Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By drew_sf
  • 1 Post By heyomayo
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Dark Lines on Bamboo Moto X

Just got my replacement for my Navy Moto x. Went with a Bamboo Moto X and it looks amazing. As I looked it over, I noticed the wood almost looks see through. I noticed a couple dark lines that go horizontal across the back. It looks like its under the wood instead of on top of it. Has anyone else experienced this? Ill try to post pictures of it later.

Global Posts
    561 Global Posts

Mine should come tomorrow. I'll give it a good twice over.

N/M. It's not bamboo.

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Dark Lines on Bamboo Moto X

Dark Lines on Bamboo Moto X-img_20140617_163545797.jpg
    Okay I tried to include a picture. I also found a small red dot in the middle of the wood. It is very tough to see the line. It is right under the Verizon Logo.

Yes, I also noticed this on mine...drove me nuts. Looks great but I can't help it, ended up switching to the Walnut version.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Here's Mine I think I see them too never noticed itDark Lines on Bamboo Moto X-20140617_231833.jpg

Global Posts
    561 Global Posts

I wish I knew how they were making these things. I wonder if it's "layered" paper for lack of a better term, that gets pieced together and painted? It's definitely a difficult process, however they're doing it!

Posted via Android Central App

I think you guys are being too critical about the wood backs. It is made of wood and could have flaws in texture or graining. I just got one with the walnut back and there is one pinpoint mark on the surface. I chuck this to the nature of the material and I'm fine with it.

Go back to the plastic back if you want a flawless surface.
    Thanked by:
    ultravisitor and Ry like this.

Yes! I just received mine yesterday, and same thing. I noticed the horizontal lines immediately. It does not strike me as something that is just a natural part of the grain, since it is exactly perpendicular to the grain. I wonder if something is up with the current batch of these backings.

Photo of mine:
    Dark Lines on Bamboo Moto X-2014-06-18_1020.png

I knew it would drive me crazy so I contacted Motorola right away. They are letting me do a redesign/exchange since that's part of the normal return window anyway. My plan is to just order another bamboo one and hope I get a different batch, but if I get another stripey one I guess I'm stuck with it.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Im glad im not the only one who noticed this. I contacted Motorola. The guy I talked to was a complete jerk and couldn't understand the dark lines I was talking about was not part of the wood design. Since this was a replacement in the first place I have to wait to receive my last one. Then I can tart this redesign process.

Quote Originally Posted by drew_sf View Post
    I think you guys are being too critical about the wood backs. It is made of wood and could have flaws in texture or graining. I just got one with the walnut back and there is one pinpoint mark on the surface. I chuck this to the nature of the material and I'm fine with it.
    Seriously. I don't see the problems here.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Seriously. I don't see the problems here.
    #bambooproblems
    bc2k likes this.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

I don't have any issues, like I said if you could actually read what i wrote, I never noticed them and I think I can see them. Thanks ok.

Had the Walnut and it developed slight "dings" in it. Replaced it with a Bamboo. The Bamboo has VERY faint horizontal striping.
    Believe it might be from the manufacturing process but don't really know.
    Have not let it get to me.
    I'm happy with my Bamboo.

Global Posts
    7,553 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

It is tough to se the flaws you guys are seeing from viewing the pics posted.
    From the pics they look fine to me

Quote Originally Posted by davidnc View Post
    +1 The backs on all three pictures look great on my monitor.
    It's my immaturity that keeps me young.

Quote Originally Posted by davidnc View Post
    I can see the horizontal striping. I think it's ridiculous that people are sending back their phones because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    I can see the horizontal striping. I think it's ridiculous that people are sending back their phones because of it.
    I agree. It's like the finish on the table in the first picture: it has a dent and the grain is protruding through the finish. It must be DEFECTIVE!
    It's my immaturity that keeps me young.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

I understand these are very difficult to see in a picture then on a monitor. In Person, you can clearly see the horizontal lines and as you can tell multiple others have had similar problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by kansasandroid1 View Post
    I understand these are very difficult to see in a picture then on a monitor. In Person, you can clearly see the horizontal lines and as you can tell multiple others have had similar problems with it.
    Well....almost totally correct. You see, I don't consider it a problem.
    Consider machining marks on metal; unless it interferes with function, it's not a problem.
    That is the way I look at the natural wood backs.
    Wood is unforgiving like that: it dents and marks fairly easy.
    Consider it a function of it's charm.