Z Force is with me

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
For the record, I'm not what people that disagree with my assessment will rush to call me - a Moto/Lenovo "fanboy." The last Moto phone I liked was the original Razr and before that, my StarTac. Since the Razr though, I've been Moto-free, using iPhones, Sammy's, LGs and the Nexus 6P. I tried the Moto X Pure last year and hated it.

And although not the prettiest looking, this Moto Z Force Droid is likely the best performing smartphone I've ever used. I was ready to give it up after using it exclusively for a couple weeks when the Note 7 dropped, figuring the new Note would carry me for the rest of the year. However, after about a week comparing the two, aesthetics aside, there is no comparison.

Right up front the Note 7 - which is using the same Snapdragon 820 chip as the Z Force - is much better looking and has a better camera. In fact, it has the best smartphone camera I've ever used and is the best looking/feeling smartphone I've ever carried. (Nothing will top the StarTac for best feeling phone of all time. Nothing! :) ) And if you're a big S-Pen user, this post is meaningless to you, as the Note 7 wins decisively there.

That's where the Note 7 advantages stop. Battery life, performance, software, convenience, modularity, durability, memory management - all land squarely in the corner of the Moto Z Force. And that's very surprising, considering they have the same battery size and same CPU. It's truly like using two different phones. The smooth operation of the Z Force compared to the Note 7 is an eye-opener. I don't want to hate on TouchWiz, because I think Samsung has improved TW by leaps and bounds from earlier iterations, but what else could it be? Same battery, same CPU and nearly the same display. I cannot imagine the .2 of inch in display size could make such a difference in performance.

Unfortunately, Moto/Lenovo's marketing, timing and decision to make it a Verizon exclusive (why, oh why not offer the Z Force and not just the Z to everybody when they beginning selling them unlocked later this month?!) are going to prevent a lot of people from realizing this. By selling it in the window of the Note 7 and next iPhone iteration, well, that's like opening an expected blockbuster movie on the same weekend as The Avengers AND The Hunger Games - not many people will notice you.

I don't like the long-term outlook for the Moto-Mods line, because the buzz and acceptance just aren't there, outside a few pockets of interest. The Z Force hasn't gone out of stock anywhere, there were no lines to purchase, no pre-sales hype and Moto/Lenovo really seems to rub a lot of former fans the wrong way with its business practices. But for as long as I have it, I'm going to enjoy it. It's my favorite phone since the iPhone 3G and I hope to get a good year or two out of the line before Moto tosses the idea aside for the "next" great thing.

Faded03cobra198p

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
For the record, I'm not what people that disagree with my assessment will rush to call me - a Moto/Lenovo "fanboy." The last Moto phone I liked was the original Razr and before that, my StarTac. Since the Razr though, I've been Moto-free, using iPhones, Sammy's, LGs and the Nexus 6P. I tried the Moto X Pure last year and hated it.

And although not the prettiest looking, this Moto Z Force Droid is likely the best performing smartphone I've ever used. I was ready to give it up after using it exclusively for a couple weeks when the Note 7 dropped, figuring the new Note would carry me for the rest of the year. However, after about a week comparing the two, aesthetics aside, there is no comparison.

Right up front the Note 7 - which is using the same Snapdragon 820 chip as the Z Force - is much better looking and has a better camera. In fact, it has the best smartphone camera I've ever used and is the best looking/feeling smartphone I've ever carried. (Nothing will top the StarTac for best feeling phone of all time. Nothing! :) ) And if you're a big S-Pen user, this post is meaningless to you, as the Note 7 wins decisively there.

That's where the Note 7 advantages stop. Battery life, performance, software, convenience, modularity, durability, memory management - all land squarely in the corner of the Moto Z Force. And that's very surprising, considering they have the same battery size and same CPU. It's truly like using two different phones. The smooth operation of the Z Force compared to the Note 7 is an eye-opener. I don't want to hate on TouchWiz, because I think Samsung has improved TW by leaps and bounds from earlier iterations, but what else could it be? Same battery, same CPU and nearly the same display. I cannot imagine the .2 of inch in display size could make such a difference in performance.

Unfortunately, Moto/Lenovo's marketing, timing and decision to make it a Verizon exclusive (why, oh why not offer the Z Force and not just the Z to everybody when they beginning selling them unlocked later this month?!) are going to prevent a lot of people from realizing this. By selling it in the window of the Note 7 and next iPhone iteration, well, that's like opening an expected blockbuster movie on the same weekend as The Avengers AND The Hunger Games - not many people will notice you.

I don't like the long-term outlook for the Moto-Mods line, because the buzz and acceptance just aren't there, outside a few pockets of interest. The Z Force hasn't gone out of stock anywhere, there were no lines to purchase, no pre-sales hype and Moto/Lenovo really seems to rub a lot of former fans the wrong way with its business practices. But for as long as I have it, I'm going to enjoy it. It's my favorite phone since the iPhone 3G and I hope to get a good year or two out of the line before Moto tosses the idea aside for the "next" great thing.

Agree completely. I went out and purchased the note 7 on Saturday to give it a test run for a couple of weeks. The speed differences between the Z Force and the note 7 are huge. The look, feel and camera are great on the note, but the speed and overall smoothness of the Z Force is what wins it for me. Will be returning the note this weekend.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I've never used the Note 7, but hearing about the battery life those folks are getting convinces me that the Z Force gets much better battery life.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
I've never used the Note 7, but hearing about the battery life those folks are getting convinces me that the Z Force gets much better battery life.

Of the phones I've used, Samsungs have been the worst with regards to battery. (iPhones are the best.) This Z Force has given me the best battery life of any Android phone I've had.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Of the phones I've used, Samsungs have been the worst with regards to battery. (iPhones are the best.) This Z Force has given me the best battery life of any Android phone I've had.

Interesting. My Z Force gets significantly better battery life than did my iPhone 6s Plus.

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the Note 7 now, but coming from my MXPE, I do miss the Moto Display. Battery life isn't bad, no lag here, but I'm going to look at the Z Force tomorrow.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had the MXPE since it came out last year and the Force for two weeks. The MXPE has a better form factor and speakers. Everything else goes to the Force: much, much better battery life, much faster and smoother, runs much cooler, more pleasing if not as accurate screen. Plus the mods and Shattershield. Also, the camera is significantly better.

Last edited:

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I've gone through both iterations of the s7 and I just can't get past the choppy software interface I guess that Samsung just uses. Ive exclusively used Apple since breaking any blackberry addiction when the iPhone 5 came out. Since then it's been nothing but Apple until this year. When I briefly had the original Droid turbo, I liked it a lot but still wanted to check out the Samsung hype. Then I realized that Motorola had its software interface going on and just as smooth as apples OS. I've since sold my two iPhones and now have my Z Force and a Sony Experia X which by the way is a pretty good phone as well. I've got to have at least one smaller phone and the Sony is that. 5 inches but it feels more like 4.5 by the way it's made. It's my one hander phone. I hope Motorola actually keeps pushing the mods as it's one of the greatest phone ideas with so much potential if they actually exploit it and stay the course with it. My gut tells me we will see max, three more mods and Moto will let it die unfortunately.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I really like the Moto health tracker. I use the heart rate all the time due to my high stress level with work. I believe it's pretty accurate as my typical testing heart rate is just high in general and it reads to what I've always seen at the Doc. When I'm under high deadlines and know I'm worked up with stress, it definitely reads higher as I can feel it when my heart rate is over 100. By the way I'm speaking of the the link between the Force and my Moto 360 2nd gen watch I should say. I also am implying that a mod could be made to gear towards health and such.

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Went to look at it today. Didn't like the feel. Pretty thick. Heavy. Honestly, I thought the Droid Z felt like a better phone.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Went to look at it today. Didn't like the feel. Pretty thick. Heavy. Honestly, I thought the Droid Z felt like a better phone.

I hear you. Only problems with the regular Z - for me - is much smaller battery, worse camera and no shatter screen. Thickness of the Force doesn't bother me though and it still weighs less than my iPhone 6S Plus.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I hear you. Only problems with the regular Z - for me - is much smaller battery, worse camera and no shatter screen. Thickness of the Force doesn't bother me though and it still weighs less than my iPhone 6S Plus.

The Z Force doesn't feel big at all, at least not to me. It's tall, but not particularly heavy or bulky.

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I've watched plenty of vids about both. Seems like the pix are a smidgen better on the Force. Does bother me that much. Not a big picture taker.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I've watched plenty of vids about both. Seems like the pix are a smidgen better on the Force. Does bother me that much. Not a big picture taker.

Standard Z. The camera does more than what I want. Clear and detailed. So I imagine the Force would only be more impressive.

Attachments

• 441.jpg
    441.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 63

mgorlets

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Not to mention that the N7 lags pretty bad. Anyone don't baleave it go to Verizon or best buy and use them side by side and see how bad the N7 really is.

jtcannonball

Trusted Member
Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
That looks good. I'm just so torn between the Z and Note 7. Lol.

Well I returned my Note 7 and picked up a Z. The Z is so much smoother and the only area of concern for me was the camera and doing a side by side with my wife's Note 7 my Z had more clear and in focus pictures of our toddler than her Note 7, and it was by a lot.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I went with the Z Force. "I got Z Force" sounds a whole lot cooler than "I got a Note 7"

It is all in the name :)
I totally agree about the name. The Force is truly a Jedi as the Force is strong with it. If there are any Star Wars fans they will find humor and also think of Jedi when the Force is mentioned haha