What does remotely disable mean?

NYRbeezer

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I decided to keep my try then buy moto x, but I was reading the FAQ that I never read and it says that people who don't send theirs back could have them remotely disabled. What does that do? Couldn't those people still use wifi and use it as sort of a mini wifi only tablet or do they really disable it meaning no use whatsoever?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I decided to keep my try then buy moto x, but I was reading the FAQ that I never read and it says that people who don't send theirs back could have them remotely disabled. What does that do? Couldn't those people still use wifi and use it as sort of a mini wifi only tablet or do they really disable it meaning no use whatsoever?

If you are referring to the Try-then-buy offer from Motorola, you have 14 days to try it free. If you don't return it, they'll assume you want to keep it and they will charge you for it.

Source: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/100122

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It can't be a killswitch, since that's not allowed nationwide yet. But I imagine they would render the IMEI invalid, meaning you couldn't make calls on it. What this also would mean is that the device would essentially become stolen property. So clearly, not a good idea.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
With Android Device manager you can remotely Lock and Reset Device Password. I imagine that is what will happen only it will be Motorola doing it.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
With Android Device manager you can remotely Lock and Reset Device Password. I imagine that is what will happen only it will be Motorola doing it.

This!

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech