The Moto Z doesn't have a headphone jack

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Re: Let it go

I do think this is the way that devices will start going. Especially if Apple is going to do it. It's always hard to be the first. I personally don't like it, but I'm still going to get the phone because I'm really digging everything else about it. I'll probably keep my dongle connected to my aux cable in my car.

Hey! Try to keep it clean please. Nobody wants to know where you're going to keep your dongle connected. :p

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I agree, this fake outrage about the lack of headphone jack. I would just leave it attached to the headphones. I'm sure a 3rd party will even make a much smaller adapter with no cord.

The cord is probably better...harder to lose.

Posted via the Android Central App

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

The cord is probably better...harder to lose.

Also less likely to bump into something & snap off, or worse, break the port. I would be the most common problem that "kills" a smartphone after screen breakage is charging port damage. It's part of why I like wireless charging. It's also why when a local auto shop asked me to set them up with some tablets to run Google Forms, I set the tablets up with no only beefy cases and screen protectors, but also magnetic charging cables.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

An adapter is a good option but it's just one more item to loose. I have 3 different headsets that I use so I will need to pick up more adapters if I go for the Motorola Z. Bluetooth headsets are terrible. Battery life is terrible and sound is very flat. Or I could spend $200ish for a good one from what I have heard.

Unless someone can recommend a good set of Bluetooth that has good sound and 7+hours of battery life, I'm still not into the Bluetooth headset.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

don·gle
ˈdäNGɡəl,ˈdôNG-/
noun
noun: dongle; plural noun: dongles

a small device able to be connected to and used with a computer, especially to allow access to wireless broadband or use of protected software.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

I do listen to my headphones and charge my phone at the same time. But that wouldn't keep me from getting this phone.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

That's a good Def Leppard song! :)

No excuse on the Force since much thicker than other devices that have it. Adding the 3.5MM jack would actually cost less than including the adapter, so from a cost point and the fact they will lose sales due to this (no rational person could say they will gain sales) makes zero business sense unless trying to Apple before Apple. It will be funny if the Apple phones have one ;)

You can not charge this device, so the option is to use Bluetooth headphones. That is okay for some, but another expense (for good sounding Bluetooth) and more bulky for ear buds and another thing to keep charged. I think Moto messed up and will regret this. The device pricing also will hurt the attach rate of mods, so another regret to add.

Love my MXPE though :) Apparently the Z has a same trait as the MXPE. It runs hot with high resource apps and the battery drains fast. Like the MXPE, it is apparently a great device for light to medium users, but a hot potato for heavy app users. Thin isn't always good, but marketing teams seem to push it anyway. I blame the media 100% :) ;)

chemgeek

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

I use and love my bluetooth headphones so I'm not concerned. Even my new car is going to have bluetooth audio connection.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site

I have zero technical issues about the dongle. I'm not afraid of losing it because of the loop they include - it won't accidentally disconnect from your buds.

My only concern isn't "it's something to lose or break," but "it's something to REMEMBER." Say you're traveling for business, and you forgot your headphones. Before, buy any set of earbuds at almost any store, including most non-restaurants even in an airport, and you'll get by. Now? You're SOL, dude, because you're not finding a set of USB-C buds in a pinch.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

I have zero technical issues about the dongle. I'm not afraid of losing it because of the loop they include - it won't accidentally disconnect from your buds.

My only concern isn't "it's something to lose or break," but "it's something to REMEMBER." Say you're traveling for business, and you forgot your headphones. Before, buy any set of earbuds at almost any store, including most non-restaurants even in an airport, and you'll get by. Now? You're SOL, dude, because you're not finding a set of USB-C buds in a pinch.

More likely to find some bluetooth earbuds, but that'll be a bit harder to find, and of course will cost more. For now. I picked up some bluetooth earbuds from Amazon for something like $13 a few weeks ago. The quality is reasonable - they're great for mowing.

masseurca

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site

Most use bluetooth and so this is a non-issue for the vast majority of users.

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site

Most use bluetooth and so this is a non-issue for the vast majority of users.

Most? This seems like an overstatement, but I'll keep an open mind. Does this just match your personal observation? Because mine would be exactly the opposite - I see wired (often white) earbuds all the time during my commute on the subway in a major metro area -- many, many people looking at and listening to devices, practically all of them wired.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Most? This seems like an overstatement, but I'll keep an open mind. Does this just match your personal observation? Because mine would be exactly the opposite - I see wired (often white) earbuds all the time during my commute on the subway in a major metro area -- many, many people looking at and listening to devices, practically all of them wired.

Seems like all my immediate family have wire headphones (guess we are cheap) but almost everybody I work with have Bluetooth headphones. But I agree, that is still far from most!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad