Disable Google Search Hotword Detection?

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
On the first screenshot below the Google search shows an option to disable the hotword detection. The second screen shot doesn't have that option. The first is before the most recent update to Google search and the second is the most recent update. Does anyone know how to disable the hotword detection on the most recent Google search update?

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1397180533933.jpg
    1397180533933.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 55
  • 1397180547978.jpg
    1397180547978.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 55

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about for you, but for me the most recent update broke hotword detection entirely. It would not work in Google Now and the setting was gone entirely. Can you still use hotword detection?

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about for you, but for me the most recent update broke hotword detection entirely. It would not work in Google Now and the setting was gone entirely. Can you still use hotword detection?

I don't have hotword detection at all in Google settings. It probably has something to do with the built in touchless control. Hotword detection would interfere with touchless control and send Google now into a frenzy.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't have hotword detection at all in Google settings. It probably has something to do with the built in touchless control. Hotword detection would interfere with touchless control and send Google now into a frenzy.

I don't know what it is. Hotword detection in Google Now worked on 4.2.2, 4.4 broke it, 4.4.2 fixed it, and the March update to Google Search/Now broke it again. I'm not sure if it is intentionally being broken by one of the two companies or if it is simply two companies not communicating or what.

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm on 4.4.2 on a T-Mo X and my hotword detection works as expected. With my phone sitting there with the screen off, I say 'OK google now' and voice search activates. I say 'what is the weather' and I get a spoken response for the temperature and sky conditions. So, it is not broken in general, but you may have to go back through the Touchless Controls settings or clear cache in the app or in the system.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm on 4.4.2 on a T-Mo X and my hotword detection works as expected. With my phone sitting there with the screen off, I say 'OK google now' and voice search activates. I say 'what is the weather' and I get a spoken response for the temperature and sky conditions. So, it is not broken in general, but you may have to go back through the Touchless Controls settings or clear cache in the app or in the system.

The touchless controls are different from Google's hotword detection. Hotword detection is built into Google Search so you can say "OK, Google" from within Google app or Google Now Launcher to start a voice search. Touchless Control is a Motorola thing that stars from any state the phone is in by saying "Ok, Google Now". It then inputs you're voice request into Google app which takes care of the task.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't know what it is. Hotword detection in Google Now worked on 4.2.2, 4.4 broke it, 4.4.2 fixed it, and the March update to Google Search/Now broke it again. I'm not sure if it is intentionally being broken by one of the two companies or if it is simply two companies not communicating or what.

If I had to guess I'd say Google is breaking it because they don't want the average user confusing Motorola's app with Google's. That's just my guess.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
If I had to guess I'd say Google is breaking it because they don't want the average user confusing Motorola's app with Google's. That's just my guess.

Any way to disable Google's hotword detection without it messing up touchless control?

achiquitachaser

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Sorry if im missing something, but dont you need googles hotword detection enabled if your using moto touchless controls?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Any way to disable Google's hotword detection without it messing up touchless control?

For me it is disabled. Though the setting does not show up, within the Google search app and the Google Now Launcher it does not do anything when I say "OK, Google". If I say " OK, Google Now" touchless control starts up no matter what strate the phone is in. (Other than turned off of course)

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

The touchless controls are different from Google's hotword detection. Hotword detection is built into Google Search so you can say "OK, Google" from within Google app or Google Now Launcher to start a voice search. Touchless Control is a Motorola thing that stars from any state the phone is in by saying "Ok, Google Now". It then inputs you're voice request into Google app which takes care of the task.
I know this thread is about disabling hotword detection and some have said it is broken in 4.4.2. But, if I say "OK Google" in Gmail or Google Now it opens voice search. What is broken about that? I must be missing the point here somehow.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I know this thread is about disabling hotword detection and some have said it is broken in 4.4.2. But, if I say "OK Google" in Gmail or Google Now it opens voice search. What is broken about that? I must be missing the point here somehow.

I'll have to check it out again. I am using a Note 3 right now, so I havent used Google Now on a Moto X in a couple weeks. It is entirely possible that an update in the last week or two fixed it. Anyway, it was working, then an update to Google Search around March 14th broke it again. I'll boot up the X, update the seach app, and check it out and see if it works for me again. Also, I had no idea it ever worked from Gmail.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site

I'll have to check it out again. I am using a Note 3 right now, so I havent used Google Now on a Moto X in a couple weeks. It is entirely possible that an update in the last week or two fixed it. Anyway, it was working, then an update to Google Search around March 14th broke it again. I'll boot up the X, update the seach app, and check it out and see if it works for me again. Also, I had no idea it ever worked from Gmail.

I think that you may be witnessing touchless control recognizing "OK, Google". It very occasionally does that for me. Sometimes I say the official Google phrase and it launches touchless control because I am used to it on my tablet.

You can tell the difference because when touchless control launches you see the black screen that says "Hello Ben" or some variant of that.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think that you may be witnessing touchless control recognizing "OK, Google". It very occasionally does that for me. Sometimes I say the official Google phrase and it launches touchless control because I am used to it on my tablet.

You can tell the difference because when touchless control launches you see the black screen that says "Hello Ben" or some variant of that.

This is what I suspected he was encountering, but thought I'd check it out anyway. Funny though, my touchless control never says "Hello Ben".

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Well, I just fired up my Moto X for the first time in 1.5 weeks, updated Google Search (which is still on the mid March version that broke hotwords detection) and sure enough, hotwords detection worked in Google Now! The setting is still missing but the feature works.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2