Moto X: Anyone else care less about the One (M8) and Galaxy S5?

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Seriously, usually I'm all over the new tech coming out, especially new smart phones as I'm always looking to get something better. I watch YouTube videos, read review and sorta have fun contemplating my next device. But not this time, I am genuinely happy as heck with the Moto X still after months of getting it. I'm feeling not even into looking at any other phones and probably won't until the next X.

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Anyone else care less about the new HTC and s5 ?

I will put it this way: I am usually a big supporter of Samsung. I was rather disappointed in the S5. I was hoping for a more trimmed down version of the OS -OR- 32 GB as the standard and a 64 GB option. The M8 got my attention more, and I am not a fan of HTC. Don't get me wrong, I hope it sells really well. Enough to ease the financial stress of the company, and of the two that would be the device I would get next. However, given the choice of any device, I am eagerly awaiting the announcement of the next iteration of the Moto X.

yscty

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site

To be honest I just got the X a little over two weeks ago and love it. I came from a Galaxy SII so it's without a doubt a major improvement. I'm not even considering another phone, I feel the X has been almost flawless and I have really enjoyed the simplicity of it.

The only phone I'm looking forward to in the near future is the new X. What I'd like to see improved is the size, I'm not into the big phones but it feels a tad small in the hand, the only thing I liked about my S2 was the size, IMHO it was the perfect overall size. Also I'd like to see some simple improvements to the camera in low light photos but overall I've been rather happy with the majority of pictures I've taken thus far.

HTC = Too big for me, meaning to tall and can't say I'm a fan of the front facing speakers.

S5 = Too much useless crap on it, and to be honest after my Sprint Galaxy SII experience can't say I'll ever go Samsunw again......

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

To be honest I just got the X a little over two weeks ago and love it. I came from a Galaxy SII so it's without a doubt a major improvement. I'm not even considering another phone, I feel the X has been almost flawless and I have really enjoyed the simplicity of it.

The only phone I'm looking forward to in the near future is the new X. What I'd like to see improved is the size, I'm not into the big phones but it feels a tad small in the hand, the only thing I liked about my S2 was the size, IMHO it was the perfect overall size. Also I'd like to see some simple improvements to the camera in low light photos but overall I've been rather happy with the majority of pictures I've taken thus far.

I really like the Always listening feature. Saying 'OK Google Now' and asking it to do a barrel roll is always fun.

Isc73

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

I always wanted an HTC one for its build quality and design, the new one looks good too, I'd get black. However, I feel perfectly fine with my note 3

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Seriously, usually I'm all over the new tech coming out, especially new smart phones as I'm always looking to get something better. I watch YouTube videos, read review and sorta have fun contemplating my next device. But not this time, I am genuinely happy as heck with the Moto X still after months of getting it. I'm feeling not even into looking at any other phones and probably won't until the next X.

I'm always looking but that doesn't mean I'm switching. :)
I like checking out the new phones just to see what all is coming out.I think there are some nice phones coming out but nothing has yet gave me the "wow factor" over what I have .

I really like the Always listening feature. Saying 'OK Google Now' and asking it to do a barrel roll is always fun.

LoL ,thats kinda cool :D

Zig261

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site

Actually the M8 looks mighty nice and they been improving their update cycle lately. If I wasn't interested in Stock android like Motorola. I would choose HTC.

The only thing worth going to the S5 is the camera honestly.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I really do not care at all for phones that have TouchWiz and Sense.

I have to fully agree with you the difference between Samsung and HTC is that they have manufacture skins the one thing I'm sure we all love about our moto X is it stock vanilla Android so that two gigs of RAM memory we fully get to use versus having a manufacturer skin having to utilize half of that RAM so you only have to the end user one gigabyte of RAM for apps and whatnot

Bill Hong

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site

My son got a new HTC One M8 this weekend. After trying it out, and deciding the camera was good enough (kind of my attitude about the X's camera) he went for it. He's been a Samsung guy but he likes the build quality of the HTC, and really with that aluminum body who wouldn't? It's not necessarily my style, but to each their own. I'm awaiting updates from him how he likes it.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Pretty much for me, I don't care for any phone unless it has a Motorola logo on it. After using my super reliable RAZR M for a year and my Moto X for almost 4 months. Motorola gets all my money from now on.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Jack33

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site

I had Blackberry Curve, Droid Incredible, DINC2, Motorola Razr Maxx, and Moto X. Each had it pros and cons. I like Moto X and intend to keep it for a while.

The thing I love about android phones is that I can choose from so many different brands and models. My next phone will be Samsung Note, not because I love Samsung but because I want to try something new. Life is too short to be tied to just one brand, especially when you are in an ecosystem such as android.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I had Blackberry Curve, Droid Incredible, DINC2, Motorola Razr Maxx, and Moto X. Each had it pros and cons. I like Moto X and intend to keep it for a while.

The thing I love about android phones is that I can choose from so many different brands and models. My next phone will be Samsung Note, not because I love Samsung but because I want to try something new. Life is too short to be tied to just one brand, especially when you are in an ecosystem such as android.

You know, just like you, I've had multiple multiple Android devices over the years starting from the original Droid one original and the one thing I've always always remember about the Droid one from Motorola, what was the stock vanilla Android on it! After that other manufacturers when with their own skins which took up resources system memory and also a lot of battery power which wasn't necessary. one of the many reasons I love my Moto X, is the fact that it obviously does still have stock Android it's super fast with 2 gigs of ram and no skin. Plus it'll get a software updates super fast from Google

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

Something I learned a long time ago:

When you've bought something you like, STOP SHOPPING.

(I really like my XT 1053)

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Very true. Also when that happens don't wish you keep on having the newest phone out enjoy the phone you have

boston_ant

May 12, 2010
Visit site

I've had an Evo 4G LTE for 2 years. I've been rolling with Jelly Bean 4.3 for a month, which has been amazing. I just became eligible for an upgrade, and coming from a long line of HTC phones, (including the original Evo and the HTC Touch running Windows Mobile) I figured the next phone for me would be the M8. But then I started looking at last year's HTC One. I honestly did not see a huge enough difference for me to extend my 2 year contract for the newer One, so I started pricing used Ones on eBay. I was all set to purchase a like-new condition One for $250-$300 when I decided to go to the Sprint store to get some last minute hands on time. Then I saw the Moto X.

See, I knew about this phone, I've seen the ads and briefly read some review highlights, but I passed it over. After playing with it for 5 minutes, I asked myself why I wasn't considering this phone as my next phone, at least until something amazing comes out that is worth resigning a 2 year contract for. I went home, rolled my sleeves up, and spent the entire weekend digging through blogs and articles, polls, watching in-depth reviews and side by side comparison videos, going through features guides and critiquing picture and video quality. I'm honestly a little ashamed that I never gave Motorola a shot from the beginning. I looked on eBay and immediately snagged a brand new black Moto X, still sealed in retail packaging for $260. I'm usually someone who gets buyers remorse really easily, but I can honestly say, I have NONE. The phone should be here Thursday and I couldn't be more excited. With a near pure Google experience, lightning fast performance, quick updates, a competitively sized screen, innovative features, and a solid build quality that feels fantastic in the hand, I can see myself having this phone for a long time.

To finally address the OP's question directly, I've always cared less about Samsung phones, and I've always loved HTC, and I can see myself returning to HTC down the line if their next phone can stand out from the competition, but now with my Moto X on the way, I can honestly care less about any other phone right now... (except the Sony Xperia Z2, but the likelihood of me spending $800 on an unlocked phone and breaking out of my family plan to switch to T-Mobile is extremely, extremely slim)

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site

The only phone that has piqued my interest is the future Moto X2.
I've had iPhone, HTC, Samsung, old Motorola and now Google Motorola.
Google Motorola is best.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I've had an Evo 4G LTE for 2 years. I've been rolling with Jelly Bean 4.3 for a month, which has been amazing. I just became eligible for an upgrade, and coming from a long line of HTC phones, (including the original Evo and the HTC Touch running Windows Mobile) I figured the next phone for me would be the M8. But then I started looking at last year's HTC One. I honestly did not see a huge enough difference for me to extend my 2 year contract for the newer One, so I started pricing used Ones on eBay. I was all set to purchase a like-new condition One for $250-$300 when I decided to go to the Sprint store to get some last minute hands on time. Then I saw the Moto X.

See, I knew about this phone, I've seen the ads and briefly read some review highlights, but I passed it over. After playing with it for 5 minutes, I asked myself why I wasn't considering this phone as my next phone, at least until something amazing comes out that is worth resigning a 2 year contract for. I went home, rolled my sleeves up, and spent the entire weekend digging through blogs and articles, polls, watching in-depth reviews and side by side comparison videos, going through features guides and critiquing picture and video quality. I'm honestly a little ashamed that I never gave Motorola a shot from the beginning. I looked on eBay and immediately snagged a brand new black Moto X, still sealed in retail packaging for $260. I'm usually someone who gets buyers remorse really easily, but I can honestly say, I have NONE. The phone should be here Thursday and I couldn't be more excited. With a near pure Google experience, lightning fast performance, quick updates, a competitively sized screen, innovative features, and a solid build quality that feels fantastic in the hand, I can see myself having this phone for a long time.

To finally address the OP's question directly, I've always cared less about Samsung phones, and I've always loved HTC, and I can see myself returning to HTC down the line if their next phone can stand out from the competition, but now with my Moto X on the way, I can honestly care less about any other phone right now... (except the Sony Xperia Z2, but the likelihood of me spending $800 on an unlocked phone and breaking out of my family plan to switch to T-Mobile is extremely, extremely slim)

I completely agree with you my previous phone was a razor Maxx HD and while I absolutely loved the memory on the battery of it the only thing that it's sort of left for me was the 1 gig of ram and I love the 2 gigs of ram and Motorola Custom X 8 inside of the X.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

S5 over the M8 for sure. But they're both giant phones that I don't want nor need.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Active Notifications and Touch-less controls! Those two phones don't have it. Enough said.