MotoMod ideas

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Anyone have a particular mod you wish you see? Here are a few of my own:

* Photographer quality camera attachment like enhanced optical zoom, telephoto, wide angle, etc
* Specialized optics like Thermal, NV, IR, etc...
* Wireless charging
* Fitness oriented backplate with the appropriate sensors

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That's a pretty good list. I wouldn't mind a dynamic "shell" that is a live wallpaper on the back with images/video you want.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The battery mods will have an option for wireless charging if you pay ten dollars extra. There's no reason the battery mods shouldn't have a kickstand like the jbl speaker mod.

The photography attachment is quite likely, although it may be very pricey.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
HassleBlad is rumored to be making an attachment for this.

Anyone who doesn't know, HassleBlad is the leader is medium format cameras.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
^ In fact, it was thought it might be announced yesterday, but wasn't. Why do I feel like the camera attachment, if it comes from Hasselblad will rival the cost of the phone?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm purely guessing, but I think the phone will be $400-500 and the camera mod from Hassleblad will be $150-200. But that's 100% ignorant guess.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
The photography attachment is quite likely, although it may be very pricey.

I think that the price of mods could be what makes or breaks them. The possibilities are endless with regards to what could be developed, and I think that in general the idea is quite exciting. But I don't think that many people will be willing to spend a vast amount of money on a mod. Useful, decent quality mods that can be sold for a reasonable price is what manufacturers should be aiming for to give the idea a chance of taking off and ultimately being a potential success. If they end up being gimmicky and/or too expensive I think the concept may fade into obscurity like many other attempts at innovation. I think that would be a shame as mods have great potential if they are approached in the correct way.

Posted via the Android Central App

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm purely guessing, but I think the phone will be $400-500 and the camera mod from Hassleblad will be $150-200. But that's 100% ignorant guess.

Those prices would be quite fair. I would be getting the droid version and I think the Z Force will be around $650, but I would wait for a serious promotion.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
If it's from HassleBlad, I see it being $1k-$1500. Remember their mirror less camera? It was a Sony Nex camera with an extra dial, wood trim and other cosmetic finishes and it was like 5x the price of the Sony Nex. It also uses Sony lenses.

Although this is a phone mod and such and it will be a bigger market so maybe they might play it smart and not be expensive.

I would personally pick one up and sell my Canon G1X II and have that mod to size and portability.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Aren't the cameras in phones good enough at this point that we shouldn't need a mod? If I had to carry a mod I would just carry a camera.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Aren't the cameras in phones good enough at this point that we shouldn't need a mod? If I had to carry a mod I would just carry a camera.

They're much better than they have been, but still not on par with actual cameras. The hope is that the mod bridges that gap. And I *think* the intent is to leave the mod on the phone the majority of the time, not to carry around a bag of mods and shells.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Your talking about a sensor that is half the size of a Dime vs a sensor that could be potentially be the size of a quarter. It makes a big difference and with optional zoom, it would be a good attachment.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Your talking about a sensor that is half the size of a Dime vs a sensor that could be potentially be the size of a quarter. It makes a big difference and with optional zoom, it would be a good attachment.

Sorry....I'd rather carry my Sony NEX camera than a bulky phone. For snapshots the camera on my phone is great.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If it's from HassleBlad, I see it being $1k-$1500. Remember their mirror less camera? It was a Sony Nex camera with an extra dial, wood trim and other cosmetic finishes and it was like 5x the price of the Sony Nex. It also uses Sony lenses.

Although this is a phone mod and such and it will be a bigger market so maybe they might play it smart and not be expensive.

I would personally pick one up and sell my Canon G1X II and have that mod to size and portability.

Yeah if that camera MotoMod is a Hasselblad, it will not be cheap. It'll be more expensive than the Moto Z Force.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Maybe there will be a poor person's version from another company. Otherwise very few of those Hasselblad ones will ever see the back of a Z.

Last edited:

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Sorry....I'd rather carry my Sony NEX camera than a bulky phone. For snapshots the camera on my phone is great.

Oh I completely agree but its a mod that I would leave in my backpack and use it when im traveling. I have the G1X mk2 and it's a great travel camera but it has its purpose like this mod does.

But not everyone needs high quality photos so that mod is very useful for some and would be a downgrade for others.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I agree to each his own, but if I have to carry a mod than it doesn't take any more effort to carry the NEX. For those that aren't familiar, the NEX is a compact DSLR that can fit in a jacket pocket quite easily. It can fit in my cargo shorts pocket as well but feels a little heavy. Very easy to throw in a back pack.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance