Moto X2: 4.7" vs 5" screen

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think the current size with the current bezel is the sweet spot.

I agree. But there's a "bigger is better" mentality that all the other OEM's are using. I hope Motorola doesn't give in - or if they do, they give us a proper "mini" (Z1/Z1 Compact, DROID ULTRA/DROID MINI).

Posted via Android Central App

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I think the size of the phone is more important than trying to get a 5" on there. If they can keep the phone the same size and only get a 4.8 or 4.9 than that's fine.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I rather the screen size and bezel stay the same and go from there. But I honestly cab say for a 5 inch phone the Lumia Icon is not bad as far as height and width. The M8 is a little too tall, but has thinner width which makes using one hand kind of possible. I just hope they don't increase width or height that's my main concern as the Moto X is perfect in that regard.

cferthorney

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
In terms of height on a phone, I think the N5 is about as tall as my hands can take. I don't want to have to "2 hand" the device or perform Olympic class finger acrobatics to reach the top of the phone. In terms of size, I think the S3 was the sweet spot for my personal use, and the Moto X is only a few mm taller off memory. I do tend to have a tablet or laptop with me though and so am less dependant on a larger screen. I will seriously consider the X2/X+1 unless it's over 5" screen size, and if they go over 5" I hope they offer a "mini" or "Compact" to compensate those of us with smaller hands.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Just for viewers reference.

Samsung galaxy S3 - 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm (5.38 x 2.78 x 0.34 in)
Nexus 5 ---------------- 137.9 x 69.2 x 8.6 mm (5.43 x 2.72 x 0.34 in)
Moto X ------------------ 129.3 x 65.3 x 10.4 mm (5.09 x 2.57 x 0.41 in)

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, Moto needs to stick close to about ~130mm x ~65mm. I'm only advocating for a slightly larger screen if they can do it without a significant increase in the height and width of the phone.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I personally hope that Motorola sticks with a 4.7" display and perhaps slightly decreases the overall size of the phone. The trend is always BIGGER, so my guess is that the Moto X2 is going to have a 5" screen, not matter how much I protest. :)

I'm sure that they will also be putting in a 1080P display, while I would prefer they stick with the battery-friendly 720P.

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
The test for me is

1. Is the phone comfortable in the hand?
2. Is the phone pocket-able?

As long as those criteria are met, I would prefer the screen to be as large as possible. Unfortunately most of the phones from 2013 probably don't meet these criteria, and the flagship phones of 2014 certainly don't.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the best aproach would be for Motorola to do what it is rumored Apple is going to do, release two phones that are identical in every hardware spec other than screen size/resolution. Then they can keep the very hand and pocket friendly 4.7" they are using now and offer a 5.7" for those who want something larger.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think the best aproach would be for Motorola to do what it is rumored Apple is going to do, release two phones that are identical in every hardware spec other than screen size/resolution. Then they can keep the very hand and pocket friendly 4.7" they are using now and offer a 5.7" for those who want something larger.

I would like to see this as well. Motorola's already familiar with this approach with the DROID MINI/DROID ULTRA.

In all honesty, I would have gotten a 4.3" Moto X.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would like to see this as well. Motorola's already familiar with this approach with the DROID MINI/DROID ULTRA.

In all honesty, I would have gotten a 4.3" Moto X.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

And I'm at the opposite end. I have an X and a Note 3, and as much as I love my X, I probably won't buy another Motorola until they have a 5.5"+ offering.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The test for me is

1. Is the phone comfortable in the hand?
2. Is the phone pocket-able?

As long as those criteria are met, I would prefer the screen to be as large as possible. Unfortunately most of the phones from 2013 probably don't meet these criteria, and the flagship phones of 2014 certainly don't.

That's my thing about the M8, and why I am considering it heavily this year instead of the Moto X successor. It feels good in my hand which is a plus and using it with one hand is not bad because the width of the device and curvature helps a LOT. That's my problem with a lot of flagships now, they are too wide for me to use one handed.

Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
The M8 is to long to put in the pocket. Width is not to bad, but it would be nice if it was a little slimmer.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Re: 4.7" vs 5" screen

I went back and forth 3 times with the moto x. Each time that I left, it was because the screen was just to small. 5 would be perfect as long as the phone doesn't get much bigger

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Same here, I really liked the phone but the screen just seemed to small, I finally just went with a Nexus 5

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Well moto is rumored to launch a phablet phone in Q3. Maybe they'll announce it along with the moto X sequel. I'm all for having two sizes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty