Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is the Moto X still worth getting?

So, im in the market for a off contract android phone. Really, I can only spend about 400 dollars, so im deciding between the moto x and the nexus 5.

The selling points of the moto x for me are its battery life and near stock UI. plus touchless control sounds cool.

However, some worries I have are that its not going to be recieving many, if any, updates going forward, since a new phone will be dropping soonish and lenovo is now the owner of Motorola.

as far as Nexus 5 selling points are the screen and processor and that itll get updates first.

However, I noticed the battery not really being to my liking.

Is the moto x still a good buy right now? or should I go with the nexus 5?
    codehut likes this.

Default re: Is the Moto X still worth getting?

I was going to ask the same thing, I had a Nexus 5 for about 5 months and loved the phone, never had any issues with the battery or anything else for that matter, but I now have the opportunity to buy a Moto X for cheap and I'm considering it! I own a S5, but there isnt a huge difference between the S5 and S4 so I'm thinking of letting my wife use it and I could buy the Moto X.

I think both phones are matched quite evenly, the touchless controls are a pro for Moto X but I believe the camera is better on the Nexus 5
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Oates View Post
    I was going to ask the same thing, I had a Nexus 5 for about 5 months and loved the phone, never had any issues with the battery or anything else for that matter, but I now have the opportunity to buy a Moto X for cheap and I'm considering it! I own a S5, but there isnt a huge difference between the S5 and S4 so I'm thinking of letting my wife use it and I could buy the Moto X.

I think both phones are matched quite evenly, the touchless controls are a pro for Moto X but I believe the camera is better on the Nexus 5
    I was able to get to the end of the day on the N5, but I was pushing like 4 percent left if I had heavy use. But I could probably make due if I carried a external battery on long days or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    I was able to get to the end of the day on the N5, but I was pushing like 4 percent left if I had heavy use. But I could probably make due if I carried a external battery on long days or whatever.
    Yeah don't get me wrong, come the end of the day my Nexus was almost dead, having used the S5 for a week now, I really appreciate a good battery. Does the MotoX have a stronger battery performace over the Nexus 5?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Oates View Post
    Yeah don't get me wrong, come the end of the day my Nexus was almost dead, having used the S5 for a week now, I really appreciate a good battery. Does the MotoX have a stronger battery performace over the Nexus 5?
    From what I hear, definitely. And that's the main selling point for me. I'm just weighing if it's worth trading the screen, internals, and quick updates of a N5.

When I read that back, I'm not sure if it is :/

My Moto X has the best battery life of any phone I have had, and the most useful features. I would say it is worth buying over the N5, but to each his/her own. Both phones are about the same age, so I would say it comes down to which do you prefer.

I had the nexus 5 at one point. Signal reception was really poor, but that may not be the case with you.

I guess the camera must have gotten better? It was a blurry mess when I had it. The battery life was horrible until I rooted the device and switch to Franco kernel.

I don't have my nexus 5 anymore, I do have a moto X. I unlocked and rooted it the day I got it.... And I have done nothing with it in those terms. It is still completely stock.

The phone just works great as is. It's battery is great, it's every bit as fast as my nexus, and for me, the camera has been great. I have gotten some great photos, to the point I can rarely tell if my photo was taken by my moto X or my iphone 5s.

I sold the iphone 5s yesterday and am keeping the moto X. It's that good.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGoldAce View Post
    I had the nexus 5 at one point. Signal reception was really poor, but that may not be the case with you.

I guess the camera must have gotten better? It was a blurry mess when I had it. The battery life was horrible until I rooted the device and switch to Franco kernel.

I don't have my nexus 5 anymore, I do have a moto X. I unlocked and rooted it the day I got it.... And I have done nothing with it in those terms. It is still completely stock.

The phone just works great as is. It's battery is great, it's every bit as fast as my nexus, and for me, the camera has been great. I have gotten some great photos, to the point I can rarely tell if my photo was taken by my moto X or my iphone 5s.

I sold the iphone 5s yesterday and am keeping the moto X. It's that good.

I'm really considering buying the Moto X even if it's just to experience it. I dont know one person who has a bad thing to say about it. When I mentioned above about the camera, that was purely going on what I've heard elsewhere - is the camera good? the camera and battery are a main factor for me

Is the Moto X still worth getting?-uploadfromtaptalk1399469921443.jpgIs the Moto X still worth getting?-uploadfromtaptalk1399469974355.jpg

The first photo is a quick snap with the moto X. The second one was my first attempt with the blur effect using the Google camera.

I'm no expert, but my wife is a professional photographer. She says the iphone over sharpens images and lacks detail. She grabs my moto X to take a picture before she grabs here iPhone.

I enjoy the pictures I have taken.

Battery life is outstanding. Close to the galaxy s5, which I had for two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGoldAce View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1399469921443.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	116853Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1399469974355.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	116854

The first photo is a quick snap with the moto X. The second one was my first attempt with the blur effect using the Google camera.

I'm no expert, but my wife is a professional photographer. She says the iphone over sharpens images and lacks detail. She grabs my moto X to take a picture before she grabs here iPhone.

I enjoy the pictures I have taken.

Battery life is outstanding. Close to the galaxy s5, which I had for two weeks.

Seriously, is the battery that good? I need to get one now lol. The camera is important to me, and going by ur quick snaps I dont think I've got anything to worry about - I know its only a phone, if I want amazing pics I'll buy a camera, but as long as it can capture everyday pics I'm happy.

The galaxy s5 has great battery life. The moto X is a close second, if not as good, and half the price. The moto X is much better than the nexus battery wise.

Thanked by:

I have no experience with the N5, but I do recall certain reviews/comparisons noted that the Moto X is superior in being a phone--that is reception, call quality, and especially the audio from the speaker. If phone functions are important, that should be something to check out--Motorola's capabilities as a phone were an high consideration for me.

As for updates, don't think that because Lenovo owns Motorola it will be impacted. The OS on the Moto X is as close to stock Android as you can get without getting a Nexus. I imagine we'll see at least 1 more major revision, depending on timing. Honestly, I think there will need to be groundbreaking improvements to make a major revision a need anymore, most/all of Google's apps are updated through the Play Store, and they're adding new features through Google Play Services, without having to release an OS update.

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

Motorola is still owned by Google. The acquisition likely won't close for another 4-6 months or so, which should be long enough to get the next version of Android onto the X. Beyond that is anyone's guess.

Posted via Android Central App

If leveno is smart, they will leave Motorola to continue its trends, as they have stated they will.

I think the Nexus 5 is the bigger bang for the buck.
    I don't think you would be disappointed.
    My History of Phones.
    2007 - 2011 iPhone 2G 3G 3GS 4G
    2012 - 2013 Samsung Galaxy S3 S4
    2014 - Google Nexus 5
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,028 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by freeoscar View Post
    Motorola is still owned by Google. The acquisition likely won't close for another 4-6 months or so, which should be long enough to get the next version of Android onto the X. Beyond that is anyone's guess.

Posted via Android Central App
    I'm not sure why everyone thinks the deal is done already.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts

They are two different phones each with its own merit. I also had the task of choosing between the two and finally went with the Moto X. The grass is always greener on the other side and sometimes I wonder if I am missing out, but I have 0 complaints with the Moto X. This is my first Android phone since the Moto Droid 2 (being an iPhone user since) and I really think this is the best phone I have ever owned. The Nexus is the Nexus though, the latest and greatest from Google at a reasonable price. That is whole different ball game.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,028 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    So, im in the market for a off contract android phone. Really, I can only spend about 400 dollars, so im deciding between the moto x and the nexus 5.

The selling points of the moto x for me are its battery life and near stock UI. plus touchless control sounds cool.

However, some worries I have are that its not going to be recieving many, if any, updates going forward, since a new phone will be dropping soonish and lenovo is now the owner of Motorola.

as far as Nexus 5 selling points are the screen and processor and that itll get updates first.

However, I noticed the battery not really being to my liking.

Is the moto x still a good buy right now? or should I go with the nexus 5?
    Moto X is still a great buy right now.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

You know you want it.
    You won't regret it.

Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    ROM
    MIUI

Someone just asked me to recommend a phone yesterday, and I said "Moto X" without hesitation.

Global Posts
    355 Global Posts

Get a used 16gb on swappa for cheap and you can always resell it for virtually no loss.
    Darth Spock likes this.

My recommendation would be to wait. That is if you can.

I know when the upgrade bug hits, it hits hard and waiting doesn't seem like an option. But with so many new phones coming out, you could potentially avoid buyer's remorse, or just snag a better deal on a current phone.

With the "X+1" coming out "soon", and rumors of the Nexus 6 floating around, I would try and hold off. Or, the OnePlus One if you can handle a bigger phone. Within your price range, and has a little better specs.

I personally never liked the Moto X, it was ergonomically and aesthetically a good phone, I am just a specs kind of guy. Moto's processor and 720p doesn't do it for me on paper when my Droid DNA from Nov, 2012 has 1080p. Just my two cents though.

Quote Originally Posted by gunzkevin View Post
    My recommendation would be to wait. That is if you can.

I know when the upgrade bug hits, it hits hard and waiting doesn't seem like an option. But with so many new phones coming out, you could potentially avoid buyer's remorse, or just snag a better deal on a current phone.

With the "X+1" coming out "soon", and rumors of the Nexus 6 floating around, I would try and hold off. Or, the OnePlus One if you can handle a bigger phone. Within your price range, and has a little better specs.

I personally never liked the Moto X, it was ergonomically and aesthetically a good phone, I am just a specs kind of guy. Moto's processor and 720p doesn't do it for me on paper when my Droid DNA from Nov, 2012 has 1080p. Just my two cents though.
    I've never understood the specs people. Some of them act like specs are everything. The way I look at it is if the phone works well with no lag or glitches and it has stock android it is a good phone. I don't look at the spec sheet except to find out if the screen is too big (anything bigger than 5in), the size of the battery, and whether or not it has vanilla Android or some crappy skin. I see the Moto X as the best phone I've ever used, and I came to it from my higher specked Galaxy S4

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    6,705 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Is the Moto X still worth getting?

I would agree with everyone thus far that indicated if you were buying a phone today that the X is still a very viable and capable device. The only caveat would be if you were thinking of buying a device in the next few months. In that case, I'd say let's look at the G3 and the X+1 first. Other than that, I'd be on the same Nexus vs X decision train and I bought the X twice.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast