Z Force Camera?

QBert

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone, I am hoping those that have this phone can help me. I'm between this phone and the Pixel XL. The only thing holding me back right now is the camera. Everything I read (on AC anyway) says the Pixel camera is the best out there, and reviews also say the Force camera is so-so. For those that have used the Force, can you give me your impressions on the camera? I will be coming from a Note 4, and I am happy with the camera on that, and would be happy with similar or better performance.

Thanks in advance for your help!

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, I am hoping those that have this phone can help me. I'm between this phone and the Pixel XL. The only thing holding me back right now is the camera. Everything I read (on AC anyway) says the Pixel camera is the best out there, and reviews also say the Force camera is so-so. For those that have used the Force, can you give me your impressions on the camera? I will be coming from a Note 4, and I am happy with the camera on that, and would be happy with similar or better performance.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Don't have either phone, but they are on my radar and camera is my #2 criteria after battery life.

Generally speaking, the Z Force with its 21MP shooter is going to give you greater detail than the Pixel XL with 12MP shooter. The Pixel XL is going to be better in low light (less noise.)

See:

https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Moto-X-Style-Mobile-review-Style-and-Substance/Ranking

Then click on individual links:

https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Moto-Z-Force-Droid-Mobile-review

https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Pixel-smartphone-camera-review-At-the-top

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
But somehow Dxomark missed the lens flare issue with the Pixel camera when they gave it top reviews?

Google Pixel Has a Lens Flare Problem, Software Fix Coming

I've always wondered about Dxomarks' reviews myself. I was particularly suspicious when Google touted their review during the Pixel introduction. Clearly dxomark was given pre-release hardware, and not something that they bought off the shelf. I've always been suspicious that they are paid for good reviews?

I prefer a site like Anandtech instead... they seem to review more honestly. (They really like the Z Force camera, BTW, though they still do not have a Pixel review on the site.) Camera Hardware & Photo Quality - The Motorola Moto Z & Moto Z Force (Droid Editions) Review

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to be completely honest. If you're coming from a Sammy camera, you will have some adjusting to do. I was hoping moto was going to update the camera from the turbo 2. This would have been an iPhone/Sammy killer in my eyes. But moto did not. I use a third party app to get by. The motos are awesome with signal strength, especially on Verizon. The vanilla/plain os system to customize. But if all you're worried about is a camera, then do try the pixel out.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've always wondered about Dxomarks' reviews myself. I was particularly suspicious when Google touted their review during the Pixel introduction. Clearly dxomark was given pre-release hardware, and not something that they bought off the shelf. I've always been suspicious that they are paid for good reviews?

I've wondered this as well.

I prefer a site like Anandtech instead... they seem to review more honestly. (They really like the Z Force camera, BTW, though they still do not have a Pixel review on the site.) Camera Hardware & Photo Quality - The Motorola Moto Z & Moto Z Force (Droid Editions) Review

Yes, and they give you photos of a decent size so you can open in another tab in your browser, zoom in on them and look around. They also place other competing phone's shots next to the shot from the camera they are reviewing so you can directly compare.

To me it comes down to:

Pixel XL
Average resolution (12 MP)
Excellent low light capability with low noise

OR

Z Force
Excellent resolution (21 MP)
Very good low light capability with some noise

I like the greater detail and the ability to zoom in and crop areas over having excellent low light shots. I don't take too many low light shots, so I can tolerate a bit of noise. What I'm interested in is how does the Pixel XL and Z Force do with some motion, i.e. a toddler running, a dog walking, motion by athletes at a sporting event?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to be completely honest. If you're coming from a Sammy camera, you will have some adjusting to do. I was hoping moto was going to update the camera from the turbo 2. This would have been an iPhone/Sammy killer in my eyes. But moto did not.

Yes, they did. The Z Force has an updated Sony sensor (Sony IMX338 with f1.8), and optical image stabilization. Plus a new camera app.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I have both devices and I'm currently using the Pixel XL as my daily driver, at least for the next few days. I've been using the moto z force for the last month.

I've been keeping notes on what I like and dislike about each. I'll be testing both cameras tomorrow so I can post them along with my thoughts on each device. I hope to have this all together by the weekend.

QBert

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to be completely honest. If you're coming from a Sammy camera, you will have some adjusting to do. I was hoping moto was going to update the camera from the turbo 2. This would have been an iPhone/Sammy killer in my eyes. But moto did not. I use a third party app to get by. The motos are awesome with signal strength, especially on Verizon. The vanilla/plain os system to customize. But if all you're worried about is a camera, then do try the pixel out.

There are a few things that I am looking for - as you mentioned signal strength is one - I find Moto has great radios. I would also think I would like the Moto gestures - waving my hand over the phone to see notifications would be awesome. My phone sits on a desk most of the day, and being able to wave to see notifications and having the fingerprint sensor on the front to unlock the phone (vs the back on the Pixel) is preferable. The camera isn't my only concern, but it seems to be the only thing the Z Force is not strong in. Most of my pictures are of my 2 small kids and just would like something that can take good candid shots of them that look good on a computer or my phone, and the occasional printed photo.

rivencap

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
There are a few things that I am looking for - as you mentioned signal strength is one - I find Moto has great radios. I would also think I would like the Moto gestures - waving my hand over the phone to see notifications would be awesome. My phone sits on a desk most of the day, and being able to wave to see notifications and having the fingerprint sensor on the front to unlock the phone (vs the back on the Pixel) is preferable. The camera isn't my only concern, but it seems to be the only thing the Z Force is not strong in. Most of my pictures are of my 2 small kids and just would like something that can take good candid shots of them that look good on a computer or my phone, and the occasional printed photo.
I don't want to get into a hissy fit with anyone. I'm only stating my opinion. You're right, this is the only thing moto lacks in the last few releases, the camera. I might have been wrong, they attempted to update the camera from the turbo 2 to the z force. But no matter how good of a lens you put in, you don't put in a low light meter/true image stabilization - you don't get the best photos. I want moto to succeed and crush iPhone/sammy. I wish they would just go all the way and really update the camera. Oh and right now besides little bugs here and there, there is no Miracast. Currently, you can only mirror your phone through Chromecast. Besides that no other complaints. I love the reception out in the country I have, the battery and the basic os so I can customize with other apps like Nova Prime.

QBert

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't want to get into a hissy fit with anyone. I'm only stating my opinion. You're right, this is the only thing moto lacks in the last few releases, the camera. I might have been wrong, they attempted to update the camera from the turbo 2 to the z force. But no matter how good of a lens you put in, you don't put in a low light meter/true image stabilization - you don't get the best photos. I want moto to succeed and crush iPhone/sammy. I wish they would just go all the way and really update the camera. Oh and right now besides little bugs here and there, there is no Miracast. Currently, you can only mirror your phone through Chromecast. Besides that no other complaints. I love the reception out in the country I have, the battery and the basic os so I can customize with other apps like Nova Prime.

My apologies - I definitely wasn't trying to disagree with you - I agree with a lot of what you said - I appreciate your thoughts and info as someone who has actually used the phone!

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have both devices and I'm currently using the Pixel XL as my daily driver, at least for the next few days. I've been using the moto z force for the last month.

I've been keeping notes on what I like and dislike about each. I'll be testing both cameras tomorrow so I can post them along with my thoughts on each device. I hope to have this all together by the weekend.
Looking forward to your report.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
But no matter how good of a lens you put in, you don't put in a low light meter/true image stabilization - you don't get the best photos.

FWIW, the Pixels do not have true (I assume you mean optical) image stabilization. They have software ("electronic") stabilization for video, but it's still not OIS.

Last edited:

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Not you. The other commentator.
It's a completely new camera in the Z Force. From the link in doogald's post:

The Moto Z Force Droid uses a more advanced 21MP Sony sensor with deep trench isolation (DTI) technology for improved color fidelity. It also uses a hybrid autofocus system that combines laser, phase detection (PDAF), and contrast detection methods, which should provide faster, more reliable focusing performance in a variety of lighting conditions.

And here is the camera test section in the Anandtech article:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10493/motorola-moto-z-force-droid-review/5

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just got my Force about 2 hours ago. So obviously I haven't had time to really get into the camera.

However I just came from the S7 Edge and it doesn't seem like much of a step down in camera

QBert

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I just got my Force about 2 hours ago. So obviously I haven't had time to really get into the camera.

However I just came from the S7 Edge and it doesn't seem like much of a step down in camera

Just curious, what made you switch from the S7 Edge to the Force (S7 Edge is also something I'm considering)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20