How to get the rumored 20+ Hour battery life?

moviedude2k

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi there, I originally was apprehensive about switching to the Moto X since it didn't have the addictive blinky light , but was assured time and time again that active notifications were much better.. Well.. good news I am a believer. Now, the question I have is how are people (from what I have read) consistently getting 20 hours of battery life? The reported battery life and the size was the reason I go this phone, but I am unable to get 10-12 hours out of it... and this is with all sorts of battery optimization apps.. and sub 2 hours of screen time. It really is just frustrating... my Sony Z1 Compact would get 15-18 hours no problem.. The Moto X is a far superior phone... but where is this legendary battery life I have heard of?

Any tips?

I am on AT&T. 4.4.4 Kit Kat.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi there, I originally was apprehensive about switching to the Moto X since it didn't have the addictive blinky light , but was assured time and time again that active notifications were much better.. Well.. good news I am a believer. Now, the question I have is how are people (from what I have read) consistently getting 20 hours of battery life? The reported battery life and the size was the reason I go this phone, but I am unable to get 10-12 hours out of it... and this is with all sorts of battery optimization apps.. and sub 2 hours of screen time. It really is just frustrating... my Sony Z1 Compact would get 15-18 hours no problem.. The Moto X is a far superior phone... but where is this legendary battery life I have heard of?

Any tips?

I am on AT&T. 4.4.4 Kit Kat.

Battery optimization apps are, for the most part, gimmicky at best. Most of them actually make your battery life worse because Android has functions built in to deal with apps that aren't doing anything useful running in the background.

I have never heard of anyone getting 20 hours of use on the moto x. I can typically go 16 hours off the charger before I have to plug in again though. Battery life greatly depends on personal usage, but there are things you can do to lengthen times between charges. For instance you can lower the brightness or use the auto feature, don't use live wallpapers, set syncing times for email accounts and calendars to 1 hour, use Wi-Fi most of the day instead of cellular data, and much more. Each one of these will only give a minor improvement to battery life, but together people have had good results. It is generally recommended over battery saving apps that do nothing.

It all boils down to how you use your device, though. If you are one to sit and use the phone with the screen on for hours at a time then your length between charges will only be a handful of hours. I suggest you do a little searching on Google to find even more ways to save a little power, but shy away from the apps that claim to add how's upon hours to your battery life because they are simply false claims.

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
20hrs isn't hard, definitely get rid of the battery apps. And you really need to look at what is using your battery, if your phone is sleeping like it should, cell signal quality and what using data...
Then go from there
If an app is using background data that doesn't need to, then restrict it's background ability, this will decrease your phones wakes
I'm unplugged from 7am till 10 or 11 every day and have battery to spare, screen set to auto, 2hrs of screen time
Danny

Posted via Android Central App

Jack33

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
My biggest gripe about Moto X is the battery life. I had Moto Razr Maxx and got used to not worrying about mid-day charge. However, with Moto X I'll be down to around 30% at the 12hr mark. It's not bad, but I like to charge it mid-day to ensure that I have enough juice in the evening (esp. if I'm going out). I don't use any battery saver, have typically static black screen, and 1/2 dozen widgets and four emails syncing at 1hr intervals. I'm thinking about getting GS Note 3 or 4, with much bigger battery. Oh, and I don't do Facebook app: heard those kill battery and data.

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I keep wifi, bluetooth, data, and gps on all the time. I keep brightness on auto, have Location services on high accuracy, and turn off Google location services (huge battery hog, and being off doesn't affect Navigation or anything else I do). I sync Gmail manually. I keep wifi on during sleep always and have wifi optimization checked, but no others checked. I'm on wifi most of the day and always touch the power button to turn off the screen when I put it down. Battery optimizers never helped me. I love the Home Assist voice features on calls and texting. I suppose I have fairly light/moderate use, but I only charge every 1.5 to 2 days. Oh yeah, I turn off my phone at night. I have no need for it to be on while I'm sleeping.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I notice my battery life is much worse when I am not on wifi (huge duh). But I'm always surprised how much worse it is. It can sit on my desk all day at work and seems to hardly move. I go out to dinner and it drops very quickly.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
To get the epic battery life some of us enjoy is not easy. The first thing I did that increased my battery life dramatically was buying a tablet. The next thing that greatly reduced my battery usage was I stopped "playing" with my phone. I use my phone for useful/needed stuff. Now I enjoy 2 days per charge on my phone and 2 days per charge on my tablet. The strict separation of usage has highly reduced how often I have to recharge and will increase the life span of each device. I also never go anywhere without my attache case so carrying both devices is no problem for me. I understand this usage profile is not for everyone so this info is more for those that can.

Screenshot_2014-08-26-00-41-10.png Screenshot_2014-08-29-21-10-27.png

These are 3 days a part.

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Battery life was a huge factor in my decision to by the Moto X in August 2014. Coming from an HTC Amaze, I am thrilled with the battery life. For my kind of use age pattern, I easily get 15 hours with 3 hours screen time. I mainly listen to music, podcasts, surf the web, make receive about 20 minutes of calls. Use a Bluetooth audio headset a couple of hours. Hardly any social media. Everything is switched on (brightness on max). Have about 20 apps installed and no games.

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I am easily getting a full 24 hours with no real attempts at optimization, unless I stream a lot. I can charge my phone overnight, use it all day, spend the night elsewhere w/o charge, and get home in the evening with battery.

Snake Griffin

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
You want 20+ battery life? Don't have the screen on. Seriously, if you look at any battery stats with that high of battery life without charge there's most likely less than 1h of screen time. This is assuming mostly wifi or at least a good and consistent cell network connection.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Not much to say. I don't do anything drastic. Stock rooted vzw 4.4.4
eba6aqa4.jpg
ja2etuqe.jpg

Sent from my XT1060

FrontRoyalCPU

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
My secret is to keep the screen brightness as low as possible. There is an app, lux, that allows you to go below 0 percent.
Keep the screen off as much as possible.
I have the LG G watch and a Bluetooth headset connected all day.

Attachments

• 8960.jpg
    8960.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 8959.jpg
    8959.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 63

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I have everything on (BT, WiFi, GPS) and brightness at 50% and usually get 16 hours with 40%+ remaining at bedtime. I don't make calls but do use a generous amount of data (upwards of 6gigs a month). The Moto X has been a battery champ for me; literally twice as good as my previous phones (Droid Incredible and Galaxy Nexus).

I like that tablet/phone idea.

Maybe a Cache Partition Wipe could help:

This will remove any temporary files that may be causing the problem, but will not delete your files or
settings.
1 With the phone powered off, press the VOL DOWN KEY for 2-3 seconds then POWER key then release.
2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS
ЗUse the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select
Tip
If the device reboots, you may have waited to long to make a selection, you w
need to begin the
process again.
4. The device will display the Motorola logo and then the Android in distress (logo with Exclamation mark)
5. Press and hold the VOL UP key for 10-15 seconds. While s
holding the VOL UP key tap and release
the
POWER key
Tip: You can try this step holding the phone in landscape. If you are stuck on step 6, try a force reboot by
pressing the Power key and vol Down key and start the process again.
бThe device will display additional menu options (Text w
appear in BLUE)
7 Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll to wipe cache partition and the POWER Key to select this option
8.The device will then perform the partition wipe
9.The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs