Google Keyboard issue

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm using the stock keyboard, which I believe is called Google Keyboard. It works similar to swype in that I can trace out the letters I want.

The problem I'm experiencing (and I've reported this to Verizon, but they have no documentation as to this being a known issue) is that the swype method will just stop working along with the predictive text input.

It's as though the keyboard switches from swype to standard mode, requiring one letter at a time to be typed. I don't have any other keyboards installed.

This issue happens across all apps that require typing, like messenger, texting, email, etc. I've had the happen on the Droid turbo and now it's happening on this phone.

I've tried alternative keyboards like swype and Swift Key, but can't get accustomed to the way they work.

I'm hoping someone else has experienced this issue and knows of a fix.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the stock keyboard, which I believe is called Google Keyboard. It works similar to swype in that I can trace out the letters I want.

The problem I'm experiencing (and I've reported this to Verizon, but they have no documentation as to this being a known issue) is that the swype method will just stop working along with the predictive text input.

It's as though the keyboard switches from swype to standard mode, requiring one letter at a time to be typed. I don't have any other keyboards installed.

This issue happens across all apps that require typing, like messenger, texting, email, etc. I've had the happen on the Droid turbo and now it's happening on this phone.

I've tried alternative keyboards like swype and Swift Key, but can't get accustomed to the way they work.

I'm hoping someone else has experienced this issue and knows of a fix.

I have started experiencing that on rare occasions. When it happens you get the first letter of the word typed then no letter after that one. The blue swiping line no longer appears when you glide your finger from character to character on the keyboard. If I stop, delete the errant single character, then start over, everything works again. This has happened to me a couple of times in the past week. Annoying for sure. I don't know of a fix.

As long as we're on annoying things about the Google keyboard--sometimes when I try to swipe a comma into the text I get ZX. Probably my fault, although I can't figure out a way to get a comma (and nothing else) without lifting my finger from the keyboard.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I've been experiencing it too. How fast do you have the touch sensitivity? I thought it might happen when I don't quite begin the swipe action fast enough, and it registers just the single letter.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been experiencing it too. How fast do you have the touch sensitivity? I thought it might happen when I don't quite begin the swipe action fast enough, and it registers just the single letter.
Ahhh. I did adjust the long key press delay to a much shorter time than default about a week ago.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
How is the long press delay adjusted? I was looking for it in the settings, but am not seeing any options for adjusting the delay. I'm hoping that this will resolve the issue.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
How is the long press delay adjusted? I was looking for it in the settings, but am not seeing any options for adjusting the delay. I'm hoping that this will resolve the issue.
Settings > Language and Input > Google Keyboard > Preferences

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Changing the long press settings has not resolved the issue. This is really very frustrating.

Two different phones with the same issue.

turbochgd

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Changing the long press settings has not resolved the issue. This is really very frustrating.

Does it happen very often to you? I have the same issue but it's very sporadic and not really something I really think about. Love the keyboard!

heath patrick

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I've had it happen to me a couple times and this was the issue

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

I've set mine back to the default setting and the frequency of this happening has been drastically reduced. Still does it occasionally though.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Here's the thing. I actively use Facebook messenger throughout the day. It's because of this active use of messenger that I notice the keyboard issue.

As others here have suggested, taking out the 'errant' character, which I guess most often in my case would be a space, the issue goes away temporarily.

I just wish that it wasn't an issue at all. Hopefully nougat might fix this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22