Moto X: Display Brightness

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity for everyone here, for optimal battery power/efficiency, do you normally keep your display brightness on the lowest possible setting, or do you keep it on auto? Right now, I have mine on the lowest...

Last edited by a moderator:

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: Display Brightness

I keep mine on the lowest possible unless I'm outside and need to see the screen.

i mean don't get me wrong, i know that due to our awesome shortcut quick toggle settings menu it's easy to change the display settings up and everything, and I noticed that before when I was outside. So again, whenever you're outside you turn it on auto just to be able to read the screen then when you go back inside you turn it down? I wonder how much battery it would use if you just left it on auto all of the time though...

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I leave mine on auto. Do on all my devices.

Posted via Android Central App on my Ebony backed Moto X

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I leave mine on auto. Do on all my devices.

Posted via Android Central App on my Ebony backed Moto X

what kind of battery life do you experience on your X? from a full charge how long does it last until it's almost dead?

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

I use Llama to manage my phone. Indoors it's at 25% unless it is late night where it goes down to 10%. During the day, outdoor locations in the sun it's set to 100%. The only place I use auto is some place like an amusement park where I am in and out of buildings a lot. I get well over 24 hours unless I am hammering the battery playing games.

Posted via Android Central App

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I use Llama to manage my phone. Indoors it's at 25% unless it is late night where it goes down to 10%. During the day, outdoor locations in the sun it's set to 100%. The only place I use auto is some place like an amusement park where I am in and out of buildings a lot. I get well over 24 hours unless I am hammering the battery playing games.

Posted via Android Central App

I checked out the Llama app. I didn't see any place for display settings. I just don't want it to be that if i change my display settings to auto that it burns through up to twice the amount the battery than in the lowest brightness setting if you know what i mean.

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

I leave mine in auto. Great M.X battery life. Chris

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I leave mine in auto. Great M.X battery life. Chris

Well I'm certainly glad to hear that. Just out of curiousity, what do you consider great battery life though? I'm still say that i'm trial testing my own battery usage statistics between my Android OS, and my Display Power. Maybe i should try leaving my Display Brightness on auto again.... what percentage is your Android OS battery usage usually at? Do you remove your recent apps a few times per day?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I leave mine at 50% all the time. Works fine for me.

well i was thinking about doing that, however i'm figuring that the point of "Auto" brightness is for the light sensor to obviously auto adjust the display setting based upon the environment you're in. So, most people in here have really good battery power on their X and keep the display brightness on auto?

lanzfernandez

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

well i was thinking about doing that, however i'm figuring that the point of "Auto" brightness is for the light sensor to obviously auto adjust the display setting based upon the environment you're in. So, most people in here have really good battery power on their X and keep the display brightness on auto?

It really depends on your lifestyle. Me, I keep using my phone at full daylight so if I will have "Auto" it'll be 100% most of the time. When I'm in bed lights out, every time I reach the phone to read txt I need to adjust the brightness to clearly view the message. I think android brightness calibration is not really that good. That's just me.

So 50% is my line of comfort. It's not affecting battery life that much.

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Well I'm certainly glad to hear that. Just out of curiousity, what do you consider great battery life though? I'm still say that i'm trial testing my own battery usage statistics between my Android OS, and my Display Power. Maybe i should try leaving my Display Brightness on auto again.... what percentage is your Android OS battery usage usually at? Do you remove your recent apps a few times per day?

Charge it once a day and can have over 4 hours screen time. Chris

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

It really depends on your lifestyle. Me, I keep using my phone at full daylight so if I will have "Auto" it'll be 100% most of the time. When I'm in bed lights out, every time I reach the phone to read txt I need to adjust the brightness to clearly view the message. I think android brightness calibration is not really that good. That's just me.

So 50% is my line of comfort. It's not affecting battery life that much.

well, you're right it definitely depends on your lifestyle. that's for sure. i work inside all of the time and am rarely outside and when i am outside i can either just deal with the low brightness, or i can put it on auto for the moment if i really need it that's all. haha 50% display brightness though eh without too much battery drain? I suppose I could always try that as well...

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Charge it once a day and can have over 4 hours screen time. Chris

yeah i usually charge mine once a day as well. My only rule in the car is that if i am GPSing with google maps, it's always on the car charger regardless though of course but yeah, other than that i can get a day out of it....

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I keep mine on auto all the time. My phone is off the charger about 17 hours each day. I usually have about 30% left at night with about 2.5-3 hours screen on time. Mostly use my phone for texts, email, music and podcasts. Usually a little Web browsing, Facebook, tapatalk, and photo taking mixed in.

I am on LTE most of the day and I leave wifi and bluetooth on all the time.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I keep mine on auto all the time. My phone is off the charger about 17 hours each day. I usually have about 30% left at night with about 2.5-3 hours screen on time. Mostly use my phone for texts, email, music and podcasts. Usually a little Web browsing, Facebook, tapatalk, and photo taking mixed in.

I am on LTE most of the day and I leave wifi and bluetooth on all the time.

mm i gotcha thanks for the input. I am definitely going to give it a fresh charge tomorrow for work, leave my display on auto brightness, and see where I am at the end of the day battery drainage wise...I always have my Wifi off, bluetooth on and i'm always on 4g LTE just like you as well. If you're saying you can get 17 hours per day with about 30 % left at the end and then you're charging it up, that's awesome! Like I said, I"ll have to give it a shot tomorrow, that's for sure!

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Another vote for auto brightness here. No complaints on battery life especially since 4.4.2 has really helped. My os is usually around 12% and screen time 2-3 hours

-Nexus 10-

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Another vote for auto brightness here. No complaints on battery life especially since 4.4.2 has really helped. My os is usually around 12% and screen time 2-3 hours

-Nexus 10-

I just took a screen shot of my current standing for my battery power for the day. Keep in mind though, that today my screen brightness was still at the lowest power. Again, tomorrow i will be setting it for auto brightness..Screenshot_2014-03-09-19-21-43.png as for the automatic brightness, tomorrow will be yet another display battery test. I'll keep you updated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01