Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question flex in case-back normal?

I received my Moto X on Tuesday, and just noticed taking it out of my pocket this morning that there's considerable flex/"give" in the back, down near the Verizon logo (so yes, this is a VZ variant, but not sure that matters, as I'm referring to a h/w possible-issue).

The rest of the phone feels very solid and well-built, but if I squeeze lightly (i.e. pinching the phone with thumb on case back and fingers supporting face/front of phone), I can feel the case-back flexing and actually hear a slight "crackling" sound as if either the plastic back is making the sound or some glue has de-laminated (don't know if there's glue applied there to adhere the caseback). This is with a "woven black" back.

It's a little worrying -- I don't think I've ever owned a phone that did that, and certainly not one without a removable battery/back.

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks,
    AJ

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts

Default Re: flex in case-back normal?

Quote Originally Posted by aweber1nj View Post
    I received my Moto X on Tuesday, and just noticed taking it out of my pocket this morning that there's considerable flex/"give" in the back, down near the Verizon logo (so yes, this is a VZ variant, but not sure that matters, as I'm referring to a h/w possible-issue).

The rest of the phone feels very solid and well-built, but if I squeeze lightly (i.e. pinching the phone with thumb on case back and fingers supporting face/front of phone), I can feel the case-back flexing and actually hear a slight "crackling" sound as if either the plastic back is making the sound or some glue has de-laminated (don't know if there's glue applied there to adhere the caseback). This is with a "woven black" back.

It's a little worrying -- I don't think I've ever owned a phone that did that, and certainly not one without a removable battery/back.

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks,
    AJ
    Near my Verizon logo, the back has a little give. Elsewhere its solid

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for taking the time to check and reply. Maybe it's "normal". Will keep an eye on it.

I have the solid black back but my original woven black back (sent back due to ripples under the cover) did seem a little softer overall so maybe a different material? Don't remember it flexing but it was soft enough to let some imperfections underneath push it out in a couple of places so definitely not too rigid. Mine also makes a slight 'crackle' in a spot or two from the adhesive underneath but I have to push it quite hard to hear it though so no big deal. If your back is clean I'd say it's probably fine.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yeah, there's no obvious deformities or cracks, scratches, etc., and I ordered a case for it so it'll probably be fine.

My DNA was rock solid in build and before that I had a Moto Razr (the original/comeback model from 2012 or so) which was a tank.

Again, appreciate you checking.

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts

There was a discussion shortly after the phone was released talking about flex in the area around the back logo. This flex may not have been contemplated by Moto but it is completely normal and everyone's Moto X probably has it. As Dswann3 stated, the crackle is from the adhesive underneath.

This is NOT with every X. It's a characteristic of the Woven black and white backs. I had a black one and it sounds like adhesive coming loose when you press on it. I thought it was silly when someone brought it up but it annoyed me so I returned mine. The ones in the store did the same think. I've had a Navy, and a olive one in my hand and they did NOT have this problem. I own a dark red one now without this issue. Seems the woven have a softer back. Not sure about the light colors. But soft touch.. No issues. Doubt it'll be a problem unless it bothers you

Posted via Android Central App
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Dude, thanks for the detailed reply! (And that's exactly what it sounds like.)

Guess I won't worry about it and I'll put the case on as soon as it arrives.