Comparison: Z Force and Pixel XL

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The only person who can say which looks right on the last one is you, as none of us know what it looks like in real life. There is a lot more orange in the Pixel version; there is a lot more red in the Z Force version. Which one is closer to right?

I've never seen a terrible towel IRL, so I'm not sure which of those is right (or closer to right), either. If I were to guess, I'd say the Pixel version, but I might be wrong. (Based on this site I'd say Pixel.)

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
The only person who can say which looks right on the last one is you, as none of us know what it looks like in real life

Exactly.

I've never seen a terrible towel IRL, so I'm not sure which of those is right (or closer to right), either. If I were to guess, I'd say the Pixel version, but I might be wrong. (Based on this site I'd say Pixel.)

It would be guessing because it depends on the accuracy of the photo on that website and your monitor settings.

Reminds me of TV commercials for color TV's back in the 80's that, when showing a simulated scene on the TV being advertised, exclaim, "just look at that beautiful picture!" Yeah, well, I'm looking at that beautiful picture on that new Sony Trinitron via my 15 year old 20” RCA television. So I don't really know what it looks like.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Exactly.

It would be guessing because it depends on the accuracy of the photo on that website and your monitor settings.

Reminds me of TV commercials for color TV's back in the 80's that, when showing a simulated scene on the TV being advertised, exclaim, "just look at that beautiful picture!" Yeah, well, I'm looking at that beautiful picture on that new Sony Trinitron via my 15 year old 20” RCA television. So I don't really know what it looks like.

Agreed...

I think I use the Pixel XL more over the Moto Z Force Droid more for the reliability of the camera not so much on quality as I believe the Moto Z can take amazing photos. The random (but more frequent) Camera app quirks just make me nervous on the Moto Z. I'd like to see an update to the Moto Camera app, especially now that the G5 Plus is out and getting decent reviews. Not 100% sure it would fix the problems I have but it can't hurt.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I'd say educated guessing because I am looking at the photos on the same monitor side by side, and I suspect that the Steelers actual web site will do the best that they can to accurately show the color.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps my last comparison...again, it all depends on how the room looks to our natural eyes...

Pixel XL
darkroom01.jpg

Moto Z Force Droid
darkroom02.jpg

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
To me the Force photo of the corner looks better and more realistic.

I took mine along hiking in the Grand Canyon. Got some great shots. I'll post some later today.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
To me the Force photo of the corner looks better and more realistic.

I took mine along hiking in the Grand Canyon. Got some great shots. I'll post some later today.

This photo is from my work...the next time I work late, I'll look with my own eyes at how the light looks off the wall to see which one really looks more realistic. I am just so torn between both phones as camera is very, VERY important to me. Nothing can match the speed of the Pixel's camera...period. But the features and battery life along with a still good camera on the Moto Z make me indecisive on what to use daily.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
The Z Force version looks better to me (warmer, which I generally prefer), but, in reality, that is not a good test for photo condition anyway. I can't believe that anybody would want to keep such a photo. It's like trying to decide which phone is better for phone calls by having a test underwater. I guess it'd be interesting if one is better than the other, but hardly a criteria for choosing one over the other. In this case I'd say that both cameras are about equally good at capturing a photo I wouldn't take anyway in really poor lighting conditions.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
The Z Force version looks better to me (warmer, which I generally prefer), but, in reality, that is not a good test for photo condition anyway. I can't believe that anybody would want to keep such a photo. It's like trying to decide which phone is better for phone calls by having a test underwater. I guess it'd be interesting if one is better than the other, but hardly a criteria for choosing one over the other. In this case I'd say that both cameras are about equally good at capturing a photo I wouldn't take anyway in really poor lighting conditions.

I wanted to do a true low light example. Since I have a Pixel XL, Moto Z Force Droid and iPhone 7+, I thought it would be time to determine what will be my daily driver for a good while. Camera is most important followed battery life, features and upgrades. It is truly a 50/50 tie between the two (as I don't see myself ever going iPhone.) 32GB is a little tight for me on the Moto Z and while I did use adoptable storage for a while, just didn't trust it and it might have been the cause of some camera errors. I love the Moto Mods (especially batter mod) and water and shatter resistant screen of the Moto Z. I love the speed of the OS and camera on Pixel but it's features are rather bland and it isn't water resistant. Battery life on the Pixel XL is poor when compared to the Moto Z Force.

Though choice for sure...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Looks like it comes down to - do you want true color or do you want vibrant? To me, the Moto Z Force Droid photos seem to "pop" more but I suspect the Pixel reproduces colors more accurately.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to do a true low light example.

I get it. I'm more interested in photos of people in low light, or maybe architecture or fine art, as you might find in a church or museum. I'd suggest trying out closer-up photos of the artwork on the walls in those lighting conditions. That would be a good test of real-world use in my opinion.

Of course it's possible I'm just weird about photography?

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
You can tell that the f1.8 aperture on the Z Force definitely let's in more light than the f2.0 on the pixel. Quite a bit more is picked up in the pics from the Z Force that are still too dark to see on the pixel, like the pillows, etc. And I agree with Ry that it pops more. Just wish it focused as fast as the pixel in low light. Can't have it all I guess haha

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Looks to me that the Pixel's white balance is off. Looks like there is a grey tint to the photo.

The Z Force shot looks "better."

Would be interesting to know if the lighting fixture has incandescent or CFL light bulbs. If incandescent then the Pixel photo is way off. If CFL, then I would like to know the "warmth" of the wavelength of the lightbulb. If it's around 3000K or lower the Pixel is way off. If it's 3500K or higher the Z Force is off.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
You can tell that the f1.8 aperture on the Z Force definitely let's in more light than the f2.0 on the pixel. Quite a bit more is picked up in the pics from the Z Force that are still too dark to see on the pixel, like the pillows, etc.

Look at the light on the wall, though. Areas that are washed out on the Z Force are not on the Pixel. For example, you can see all of the detail of the molding just under the lampshade. I'm guessing that there is more a difference in processing algorithms than anything else, because I've noticed that on some other examples in this thread.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I get it. I'm more interested in photos of people in low light, or maybe architecture or fine art, as you might find in a church or museum. I'd suggest trying out closer-up photos of the artwork on the walls in those lighting conditions. That would be a good test of real-world use in my opinion.

Of course it's possible I'm just weird about photography?

No, those are good things to look for...I may try that. :)

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
You can tell that the f1.8 aperture on the Z Force definitely let's in more light than the f2.0 on the pixel. Quite a bit more is picked up in the pics from the Z Force that are still too dark to see on the pixel, like the pillows, etc. And I agree with Ry that it pops more. Just wish it focused as fast as the pixel in low light. Can't have it all I guess haha

Yes...the speed of camera is also a factor in choosing my daily driver. The Pixel, even in low light, is touch/done. Just that fast.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Look at the light on the wall, though. Areas that are washed out on the Z Force are not on the Pixel. For example, you can see all of the detail of the molding just under the lampshade. I'm guessing that there is more a difference in processing algorithms than anything else, because I've noticed that on some other examples in this thread.

Yes...that is what I looked at. The light on the walls seemed more washed out and less natural on the Z-Force and you can't see the molding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles