rear camera not working

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this is an App conflict, or hardware issue... Wanted to see if others have had it...
over the past week, its gone from once a day to now almost always happening where my rear camera doesnt work. If I open the camera app I only get the front camera with no option to switch... When this started happening a restart would fix it, but now nothing does...
anyone else seen this issue?
thanx
Danny

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Just for the heck of it, go to settings -> apps -> camera -> clear data and reboot and see if that helps. If it doesn't, try settings -> apps -> camera -> uninstall update and reboot and see if that does anything. If not, I'd say what I'm pretty much positive it is, and that's a hardware failure. Especially if the LED light isn't working.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
And howdo you fix hardware failure? I just got this like two weeks ago...

Posted via Android Central App

In all reality, you can't. You need to send it back in and get a replacement. Do the warranty form online, and they should email you a motomaker code to make a new one. They will also email you a printable return label. After the new one comes, you can use Motorola Migrate to copy all your stuff over, then send the broken phone back.

For some phones, you could just break them open and replace the camera (provided it's the camera and not the board). I've done it a few times on regular Galaxy S devices (Vibrant variant). But a device like the X is a pain to break into and when it's under warranty, just get a fresh one.

Posted via Android Central App

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah just get on Motorola support and get a replacement. It was a breeze for me. Should get your replacement within a week and then you send in the one with the bum camera.

LLiekCake

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, this just started happening to my phone's camera today! What the heck. I've had the phone for only about four months and then the rear camera decides to poo itself and break. Aiiigh. Is this just a common thing with Motorola phones? I should've done my research better on finding a smartphone...

Mike Pratali

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
I tackled this issue. Called Motorola and talked my way to a cool tech. They know it's an issue. Question is software or hardware. In short if you cant fix it in safe mode then it's hardware. My fix was hardware and I'm up and running. Paid 10.00 from ebay install took an hour +. Not bad at all.. torx 3 is your friend on this one..

Ar Anik

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Not sure if this is an App conflict, or hardware issue... Wanted to see if others have had it...
over the past week, its gone from once a day to now almost always happening where my rear camera doesnt work. If I open the camera app I only get the front camera with no option to switch... When this started happening a restart would fix it, but now nothing does...
thanx
Danny

I facing same problem :(

Last edited by a moderator:

atkjhi

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm probably the first to report this back in December 2013. It's a hardware failure and don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise. Motorola needs to fix/replace your phone and hopefully it's not as painful as it was for me and others.

irvynteh_23

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
thanx
Danny

Same issue

Last edited by a moderator:

BradTlse

Sep 17, 2016
Visit site
Well I have got the same problem with a Moto X 2013, with Android 5.1.
I cannot say if it is related to a software update.
It started with some freezing of the Camera App and then the back side Camera disappeared completely (no longer possible to switch and the flash cannot be used anymore).
It tends to be OK with the front camera (selfie), once the other one is ignored.
I have considered both hardware and software.
With software most of all the tricks given within forum have been attempted: emptying cache, wiping, even reinitialization of the phone - nothing worked.
With hardware:
-squeezing the phone on the back side has given the illusion it could be effective (the back camera was restored, but only for some minutes).
-I changed the flash (I anticipated something wrong in it could impact on the camera behaviour)
-I changed the camera itself for a new one.
Well each time something is changed on the hardware (open the phone, disconnect) makes the camera recognized again when powering up the phone, but an action as simple as switching to the front camera, or exiting software makes it hang.
Hanging of the back camera goes with hanging of the flash application.
I suspect the things are linked to some native sofware issues; however everything appears updated and really I don't know how to fix it. The version of the camera software is 5.011.17. Or it is hardware not concerning camera devices.
Also running the phone with only the back camera (front camera and flash unplugged) produced freezing after being recognized.
Now I am attempting with a third party software camera. I don't know if it can be a solution.
We don't see so much comments within forums about these issues over the last year. Out of hope?
Thanks for your help.