Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default vzw motoX on t-mobile

So, I made the big switch yesterday and I have 2 questions for those that have already made the jump. I have a non-DE motoX. Things seemed to be working fine last night, but earlier today, I started getting an error message saying "unknown sim source" or something to that effect. I was then not able to call/text and my phone number was "unknown" in the settings. I was, however, able to connect to T-mobile's LTE and got good speeds. I went into the store and the guy tried to help me with APN's, but couldn't do anything. It turned out I was either able to be on the data, or voice/sms system, but not at the same time. When I am on a Wifi, I am able to access data from Wifi and voice from mobile. This is good for home, but not when, say I'm driving... for obvious reasons. I have scoured the internet and when someone starts a question like this, there doesn't ever seem to be a fitting resolution.

Here are my questions:
    1. Is this just early jitters from porting my number over from Verizon or is there something more serious going on?
    2. Should there be an OS update, how will it get to me since it has verizon software, but on the tmo network? (this is the lesser of my 2 questions; more of curiosity)

So your using a Verizon moto x on T-Mobile?
    Did the phone ever work with both internet and voice?

If it's a T-Mobile phone purchased from them then take it back and tell them to fix or you want to return and get a new one.

Default Re: vzw motoX on t-mobile

...Here are my questions:
    1. Is this just early jitters from porting my number over from Verizon or is there something more serious going on?
    2. Should there be an OS update, how will it get to me since it has verizon software, but on the tmo network? (this is the lesser of my 2 questions; more of curiosity)
    Tried this with a Nokia 928 which I bought [ETF]. Could get calls [with ST sim] but no data, it being locked by Verizon. Upon calling them to unlock my phone they said, "We don't unlock our phones."
    If I read your questions correctly this might be the problem.

Did you set mobile network to gsm?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

The network is set to LTE/gsm/umts and not LTE/CDMA. There are brief moments when I'll get both. I'm writing this on my phone with a good LTE signal, but in the settings>about phone, the number is unknown. I think I'm going to have to go back in to the big evil red store and beg then to unlock it. I'll let you know how it goes.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

It is starting to seem that, when not on Wi-Fi but the mobile network, I lose my phone number when it switched into LTE. Is there a setting that I can't find that turns off only LTE? I can live with h+. The only setting I've found is for gsm only out umts only.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,031 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 4runnerbrett View Post
    So your using a Verizon moto x on T-Mobile?
    Did the phone ever work with both internet and voice?

If it's a T-Mobile phone purchased from them then take it back and tell them to fix or you want to return and get a new one.
    T-Mobile doesn't sell the Moto X.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Alright, I think i figured it out. It doesn't like 4G LTE. The only way that I can get data and voice simultaneously is if I put the phone in UMTS only mode. If the mode is set to automatic, it'll connect to the LTE band and "forget" the phone number. the worst part is that I don't connect to edge, which may be the only available band and I might miss a few calls. But I don't actually use the phone as a phone much, so it's not terrible. But annoying enough for me to start saving money for the x+1.