Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sending Outbound Texts Using Google Voice with Moto X

I have a:

Model: Moto X
    Android Version: 4.4.2
    Network: Sprint (Republic Wireless)

I can't seem to send texts using my Google Voice Number from this screen in the Google Voice app:

Sending Outbound Texts Using Google Voice with Moto X-download.jpg

It appears the problem occurs when I am trying to text someone who has left a voicemail for me. It opens whatever my default SMS program, Hangouts and Messenger are the only options since I'm on Kit Kat, and sends from my phone's number. I am able to send from my Google Voice number from the main Google Voice app inbox and to reply to text messages.

While I would like to keep my calls and texts to one app, I have no problem using Hangouts or Messenger to accomplish the goal of sending texts from my Google Voice number. I was successfully able to send texts using my Google Voice number on the app with my old phone, the LG VS840 4G, on Verizon Wireless, but no luck on the Moto X.

When I set my default messaging app to Messenger and change the relevant setting in Google Voice a somewhat different problem occurs. I can reply to a text just fine, but when I create a new text it is from my phone's number not my Google Voice number. Finally, Google Now is sending from my phone's number not my Google Voice number either.

Frankly, I'd rather have an old phone and be able to use the same phone number that I've used for years than deal with this limitation. Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Ben Donahower; 05-22-2014 at 09:46 AM. Reason: found additional issues and information to present

Default Re: Sending Outbound Texts Using Google Voice with Moto X

I have the same issues with SMS. In addition I can't get my Google Voice Mail to work. I have T-Mobile and even when I have Google Voice selected to be my Voice Mail solution, it's the T-Mobile VM that always responds to the calls.
    Hopefully someone has a solution?