What Would You Change For the Moto X2 (Assuming There Would Be One)?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: What Would You Change For the X2 (Assuming There Would Be One)?

There's no question that they will put in a 1080P screen on their next phone. I know they will. I just don't think they should. You may be right in your assertion that I have just gotten used to the resolution on my phone, but at the same time, ANY small screen doesn't provide for a great experience when viewing media. Its just too small. They could make Super Duper Ultra HD screens, but it will still be too small to make the experience great for media viewing.

Also, while the battery life on the X is good, inevitably, they will put a bigger battery in the second one. Unfortunately, any gains you would get with a bigger battery are lost with a higher-res screen. I personally would like to see the 5+ hours of screen time go to 8-9 hours and keep the resolution the same. I know... It'll never happen.

Sounds like the Maxx would be a good option for you. Same phone for the most part, way bigger battery

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Sounds like the Maxx would be a good option for you. Same phone for the most part, way bigger battery

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

I was seriously considering the Maxx at one point, but I liked the size and form factor of the Moto X, so I went with that. I like the bigger battery, not so much because the things I do require a lot of on-screen use, but because the less often you have to charge your phone, the longer that battery will last. The battery begins to not hold a charge as well after about a year. And I'm not one of these people that switches phones every year. I like to run my phones into the ground (like my cars). lol.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The main thing I want to see is SERIOUS improvement with the Moto X's key feature: Touchless Controls. The voice activation needs to be more flexible, the dialog needs to be more conversational when trying to complete more complicated tasks, and I should be able to achieve more with it (control phone settings, make/receive calls more easily, etc.

For most (not all), Touchless Control is just a gateway into a Google Now command.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Other than upgrading the CPU/GPU, adding an improved camera and maybe stereo speakers, I really don't think much more is needed. Obviously they will improve the screen, battery, design, touchless controls & have the latest Android version. Hopefully LenoVorola will continue the great path Googerola was on with smartphones!

Posted via Android Central App on my Ebony backed Moto X

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Since it seems that third party cameras can do pretty well on the phone, indicating the hardware is fine, I hope that Lenovo will improve the camera on the X1 with updates.
For the life of me I can't see the point of stereo speakers on a phone. I can hear the hold music and customer service agents just fine with one speaker. If you are listening to music from a phone's external speakers on a regular basis.... well then I guess you don't like music very much to begin with. It will sound just as bad with two speakers.

Last edited:

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

I would like an IR blaster and a notification light (although I realize that there is Active Notifications). I prefer a notification light over Active Notifications, and at least the option to use either or both. FM radio and wireless charging. I don't mind the current screen (except could be 5") and 720p resolution (good enough for me). This would be about perfect for me.

Solar charging, hehe (not going to hapen).

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I would like an IR blaster and a notification light (although I realize that there is Active Notifications). I prefer a notification light over Active Notifications, and at least the option to use either or both. FM radio and wireless charging. I don't mind the current screen (except could be 5") and 720p resolution (good enough for me). This would be about perfect for me.

I think the Nexus 5 is very much up your alley, except IR Blaster and FM. When it come to stock android, RGB LED and wireless charging, I think Nexus.

If you want IR Blaster too, maybe look at the upcoming HTC M8. I don't think Nexus devices will have IR Blaster, since Google concentrate more on doing it wirelessly over the internet through their server, they need it to go through their server for the ads revenue.

DougW

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I hate plugging that little cord in to charge my moto x .

I definitely want wireless charging built in

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

I think the Nexus 5 is very much up your alley, except IR Blaster and FM. When it come to stock android, RGB LED and wireless charging, I think Nexus.

If you want IR Blaster too, maybe look at the upcoming HTC M8. I don't think Nexus devices will have IR Blaster, since Google concentrate more on doing it wirelessly over the internet through their server, they need it to go through their server for the ads revenue.

Funny you say that because I have a Nexus 5. I did get a Moto X after I bought my Nexus 5, but I returned it. The $ I'd lose by selling my Nexus 5 wasn't worth it (cost of depreciation and selling/shipping fees from eBay). I preferred the AMOLED screen of the X, but like the 5" size better than the 4.7". The Nexus 5 battery is frustrating in that it has great standby time, but there are times when it'll start to drain unexpectedly, despite not changing anything. I'm at home and look at my battery level on the battery app, and without any reason, it'll just start to plummet.

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Yes, second FM Radio. Another one I forgot in my original post. I doubt it will happen since the carriers want you to use as much data as possible, but there is an argument that all phones should have it for safety issues (alerts during a crisis, etc.). I just like listening to talk radio without using data. Too bad most FM music stations are horrible these days.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

Yes, second FM Radio. Another one I forgot in my original post. I doubt it will happen since the carriers want you to use as much data as possible, but there is an argument that all phones should have it for safety issues (alerts during a crisis, etc.). I just like listening to talk radio without using data. Too bad most FM music stations are horrible these days.

Agree with you. I like FM radio to listen to local radio stations. If there is a disaster, FM radio can be a godsend to get information. Many cell towers would be overloaded, and getting cell data may be impossible. I have my Lumia 520 as a spare, which I love for the FM radio feature. When the Moto G gets cheaper, I'd like to get one of those. It has FM radio, too.

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Agree with you. I like FM radio to listen to local radio stations. If there is a disaster, FM radio can be a godsend to get information. Many cell towers would be overloaded, and getting cell data may be impossible. I have my Lumia 520 as a spare, which I love for the FM radio feature. When the Moto G gets cheaper, I'd like to get one of those. It has FM radio, too.

It does? Pretty annoying that they put it on the G and not the "flagship" X.

DrGonzo48

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Nothing that would make it bigger, like gimmicky front facing speakers. Not even improved battery life is worth changing the size or shape imo. My wish list includes: upgrades to camera, battery, processor. Also please keep it free of Verizon bloatware.

I have an upgrade in Nov. if my DNA holds out that long, and the Moto X is what I'll get if they don't screw it up with the refresh.

Edit: I have really come to appreciate wireless charging. It won't determine my selection but it would be nice to have.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Camera. No reason for a sub par camera on any flagship these days. Only gripe I really had with the x

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

While it's not FM, stock Android have Amber alerts, the emergency alerts menu is in Settings -> More...

sent via tapatalk

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

Slightly larger and this phone will be the perfect size. It needs just a little bit larger screen.

More/better voice control.

Better camera.

1080p would be nice, but as long as the screen is a step up in general quality, I will not complain. The current screen is fine, but could be better.

More ram would be nice, but not yet necessary.

Typically bump across the board in computing and graphical power.

Unlock able bootloader on ALL versions. The majority of bootloaders being locked stopped this phone from having great development. More battery life, functionally, and all around options could have happened but didn't because of the ridiculous uncrackable bootloader.

Moto maker on all carriers at launch.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Unlock able bootloader on ALL versions. The majority of bootloaders being locked stopped this phone from having great development. More battery life, functionally, and all around options could have happened but didn't because of the ridiculous uncrackable bootloader.
If Lenovo want any Verizon customers at all and to have their phones sold at AT&T stores (AT&T branding), that won't happen. We're lucky that Verizon even allowed a Developer edition for the Moto X. Just ask Google about it. The choices are clear here: Don't use AT&T or Verizon, or buy unlocked phones.

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

If Lenovo want any Verizon customers at all and to have their phones sold at AT&T stores (AT&T branding), that won't happen. We're lucky that Verizon even allowed a Developer edition for the Moto X. Just ask Google about it. The choices are clear here: Don't use AT&T or Verizon, or buy unlocked phones.

or, you can use the unlocked version on AT&T.