Moto X: 10+ apps always running. Help!

megumbo

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I installed battery doctor a few days ago and everytime I go to kill apps, there are always 10+ apps running. Even if my phone is on standby for 10 minutes right after killing them all, they will come back.

This is eating a lot of battery and I don't know how to stop it. A lot of the apps are Google bloatware.

This is a snapshot I took of open apps right after I started my phone. I will kill them and they just come back minutes later. Very frustrating.

battery.jpg

What can I do?:'(

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: 10+ apps always running. Help!

You can uninstall the apps - But why are you concerned that they are running? are you having issues? Facebook runs so that it can sync and give you alerts. GoSMS pro so it can receive texts, Play store so that it can receive updates etc. If any of these apps are showing unusual battery use then you have an issue, otherwise this is by design.

megumbo

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

You can uninstall the apps - But why are you concerned that they are running? are you having issues? Facebook runs so that it can sync and give you alerts. GoSMS pro so it can receive texts, Play store so that it can receive updates etc. If any of these apps are showing unusual battery use then you have an issue, otherwise this is by design.

Everytime I kill the apps it adds at least 2 hours to my battery time. That is pretty significant. How can I make them not start up automatically? I don't want to receive facebook updates, I don't care about apps updating. And cant gosms only when I open it or when I get a text?

realitydigg

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

So on facebook for example you can go into the settings and turn facebook chat off, and turn the update interval to never - then it will update only when you open it. You can also go into the setting on play newsstand and tell it to only download while charging. You should care about apps updating if you want the latest bug free most secure versions. Tweaking the settings will probably save you most of your battery time. Also, search around for all the other tips and tricks for conserving battery if that is the core issue.

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

Everytime I kill the apps it adds at least 2 hours to my battery time. That is pretty significant. How can I make them not start up automatically? I don't want to receive facebook updates, I don't care about apps updating. And cant gosms only when I open it or when I get a text?

How will GoSMS know when you get a text if the service that watches for incoming messages isn't running? Really, these are background services so the apps will work as you expect them to. Like realitydigg said in many apps you can turn off the settings that require the services to run.

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site

Under data usage in the main settings you can restrict apps from running in the background....

Posted via Android Central App

dctokyo

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site

I've been getting good results from Greenify.

I was noticing apps running that had no business doing that. Pandora, My TV Favs, etc...no need for these apps to be running in the background unless I'm actively using it like I would Pandora.

Zaini Art

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site

Try greenify donation version, u won't regret it :) alot way better than task killer. It will put any app into sleep without losing their main function like push message or GCM
services.

Sent from my Lenovo A390_ROW using Tapatalk

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site

Try greenify donation version, u won't regret it :) alot way better than task killer. It will put any app into sleep without losing their main function like push message or GCM
services.

Sent from my Lenovo A390_ROW using Tapatalk

But for that to work you need to be rooted, right?

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site

But for that to work you need to be rooted, right?

Used to be but not anymore. The app does have certain root only functions like hibernating system apps but the basic functions work without root

-Nexus 10-

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

I third Greenify. Root is still necessary to keep some apps from starting up on their own, but that just is what it is. Make sure your individual app settings are as battery friendly as you can tolerate.