What's the current market value of a Moto X

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
My Moto X screen just cracked as I accidentally dropped it on the floor. If I got a replacement through equipment insurance ($199 deductible), what would be the market value of that replacement?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Why is your deductible $199? It should only be $99--at least, that's the case with Verizon.

Swappa.com is a good place to check to determine the market value of any phone.

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Swappa prices are around $300-380. You can buy new for 329 for vzw version thru tomorrow. VZWDEAL I think is the code.

Posted via Android Central App

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Bought mine last week off Craigslist for $210. Guy had used it maybe a week. Still had original plastic on it and everything.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
AT&T offered me to send me a new one for $49 but that would mean I'm signing up for a new 2 year contract. Not sure if that is a good deal. I'd really like to be able to use tethering again and Nexus 5 seems to be the way to go (on the Moto X, AT&T has found a way to make it impossible for those with unlimited data plans, even if I use only 200 MB/month for tethering and 2 GB total, i.e. am paying more than I should).

My current baseline plan is to accept AT&T's offer, then try to get $250 for the Moto X they will send me, then buy a Nexus 5 from that and accept that I'll be stuck with AT&T for 2 more years (there doesn't seem to be a better alternative around the corner anyway).

Let me know if that plan does not make sense to you.

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
AT&T offered me to send me a new one for $49 but that would mean I'm signing up for a new 2 year contract. Not sure if that is a good deal. I'd really like to be able to use tethering again and Nexus 5 seems to be the way to go (on the Moto X, AT&T has found a way to make it impossible for those with unlimited data plans, even if I use only 200 MB/month for tethering and 2 GB total, i.e. am paying more than I should).

My current baseline plan is to accept AT&T's offer, then try to get $250 for the Moto X they will send me, then buy a Nexus 5 from that and accept that I'll be stuck with AT&T for 2 more years (there doesn't seem to be a better alternative around the corner anyway).

I would use your upgrade to get a 16GB iPhone 5s from best buy for $150 and then sell the iPhone 5s for $550 on swappa. You will clear $500 after fees/shipping. Without taking into account the sales tax, you would net $350, which is enough to buy a 16GB Nexus. Of course, you have to figure in the sales tax but I don't know how much that is where you live.

AT&T also charges an upgrade fee so you have to figure that in, too.

If you go with the Moto X and pay $50 for it and sell for $250 on craig's list, you would only net $200 but again you would have to factor in sales tax and the upgrade fee. You are better off getting an iPhone with your upgrade and flipping it.

Last edited:

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Less than $350. You can get a new for a little more than that price.

via VZW Moto X or Droid RAZR M

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughts. Unfortunately I can only get the iPhone 5s for $199+tax+early renewal fee, which comes to $300. So I would only be making $200 that way, the same as if I can buy the Moto X for $50+tax+fee=$102 and sell it for $300.

I would use your upgrade to get a 16GB iPhone 5s from best buy for $150 and then sell the iPhone 5s for $550 on swappa. You will clear $500 after fees/shipping. Without taking into account the sales tax, you would net $350, which is enough to buy a 16GB Nexus. Of course, you have to figure in the sales tax but I don't know how much that is where you live.

AT&T also charges an upgrade fee so you have to figure that in, too.

If you go with the Moto X and pay $50 for it and sell for $250 on craig's list, you would only net $200 but again you would have to factor in sales tax and the upgrade fee. You are better off getting an iPhone with your upgrade and flipping it.

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Why can't you get the ATT iPhone 5s from Best Buy for $150? With the $36 upgrade fee that is $186 + tax. How much tax are you paying?

I am not sure actually if I can. The problem is that I have two months of contract left so they are saying they are doing me a favor by letting me upgrade now. I don't know if Best Buy would be in the same position. Tax is CA, about 9%.

Are you suggesting I might be able to just walk into a Best Buy and they can process the early upgrade for me?

SmithlandCart

Banned
Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I am not sure actually if I can. The problem is that I have two months of contract left so they are saying they are doing me a favor by letting me upgrade now. I don't know if Best Buy would be in the same position. Tax is CA, about 9%.
and in CA, you get taxed on the full retail value of the phone, so you get hit hard with the sales tax. If ATT can move your upgrade date in the system so that BB can process the upgrade then it would work. But if they can't change it in the system, then no, it won't work.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

The Motomaker T-mobile version of the X, I've been told, can natively tether. It's unlocked, doesn't have the annoying AT&T bloatware, and has all the appropriate bands for AT&T. I've been fortunate to get the upgrade fee waived. Just ask nicely when you call AT&T CS.

How far along are you in your current contract? Have you thought about going no contract, prepaid?

cgr1971

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I just bought one off of Craigslist for $240. Came with a case, sceen protector on it, the box, and the charger. Perfect condition.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish