Moto X: Transferring music from an ancient MacBook to Google Play

apointe_nyc

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm a first time poster and couldn't find the answer to my question through a search, so figured I'd come out and ask.

I recently upgraded from a 'dumb' phone to a MotoX and would like to put my music collection on my phone (or on Google Play to access through my phone). Right now, my entire collection is in iTunes on my very old MacBook Pro, which is running Mac OS X 10.4.11. I've followed the steps in this post but my computer is too old to run the app necessary for it to work. Most of my music is copies from physical CDs and wasn't purchased through iTunes.

Is there any other way that I can get my music from my computer to my phone? I am planning on getting a new (PC) laptop in the next 6-9 months, which I think will make moving the music files easier, but I'd like to move them now if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Ashley

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Transferring music from an ancient MacBook to Google Play

Welcome to Android Central! So have you tried installing Google Music Manager on your Mac? It wasn't clear to me from your post. You should be able to download and install it on your Mac by starting at this support page: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1229970?hl=en. Once you've installed Music Manager, open it, specify which folders your music is in, and then click the Upload button. It might take a long time to upload everything, depending on how much music you have. When I did my initial upload of around 6000 songs, it took about 2 days, and I think the computer was on the whole time. It's supposed to be faster now, because Google Play Music can match your music with what it has in its vast library, in which case it doesn't have to upload the track.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

You can also now upload your music to Google directly from your browser. Works only on Chrome though. I haven't tried it yet so don't know how good an option it is, but it is an option.

Posted via Android Central App

apointe_nyc

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for your reply! I did install Music Manager, but when I try to launch the application I get an error "You cannot use the application Music Manager with this version of Mac OS X". Any ideas? I'm thinking the answer may involve an update of my operating system, but to be honest I don't have a clue how to do it and know my machine can't support the latest version.

Also GadgetGator -- I can't even run Chrome on my machine because of it's age. Kind of boggles my mind!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Google support says you need OS X 10.5 or higher. What version are you at?

Dr Triffid

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

10.6 is $20 from Apple. May be worth it.

Sent from some Android device or another using the AC Forums app.

apointe_nyc

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site

I have a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.4.11. Looks like I should try 10.5 or 10.6 ... will do so and report back. Thanks!

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site

I have a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.4.11. Looks like I should try 10.5 or 10.6 ... will do so and report back. Thanks!

Get to 10.6 if you can. It's base level requirement for a lot of software and it's a pretty stable version of the OS. A lot better than Lion that followed IMHO.

Posted via Android Central App

ougrad1

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm a first time poster and couldn't find the answer to my question through a search, so figured I'd come out and ask.

I recently upgraded from a 'dumb' phone to a MotoX and would like to put my music collection on my phone (or on Google Play to access through my phone). Right now, my entire collection is in iTunes on my very old MacBook Pro, which is running Mac OS X 10.4.11. I've followed the steps in this post but my computer is too old to run the app necessary for it to work. Most of my music is copies from physical CDs and wasn't purchased through iTunes.

Is there any other way that I can get my music from my computer to my phone? I am planning on getting a new (PC) laptop in the next 6-9 months, which I think will make moving the music files easier, but I'd like to move them now if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Ashley

I use easy phone tunes app that installs on a desktop and moto x. It syncs your iTunes music and playlists(huge to me) to my Moto. Simple and just works.