Anybody impressed with the Pixels?

ASD Dad

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Not me. They were the phone I was holding out for when I ended up getting the Force during the Best Buy promo. I really like the Force a lot! Much more than I had planned honestly. I think as long as we keep getting regular updates like we've seen so far and we get Nougat quickly as stated on Moto's site I will be quite happy to keep this long term. Battery and camera have been a pleasant surprise. My Moto X Pure was sort of disappointing for both of those.

I think the nail in the coffin was the pricing. They have high end specs but could have still been much better. No OIS for camera. No real waterproofing. No SD slot (not surprising but still). Just OK battery sizes. Weird half glass back that serves zero purpose. If that glass was for wireless charging - great! Style? Fail! The monster bezels are another turn off but the Force doesnt exactly have small bezels. We do have a front fingerprint sensor which I prefer over the back and I have used both styles a lot. I like to leave my phone flat on the desk and easily unlock it.

Getting my Force for $200 less than a comparable Pixel and a free Speaker Mod just makes it that much sweeter.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I have a force and a 6p, I'll be selling one to get the Pixel XL. I think the Pixel design is pretty cool, I miss having a rear mounted finger print sensor, my Z force camera has been underwhelming and the thought of having a fully optimized, built from the ground up Google phone intrigues me.

In addition, I really want the Pixel line to succeed so that over the next decade it can really compete with the iPhone and begin offering some innovative stuff.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The camera intrigues me but I don't think I'd use Google Assistant enough for me to care.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
While I don't own a Z (I don't really care for any of Lenovorola's current offerings), I will say this: While the Pixels are impressive devices (save the smaller's battery and neither being even water resistant): The Motos seem a much better bang-for-the-buck.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
While I don't own a Z (I don't really care for any of Lenovorola's current offerings), I will say this: While the Pixels are impressive devices (save the smaller's battery and neither being even water resistant): The Motos seem a much better bang-for-the-buck.

Moto Z Play especially.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Well, the Pixels have the same water resistance rating ("splash proof") as the Moto Z phones do. And they cost roughly the same, with mostly better specs?

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, the Pixels have the same water resistance rating ("splash proof") as the Moto Z phones do. And they cost roughly the same, with mostly better specs?

From the beginning there have been deals on the Zs at least through Verizon that make them significantly cheaper than the Pixel XL. I would agree that the unlocked Z is way overpriced, but the Z Play for what it offers is a reasonable deal.

As for specs, it depends on what you value (Force--mods, sd card, shattershield) versus (better camera likely, updates). Given my choice I'd take the Pixel offerings, but would not knowing what I paid for the Z Force ($200 off and speaker mod) and in fact my wife's Z Play was $208 and then Verizon is giving her $300 for her LG G4 which I got on a deal last year for nothing (and not on contract either).

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
and then Verizon is giving her $300 for her LG G4 which I got on a deal last year for nothing (and not on contract either).

Verizon is now offering a similar $300 trade in deal for the Pixels, on a small number of phones models to trade in (Galaxy Note5, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 edge/edge+, HTC M9, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, LG G4 and LG V10 - interesting list. No Droids; no phones that came out this year). I'm not sure if they offer, say, $200 for phones not on that list, like the T2 or Maxx 2. Plus, of course, you get the Daydream headset, if you care about that sort of thing. (I don't. But, then again, I'm not in the market for a phone right now.)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If I was buying a Pixel, though, I wouldn't buy it from Verizon. I'd buy from Google - you pay more, but no Verizon bloatware and guaranteed updates directly from Google.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
As I keep an eye on the Pixel XL and read more about it, I keep flipping from one side to the other. Half the time I want it and the other I think not. I've gone as far as being one click away form a purchase and just closed the window.
I'm mostly attracted to the photo quality and the Google service integration. So as I'm looking around for a little more information, I came across the review from DxOMark on the Pixel and several other devices, including the Z Force. https://www.dxomark.com/mobiles/moto-z-force-droid-mobile-review

If you follow the link on a desktop you will see the ratings and a link to several other devices all the way down to a score of "50" for the IPhone 4. I was very surprised (pleasantly, I'll add) at a lot of the rankings.

The fact that the Z Force scored an 87 is helping me get over the itch to try this new Pixel. Secondly, with Nougat coming for the Z I've pretty much talked myself out of giving this new device a try. Another big reason is the battery mod for the Z Force. I can have some very heavy use days and the ability to add the battery is a very big deal for me.

(Edit) Additionally I'd like to add that the first thing I do is add Nova Prime and set up all my apps, icons, & widgets the same as the device I'm moving from, very little about the experience would be much different. The Z Force has a very fast fingerprint scanner, a good display and its shatter proof. When I really look at the pros and cons I can't even come close to finding a compelling reason to change.

Writing this is very good therapy for me and my urge to change. There will be no change for me. Ahhhh, I feel better now.

anon(6142785)

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I got two Z Force phones at Best Buy when upgrading our account and after trading in our old LG G3s for $50 each we walked out spending 120 for 2 new phones and 2 Jbl speaker mods AND got a 25 gift card

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
The Z Play is far cheaper and, for my money, is the best Moto Z phone available.

Totally understandable, but it's also a bit of an apples & oranges comparison. The Moto Z Play is a very good phone at a very good price for what it is. The Pixel is an excellent phone at an ok price for what it is. The Play is clearly the better value (assuming it meets the buyer's needs/wants), while the Pixel is the better phone overall (though that depends on usage & preference). It's a midrange vs premium comparison. The Play is certainly killer value, and a very good phone!

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Totally understandable, but it's also a bit of an apples & oranges comparison. The Moto Z Play is a very good phone at a very good price for what it is. The Pixel is an excellent phone at an ok price for what it is. The Play is clearly the better value (assuming it meets the buyer's needs/wants), while the Pixel is the better phone overall (though that depends on usage & preference). It's a midrange vs premium comparison. The Play is certainly killer value, and a very good phone!

Fair point and well taken. But I value battery life above all else, so for me the Moto Z Play is a dream!

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Software may be better but not sure other than that. I'm not ever buying a phone with a subpar battery again.

Yeah, I went from the Droid MAXX to the Nexus 6, and was really disappointed to lose the excellent battery life. I was very happy in going to the Z Force to go back to not thinking much at all about my battery, but just using my phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie