Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Default Transferred upgrade and MotoMaker with Verizon?

Has anyone been able to do an alternate upgrade to a Motorola Moto-X customized on the MotoMaker website (e.g., transfer an upgrade from line 1 to line 2 and order a customized Moto-X for line 2)? I've tried this several times online and when it gets to the end, it says the line with the transferred upgrade (i.e., line 2) is not eligible. It's like the upgrade transfer doesn't actually take place until you buy a phone off the VZW website.

I even tried in a corporate store and they could only give me two options: 1) upgrade using line 1 (i.e., don't try to transfer the upgrade) and transfer the phone to line 2 later, or 2) pay for the phone in the store and enter the purchase id number on the MotoMaker website. The problem with that is the phone on MotoMaker is $50.01 for the 32G model and buying it in store is $199 (less a $25 discount).

Global Posts
    6,425 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Transferred upgrade and MotoMaker with Verizon?

I've never heard of that working, but if you get it to work I'd love to learn how you did it.

You can upgrade on line 1. Then when the phone comes in, you put your SIM card in it. If that doesn't work, take it to the Verizon store and have them put it on your number. The only thing that matters about an upgrade is that you signed another 2 year contract. I have switched phones with my wife plenty of times, we just switch the cards out. If you don't have a micro SIM, you will have to go to the Verizon store. Should be that simple. It has been for me at least. Good luck!

Posted via Android Central App
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Thanks, pdamiel219. I do know that will work. The thing I didn't explicitly say is that line 1 currently has unlimited data - which I want to keep - while line 2 has 2GB. If I do the upgrade on line 1 the ULD is lost. I was hoping to find a way around that.

Oh! Sorry. Understood. I have had absolutely no luck with keeping unlimited data. There's gotta be a way. Verizon customer service kept unlimited data for a friend of mine, but it was after he upgraded. They can do it, but I'm sure it's just who you talk to. Good luck and keep us updated.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    6,425 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

I'm sorry but I don't think there is a way to get this done on a moto maker device. I have unlimited too and have done the transfer upgrade to get my wife's stock moto x but my custom one I bought outright when they went on sale. You cities do the xfer upgrade for an lg g3 or m8 or iPhone and sell it then buy the custom x outright.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime. Android Central Moderator.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

That's a bummer. I don't really want to go the buy another and sell it approach, so I guess I need to decide which is more important - the additional memory or unlimited data.

Those of you with only 16GB - do you feel "cramped" and really wished you had more memory or do you think it's ok as is?

Global Posts
    6,425 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

If you haven't seen this yet, this is the route I'd go: Moto X $300/$325/$375 for 16/32/64gb Save the upgrade for something down the road or buy an expensive device with it based on the margin from resale.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Thanks! I hadn't seen that post yet. Certainly something to consider.