Fingerprint Sensor Question--Pulling Phone Out of Pocket

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
As of right now I'm considering the Z Force or Pixel XL as my new phone. One thing I really want in a new phone is a fingerprint sensor. The number one advantage I see is the ability to reach into my pocket, cover the fingerprint sensor and pull it out of my pocket unlocked and ready to use. A couple of questions:

1. Is this technique possible? Can I cover the sensor with my finger/thumb in the pocket and pull out the phone ready to use?

2. Fingerprint sensor on the front of phone or back of phone would be best for this technique? (Note: I always place my phone in pocket with phone's screen facing my leg and top of phone goes into pocket first. It seems to me with this pocket placement the rear fingerprint sensor would be better.)

3. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of front and rear fingerprint sensor placement.

4. What else do you use fingerprint sensor for beside locking/unlocking the phone?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
2. Fingerprint sensor on the front of phone or back of phone would be best for this technique? (Note: I always place my phone in pocket with phone's screen facing my leg and top of phone goes into pocket first. It seems to me with this pocket placement the rear fingerprint sensor would be better.)

That's up to you. I know that people on this forum have said that they like to use the phone laying on a table, so in order to unlock with fingerprint, they'd first have to pick up the Pixel. If that's not you, it's irrelevant as a concern.

4. What else do you use fingerprint sensor for beside locking/unlocking the phone?

Android Pay. Apps can use fingerprint to unlock rather than ask you to enter a password (Dropbox, Lastpass, Authy are examples of apps like this, where they allow you to set a PIN security when they app has been unlocked after boot but can use your fingerprint to unlock the app.)

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
That's up to you. I know that people on this forum have said that they like to use the phone laying on a table, so in order to unlock with fingerprint, they'd first have to pick up the Pixel. If that's not you, it's irrelevant as a concern.

I'm trying to think of a reason I would unlock my phone if I wasn't going to pick it up. With the Z Force a wave of the hand will get me my notifications. Maybe voice commands? I know with my Turbo is always listening. Is this not true with Z Force? (I know you have to say OK Google with the Z.)

Android Pay. Apps can use fingerprint to unlock rather than ask you to enter a password (Dropbox, Lastpass, Authy are examples of apps like this, where they allow you to set a PIN security when they app has been unlocked after boot but can use your fingerprint to unlock the app.)

Thanks for the info.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to think of a reason I would unlock my phone if I wasn't going to pick it up. With the Z Force a wave of the hand will get me my notifications. Maybe voice commands? I know with my Turbo is always listening. Is this not true with Z Force? (I know you have to say OK Google with the Z.)

I also do not use my phone that way. It is almost always in my hand. Maybe one time in a few hundred I have the phone sitting on some sort of surface and scroll through content. (For those few times, I could probably get by tapping out a PIN number.)

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Ways I use my phone without picking it up (and therefore like the front sensor):
- reading news while eating (scroll with my knuckle)
- read an email while the phone is on a stand
- glance at something in more detail than the lockscreen provides, but without picking it up (usually when it's sitting on my desk)

I don't usually need to use the fingerprint sensor with voice commands, as I've set up trusted places where I most often would use voice commands (car, home, office).

Yes, it does the always listening (and offers custom phrase support via the Moto app).

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I prefer the sensor on the back much more than the front. Especially for the simultaneous pull out of pocket and unlock move that you had mentioned. Also, I feel like I always have to move my hand more and awkwardly to active the front sensor versus shifting my index finger a smidge for the rear.

Even laying on a table activating the front sensor is awkward so I always just use the power button and pin the unlock if my phone is laying on something.

FWIW, I went from 6P - Z Force - Pixel XL.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the sensor on the back much more than the front. Especially for the simultaneous pull out of pocket and unlock move that you had mentioned. Also, I feel like I always have to move my hand more and awkwardly to active the front sensor versus shifting my index finger a smidge for the rear.

Even laying on a table activating the front sensor is awkward so I always just use the power button and pin the unlock if my phone is laying on something.

FWIW, I went from 6P - Z Force - Pixel XL.
Thanks for your input on the fingerprint sensor.

I'd be interested to hear your likes/dislikes between the Force Z and Pixel XL as well.

dbregman

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
On thing that just occurred to me now reading this thread, is how often I unlock my Z when it is in the cradle whilst driving. I would not be able to do this with the Pixel or other phone with a sensor on the back.

Last edited:

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
On thing that just occurred to me now reading this thread, is how often I unlock my Z when it is in the cradle whilst driving. I would not be able to do this with the Pixel or other phone with a sensor on the back.

I do that with my S7 Edge. when I tried the V20 for 24 hours, i found the rear placement of the FPS awkward. I ended up making the Bluetooth in my vehicle a trusted zone so I just had to swipe.

But yeah, I much prefer the FPS on the front. Returned the V20, and the Z Force should be here Thursday

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2