Anyone using Adoptable Storage?

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I have this one:

microSD.jpg

I've had no additional lag using it as adoptable storage. It may lag compared to using internal storage but I'm not seeing it...

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Some people even with fast cards have had issues. YMMV.

Oh, I can agree with that...and I am sure it is faster without using it...but 32GB is just not enough for me with the amount of photo/videos I do...sure I offload them to my PC for backup locally and to cloud but like the have breathing room. :)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh, I can agree with that...and I am sure it is faster without using it...but 32GB is just not enough for me with the amount of photo/videos I do...sure I offload them to my PC for backup locally and to cloud but like the have breathing room. :)

Can't you store photos, video, and audio to SD cards when you format as portable?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I use a 64GB Samsung PRO+ microSD card as Portable storage. I don't trust Adoptable storage, even with a fast card.

J3rs3yBoy

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
How about the new Lexar 1000x or 1800x cards? Surely no lag at these speeds?

1000x - up to 150MB/s read, 90MB/s write
1800x - up to 270MB/s read, 110MB/s write

microSD

J3rs3yBoy

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Also worth noting from the link in my previous post that the 1800x 64GB is even faster. I can't imagine there being any lag at all at these speeds.

64GB—up to 270MB/s read, 250MB/s write

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Can't you store photos, video, and audio to SD cards when you format as portable?

In general, yes, but it will depend on what apps you use and how as to whether that's a good option. I use Google Photos and Play Music, and each has a setting to save their music/photos/videos to the SD card (non-adoptable storage), so that works great for me and those types of media. Some people may prefer other apps that don't mange their files as well, or give that particular option.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
In general, yes, but it will depend on what apps you use and how as to whether that's a good option. I use Google Photos and Play Music, and each has a setting to save their music/photos/videos to the SD card (non-adoptable storage), so that works great for me and those types of media. Some people may prefer other apps that don't mange their files as well, or give that particular option.

This is not a criticism, but I do want to make sure that my post was read in context as a reply to garak0410 who said that the 32 GB of internal storage was not enough for the photos/videos he takes. Adopted storage is one answer if you have an SD card, but clearly, if the issue is only photos and videos (and even audio files), an SD card formatted as portable storage would work for that use case. And it would give you the advantage that you could unmount it and connect to a computer to sync content...

I could also see an argument for adopted storage if you are using the Netflix or Amazon Video apps to download offline content for future viewing when you know you'll have no network connection. But, even then, you can change the settings to use portable storage. (The fact that it doesn't default that way is too bad, though.)

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
This is not a criticism, but I do want to make sure that my post was read in context as a reply to garak0410 who said that the 32 GB of internal storage was not enough for the photos/videos he takes. Adopted storage is one answer if you have an SD card, but clearly, if the issue is only photos and videos (and even audio files), an SD card formatted as portable storage would work for that use case. And it would give you the advantage that you could unmount it and connect to a computer to sync content...

I could also see an argument for adopted storage if you are using the Netflix or Amazon Video apps to download offline content for future viewing when you know you'll have no network connection. But, even then, you can change the settings to use portable storage. (The fact that it doesn't default that way is too bad, though.)
Exactly - many apps let you use portable storage for the media files, so most of the time adoptable stage isn't need. Since he didn't state the exact apps he's using, I wasn't going to assume.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Netflix now allows you to download to a storage card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance