Hangouts for SMS

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Anyone using hangout for SMS?

As for messaging, I've been a big fan of Messages+ for several years now. I agree it is very customizable and works well.

I just got a new truck that has Android Auto though and Messages+ is not an app that works with this. So I'm going to give hangouts a try for SMS. I just started using hangouts yesterday evening and like it so far. Anyone else use it and have any thoughts? Anyone have input on Android Auto?

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm jealous you have android auto! My Tacoma syncs pretty flawlessly, but to have that extra integration would be awesome.

As far as hangouts go, I used to use it for texting but it had troubles with pictures and gifs being sent between parties. So i switched to Google messenger and haven't used anything else.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I've tried Hangouts off and on for years, and imho it's not even as good as Textra. It's always had a problem with sending pictures via mms, and sometimes, for me, my kids don't even get the text msgs that i send via sms. I'm using Message+ now, and i love it. I never had it because i was always with AT&T. Since switching to Verizon, i've discovered it, and deleted my Textra.:p

hotshotazn

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Wow, I'm the opposite. I love Hangouts. I use the Hangouts plugin in Chrome to send messages to my daughter and wife as opposed to using my phone while at work.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I like hangouts ok, but had to go back to Messages+. I was not happy that I couldn't schedule a message for later, but then someone sent me a number I need to call and I couldn't just tap the number and have it dial for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I couldn't find a way to dial the number from hangouts.

anon(2978616)

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I've tried Hangouts off and on for years, and imho it's not even as good as Textra. It's always had a problem with sending pictures via mms, and sometimes, for me, my kids don't even get the text msgs that i send via sms. I'm using Message+ now, and i love it. I never had it because i was always with AT&T. Since switching to Verizon, i've discovered it, and deleted my Textra.:p

Curious what you like about Message+ better than Textra. I've tried them both and keep going back to the simplicity of getting things done with Textra. I send a lot of group messages.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Message+ gives me copies of my messages in "my verizon", and i don't like the placement of the "send" icon in Textra. Too close to the emoji icon, for my large fingers.:p

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I went back to Messages+ because of all the features and customization options. I'm not sure what was wrong or more likely, what I was doing wrong to start with when connected to Android Auto. A few days ago it started working for playing back text messages and allowing me to reply with voice commands.

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been relatively happy using Message+ but since I upgraded my iMac to Sierra I've been having lots of issues. I wanted to give Hangouts a try but could not figure out how to allow Moto's Talk to Me feature to read Hangouts messages out loud as it does for Message+. Any suggestions?

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Anyone using hangout for SMS?

As for messaging, I've been a big fan of Messages+ for several years now. I agree it is very customizable and works well.

I just got a new truck that has Android Auto though and Messages+ is not an app that works with this. So I'm going to give hangouts a try for SMS. I just started using hangouts yesterday evening and like it so far. Anyone else use it and have any thoughts? Anyone have input on Android Auto?

I use hangouts and the for sms. I like hangouts since I can see texts when I open gmail on my laptop as well.