What Would You Change For the Moto X2 (Assuming There Would Be One)?

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Motorola should release 3 base variations (4", 5", 6") of a flagship phone either annually, or better, biannually

Commit to updating the OS for 2 years within 60 days of updates to Android.

Snapdragon 800 or better CPU (has built in always listening feature already). Ideally a 22nm or less

Allow more customization in Moto Maker (in addition to current options):
- Battery Size (4" - 2000 or 3000, 5" - 3000 or 4000, 6" 4000 or 5000)
- Screen material (gorilla glass vs sapphire)
- material (kevlar, plastic, wood)
- choose screen tech: OLED vs LCD
- camera: need multiple option as a larger sensor would mean a thicker phone and should only be paired with a larger battery to avoid a camera bump
- slide out keyboard option (like the original droid line) - I don't want it, but this is what customization and motomaker should be about

Laser focus on the user experience. Touch screen reaction times, stability, speed, etc...

Killer features are needed. The always listening is a good start (though kind of creepy too). Nokia has hit the nail on the head with their camera. I have heard more non-tech people talking about the 1020 then any other phone. The public is clamoring for a GREAT camera in their smart phone. Maybe a separate camera processor (ie Nikon Expeed)

Camera should be instant on. Great picture, Great low light performance, Quick Picture to picture time, etc...

Separate physical camera shutter button.

Nearly edge to edge screen (2mm or less on each side)

Minimize area above and below the screen (10mm or less above and below the screen - focus on small overall footprint of the phone)

Stereo front speakers would be cool (HTC One) if they can keep the area above and below the screen to 10mm or less.

Continue with great build quality and amazing radios and phone quality (only Moto phones can actually be used as phones).

Ok, so you "have" to lock the boot loader. Just don't be so good at it.

Waterproof & Dust proof (IP67 certified) - if this can be done with slim bezel as above (2mm or less on the sides and 10mm or less top and bottom)

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Really want badly
1) Wireless charging. Preferably Qi, since this seems like the most standard. I had no idea howmuch I would miss this.
2) Same size. I LOVE the form factor. It feels good in my hand, and I can reach everything.
3) Bigger battery, if not in coflict with (2)
4) True international phone, with bands for all major regions and carriers

Nice to have:
1) Some form of biometric unlocking
2) 64gb (hey, more is always better)
3) FM/AM radio
4) IR blaster
5) better camera -- not because I care, but because other people seem to care, and if the phone were more popular it would have better support and accessories.
6) software accessible LED notification. Yes, yes, the active display is great and all that. I still miss the simple light that I can see without my glasses.
7) Waterproof & Dust proof (IP67 certified)

Software:
1) touchless control activated by any keywords user made up (phone to determine if it's "different enough". obviously, "hello" would be triggered too often)
2) voice control to toggle hardware
3) voice control to search phone. I want to be able to tell it to navigate to Fred's house, I don't want to have to recite Fred's address.

Jo Jones

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
1) Larger battery. I want an X with a Maxxx battery. ~3000mah. I'll take the hit in thickness and weight. Just keep a similar shape.

2) Voice control for hardware functions.

3) Better GPU for some extra fps on 3D gaming.

4) More toggle customization.

5) 32GB base

This would be my perfect phone. Battery life is all really care about now. Even with dated hardware I more than happy with performance (besides some newer games) and screen quality.

Posted via Android Central App

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Re: What Would You Change For the X2 (Assuming There Would Be One)?

Camera. No reason for a sub par camera on any flagship these days. Only gripe I really had with the x

I believe the camera is the key to better sales for any smartphone. This is what the average consumer is looking for. They want a camera that they can carry everywhere and pull out at a moment's notice to take a snapshot of their kids and pets running around.

Also, the photos that come out have to look like a professional took them, even if the user knows nothing about photography. Why? Because people love to share their photos! They like to show off. Once their friends and family see what wonderful photos could come out of a mere CELL PHONE, they'll say:

"You got those out of a Motorola?! I'm going to have to get me one of those!"

Other things are important, for sure, but if you get the camera right, you'll get a lot of customers. It's really the best form of advertising if you think about it.

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Scott,
I completely agree regarding the camera. As I said in my post above, I hear all my non-tech friends talking more about the Nokia 1020. I think had Nokia released that phone across carriers and with android they would have had a big seller.

Moto X2 needs a large sensor camera, very fast on time, and great low light performance.

Nokia doesn't make their camera. Nor does apple. Moto just needs to choose a better OEM and better model.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

I believe the camera is the key to better sales for any smartphone. This is what the average consumer is looking for. They want a camera that they can carry everywhere and pull out at a moment's notice to take a snapshot of their kids and pets running around.

Also, the photos that come out have to look like a professional took them, even if the user knows nothing about photography. Why? Because people love to share their photos! They like to show off. Once their friends and family see what wonderful photos could come out of a mere CELL PHONE, they'll say:

"You got those out of a Motorola?! I'm going to have to get me one of those!"

Other things are important, for sure, but if you get the camera right, you'll get a lot of customers. It's really the best form of advertising if you think about it.

Agree. that is one area that has really helped samsung recently. Their cameras are pretty good, and you don't have to be a professional photographer to make the pictures look good.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site

For me:

Better camera, Improved speakers, better battery life (still internal though), would like to see it continue to be built in the US, more selection on motomaker, similar size.

The big problem is, I'm not sure if I'll go with the 2nd version, considering every update to the first has made it worse for me.

shayknbake

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

It took much restraint to hold out on getting the Moto X (I have the Nexus 4). I'm glad I have because I anticipate a lot of great tweaks that will be made for the Moto X2. My wishlist is as follows:

1) Better camera. Having a dedicated camera button with volume controls acting as zoom would be a nice addition (I don't know why phone manufacturers don't do this).
2) Better display while at least maintaining current battery life.
3) Custom keyword for voice control.
4) 32GB standard storage
5) Stereo speakers in the front like the One; if not, at the bottom would be sufficient.
6) $350-400 starting price.

If most of these features are implemented, it would without a doubt be the best phone in the market.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

-A better camera.
-A 64GB option.
-A better camera.
-Moto Maker on all carriers.
-Have I mentioned a better camera? Okay, I really want a MUCH better camera.

The current size is perfect. If they size it a little bigger that's okay, but if the X2 is a lot bigger, that might give me pause.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

It took much restraint to hold out on getting the Moto X (I have the Nexus 4). I'm glad I have because I anticipate a lot of great tweaks that will be made for the Moto X2. My wishlist is as follows:

1) Better camera. Having a dedicated camera button with volume controls acting as zoom would be a nice addition (I don't know why phone manufacturers don't do this).
2) Better display while at least maintaining current battery life.
3) Custom keyword for voice control.
4) 32GB standard storage
5) Stereo speakers in the front like the One; if not, at the bottom would be sufficient.
6) $350-400 starting price.

If most of these features are implemented, it would without a doubt be the best phone in the market.

Stereo speakers would make the phone a lot taller than it currently is. I would much rather have a smaller phone with their current speaker, which is the loudest I have heard to date. The Moto X is already the best phone currently available if you ask me...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

John Doe40

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site

- better camera is definitely needed. And not only software but hardware - larger sensor size, sensor from different supplier and OIS. With no gimmicks like secondary cameras "for more depth" or similar nonsense which is only useful for 5 minutes to impress your simple-minded friends with.
- better learning ability for voice control, including custom phrases. The current Touchless Control still being occasionally triggered by other people saying random stuff, or not being triggered at all if there are other people talking nearby and I am trying to speak "OK Google Now" phrase.
- microSD card slot. It's actually pretty useful in different situations even if you don't need extra storage space, like, for example, reviewing your recording from the dashboard camera inside your car (which is otherwise inaccessible).
- Inductive charging. I've used this feature before, it is insanely convenient and reduces mechanical stress on the USB connector, especially if you are trying to plug it in in a dark environment and/or you have issues with your vision. The phone's body is plastic and will probably stay that way so there shouldn't be any issues trying to integrate it. Or at least provide an optional cover/case with induction coil and charging plug built-in, I'd gladly sacrifice extra thickness for such extremely convenient ability.

If Motorola would implement all of these features into next model while improving the current features and software I would be a very happy person (and I know several other people who would be similarly happy).

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
One edit to this list:
Really want badly
1) Wireless charging. Preferably Qi, since this seems like the most standard. I had no idea howmuch I would miss this.
2) Same size. I LOVE the form factor. It feels good in my hand, and I can reach everything.
3) Bigger battery, if not in coflict with (2)
4) True international phone, with bands for all major regions and carriers
5) Comes SIM unlocked and usable on all carriers (Even the Sprint and Verizon versions)

Nice to have:
1) Some form of biometric unlocking
2) 64gb (hey, more is always better)
3) FM/AM radio
4) IR blaster
5) better camera -- not because I care, but because other people seem to care, and if the phone were more popular it would have better support and accessories.
6) software accessible LED notification. Yes, yes, the active display is great and all that. I still miss the simple light that I can see without my glasses.
7) Waterproof & Dust proof (IP67 certified)

Software:
1) touchless control activated by any keywords user made up (phone to determine if it's "different enough". obviously, "hello" would be triggered too often)
2) voice control to toggle hardware
3) voice control to search phone. I want to be able to tell it to navigate to Fred's house, I don't want to have to recite Fred's address.