post

Sir Alex seems to have rooted after receiving 4.4.2 OTA, unless I'm reading that wrong. And unless his post is really over simplified, it sounds a lot easier than I've previously read.

@Sir Alex: Any chance you can provide more details and clarify what you accomplished???

Thanks!
    -AJ
    Moto x versions with unlockable bootloaders (dev editions or XT 1053 unlocked gsm model) are and always will be easily rootable. You just install it.

Folks with locked bootloaders (standard vzw, att, etc) requires an 'exploit' to root. This one and only exploit is very involved and impossible to accomplish post 4.4.2. There very likely will NOT be another root exploit in the future for LOCKED bootloader X's.

In summary, buy unlockable devices if you value root, and don't bother with exploits if you own an unlocked device. You can simply flash superuser. Locked bootloaders are, well, locked down.

-Nexus 10-

Thanks!
    -AJ
    I have a T-Mobile Moto X. Let's get that out of the way.

Yes, I received 4.4.2 OTA before I rooted.

It was a simple 3 steps process for me. I followed the instructions at this link . However, there was a problem with flashing the TWRP recovery using fastboot. I didn't get any error, but TWRP was not installed.

Then I found this link at xda, . If you compare the two links, they are very similar, almost the same, EXCEPT the xda link uses mfastboot to flash TWRP. That was the only problem I encountered. Please note that I only used mfastboot one time. The rest of the time, I used fastboot.

The usual disclaimer. Root at your own risk.

Edit: At the very end of the xda link, it says "From what I have read you can use the version of TWRP I linked to above to root 4.4.2."

@Sir Alex: So is your phone model the XT 1053 then?

@Sir Alex: So is your phone model the XT 1053 then?
    Yes, it's XT 1053.

I don't see the model number in my phone, but Google Play says XT 1053.

Ah, so according to Rocketsauce, that's the unlocked GSM model. Yeah, that makes sense...shouldn't be too hard to root the unlocked models at all.

Thanks for the info.

OK, "the honeymoon is over"....I want my root!

Where is the "bounty" thread to help support someone finding a way to root VZW 4.4.2???

And frankly, since "root" means a lot of different things to different people when it comes to android phones, I'll clarify that all I want is superuser capability -- which is what I call root, but I don't need an unlocked bootloader to load custom ROMs...unfortunately, many times an unlocked bootloader is what is required to facilitate the root/superuser access in the ROM.

So if I have a Sprint phone, I could root it, but I'd have to unlock the bootloader and void the warranty, first?

Maybe I will wait until the warranty expires. I don't really need root.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    So if I have a Sprint phone, I could root it, but I'd have to unlock the bootloader and void the warranty, first?
    Correct. If you don't have a Developer Edition, and your phone is eligible to have its bootloader unlocked via Moto's web site (like sprint, t-mobile), you will void your warranty. (See the 2nd bullet of the "important please review..." section on -> )
    Too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the list click HERE

OK, "the honeymoon is over"....I want my root!

Where is the "bounty" thread to help support someone finding a way to root VZW 4.4.2???

And frankly, since "root" means a lot of different things to different people when it comes to android phones, I'll clarify that all I want is superuser capability -- which is what I call root, but I don't need an unlocked bootloader to load custom ROMs...unfortunately, many times an unlocked bootloader is what is required to facilitate the root/superuser access in the ROM.
    There is a bounty thread on XDA...

For the X, you need both Root and Write Protection disable. Having write protection disabled means that any changes you make to /system or the other protected areas in the file system are retained after power off. For example... If you have root, you could install SuperUser, Adaway, change your build.prop, etc. But when write protection is enabled, power the phone off/on, and those changes are lost, and SuperUser app and the others are gone.
    Too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the list click HERE

Mark: thanks for the details. I'll head over to XDA and add my donation.

Agreed. Just sayin'
    No, not Motorola. Verizon. Moto's customers are the carriers, not us. Motorola does what the carriers ask them to do. Verizon insists on locked bootloaders and closing the exploits.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast