Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Media transfer is driving me mad.

I took a video today that I would like to be able to email to my family. It is only 3 seconds long, yet it will not play on any device other than my moto x.

What am I doing wrong? I have tried emailing it to myself and opening it on my computer...it comes up as a blank screen on my media player while playing. I've tried playing it on the Google drive on my PC and I get the message "We cannot display this video right now" with the option to download. When I click download, it takes me to an "about:blank" page with nothing on it. I can also click on Google Drive Viewer, which gives me the message "no preview available" "this video is not yet processed".

I've also tried just transferring via USB, but again...it comes up as a blank screen while playing.

On my Moto X however, the video plays just fine. The video is showing up as 8mb which is also alarming to me since this is only a 3sec video. How could this be? Is it on some sort of hi def? Is there a way to make future videos not in hi def? I captured it in my camera by clicking on the video icon. And I can't seem to find any settings for video.

I got my Moto X in December and I've gotta say, I'm becoming more and more unimpressed between the poor camera quality and the issues I'm having with transferring files. Because those are the main things I use my phone for other than phone calls and web surfing.

Can anyone give me some advice? And help me figure out how to upload this video? It was a special moment of one of my children and I'm going to be pretty sad if it is just stuck on my phone forever and can't be saved any other way. Also, I have heard there is a way to capture video within the messenger so it can be sent via text but I cant seem to figure that out either.

Global Posts
    3,935 Global Posts
    ROM
    Phoenix 1.6 Sense 5 4.2.2

Default Re: Media transfer is driving me mad.

Quote Originally Posted by knitsewmuch View Post
    I took a video today that I would like to be able to email to my family. It is only 3 seconds long, yet it will not play on any device other than my moto x.

What am I doing wrong? I have tried emailing it to myself and opening it on my computer...it comes up as a blank screen on my media player while playing. I've tried playing it on the Google drive on my PC and I get the message "We cannot display this video right now" with the option to download. When I click download, it takes me to an "about:blank" page with nothing on it. I can also click on Google Drive Viewer, which gives me the message "no preview available" "this video is not yet processed".

I've also tried just transferring via USB, but again...it comes up as a blank screen while playing.

On my Moto X however, the video plays just fine. The video is showing up as 8mb which is also alarming to me since this is only a 3sec video. How could this be? Is it on some sort of hi def? Is there a way to make future videos not in hi def? I captured it in my camera by clicking on the video icon. And I can't seem to find any settings for video.

I got my Moto X in December and I've gotta say, I'm becoming more and more unimpressed between the poor camera quality and the issues I'm having with transferring files. Because those are the main things I use my phone for other than phone calls and web surfing.

Can anyone give me some advice? And help me figure out how to upload this video? It was a special moment of one of my children and I'm going to be pretty sad if it is just stuck on my phone forever and can't be saved any other way. Also, I have heard there is a way to capture video within the messenger so it can be sent via text but I cant seem to figure that out either.
    Hello. What email client are you using? Also, what did you use to play it on the PC? Try playing it with VLC Media Player.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

In September of 2014 comes the greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone. Unlock bootloader, flash recovery, root, and more. Open sourced, powerful, powered by the cloud via SSL, and best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks foe your reply. I used my Gmail account to email it to my Yahoo account just as a test. So I downloaded it on my PC via Yahoo. My phone would not even allow me to send via Yahoo mail for some reason.

I have windows 8 and I tried opening the file with Windows Media player and just the "Video Player" (not sure of it's exact name, it just says Video on my computer). I claims to open the video and be playing it, but the screen is blank. What is VLC media player? Is that a third party player? I'm not familiar with it if it is already on Windows 8.

Global Posts
    3,935 Global Posts
    ROM

Thanks foe your reply. I used my Gmail account to email it to my Yahoo account just as a test. So I downloaded it on my PC via Yahoo. My phone would not even allow me to send via Yahoo mail for some reason.

I have windows 8 and I tried opening the file with Windows Media player and just the "Video Player" (not sure of it's exact name, it just says Video on my computer). I claims to open the video and be playing it, but the screen is blank. What is VLC media player? Is that a third party player? I'm not familiar with it if it is already on Windows 8.
    VLC is a thrid-party player that can play literally any format. VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework!

It's 100% open-sourced and free.

When I said email client, I meant if you were using the stock email app, third party email app, gmail app, etc.
    “Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who know only what to think.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

In September of 2014 comes the greatest tool to modify almost any HTC phone. Unlock bootloader, flash recovery, root, and more. Open sourced, powerful, powered by the cloud via SSL, and best of all, it's 100% free. All built by me. Get ready to rock!

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yep, I got that part. I used my Gmail account on my phone and emailed it to my Yahoo account. Then I opened my Yahoo account on my PC and downloaded it.

It is showing as an mp4 file, isn't that the standard for video? I just cant figure out why in the world nothing but my phone can play it...or how a 3 second video is 8.5 MB???

Global Posts
    3,935 Global Posts
    ROM

Testing, for some reason it is saying my replies are awaiting moderation???
    Are you using the AC App/ Tapatalk or the website itself to post?

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Using the actual site. It seems it said they were awaiting moderation when I hit reply on your post, but when I just "Reply" it worked fine. So I guess I will just do it that way haha.

It is showing as an mp4 file, isn't that the standard for video? I just cant figure out why in the world nothing but my phone can play it...or how a 3 second video is 8.5 MB???
    Its 1080p... 17.5 Mbps. Unfortunately Moto X's stock camera has no way to take smaller vids. Going forward you could download the Google Camera from Play. It allows for lower rez images and videos.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Good to know. I will try that. Is this also the reason it won't play on my windows 8 media player?

Global Posts
    3,935 Global Posts
    ROM

Good to know. I will try that. Is this also the reason it won't play on my windows 8 media player?
    Not sure. That's why I said you should try VLC.

-Wizzrah, Android Central Ambassador | Sent from my AT&T HTC One X running CodefireX 4.4.2

Can't help you with Windows 8. They play fine in QuickTime on my Mac, and also in the default video player on my Nexus 7.

You definitely should check out VLC player.

Global Posts
    562 Global Posts

I use VLC for everything and have not had a problem. Bear in mind that "MP4" is just a file container, not really a format. There's all kinds of parameters with what fits inside that container that can disrupt a player.