WIFI Issue

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I just got my new Z Force. I am having trouble staying connected to a specific WIFI Access point that I use everyday.

This is the device: 300Mbps Wireless N Access Point - TP-Link (version 2)

The Z connects and can browse the web fine. However, after a few mins, the WIFI shows "Connected, No Internet" then connects again. I have "Always keep WIFI on during sleep" and I do not have "Avoid bad WIFI conneections" checked. This happens if I am right next to the router.

Steps I have tried:
  • Add/Remove network from the Z
  • Update router access point firmware
  • Rebooted router

Other devices connect to this Access point just fine. It is the Z having issues. The Z can connect fine to my home wifi and other access points I tried out and about (Starbucks, etc).

Is there anything else I am missing? Any Ideas?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
2.4 GHz or 5 GHz? Which channel? If you change the channel, does that make it work better? If it's not working on 2.4 GHz, does it work on 5 (or vice versa)?

If 2.4 GHz, does turning off Bluetooth make it work better?

BTW, you say that it is a router that you access every day, but you also say that home WiFi is fine, so this is not at home? Does that mean that you don't have the ability to make these changes?

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
2.4 GHz or 5 GHz? Which channel? If you change the channel, does that make it work better? If it's not working on 2.4 GHz, does it work on 5 (or vice versa)?

If 2.4 GHz, does turning off Bluetooth make it work better?

BTW, you say that it is a router that you access every day, but you also say that home WiFi is fine, so this is not at home? Does that mean that you don't have the ability to make these changes?

This is an AP at my office that I installed and also manage it. It is 2.4GHz. 5GHz is not an option.

Tomorrow I will test:
  • Turning off Bluetooth
  • Changing the channel

Thanks for the tips.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I just looked at the web site for this router. A few other things to look at that *might* help, if those didn't help:

- which security are you using? WPA or WPA2? If it's WPA, does switching to WPA2 help?
- which mode? Is this a router, access point only, bridge with AP, or repeater?

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
We use this as an Access Point I just ran some test.

• Bluetooth On/Off - No difference
  • Changing channels, no difference
  • I use WPA2. I tried WPA, no difference

Thank you for all your help. It could be that I have a defective Z Force. I have to call Best Buy and see my exchange options.

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for all your help. It could be that I have a defective Z Force. I have to call Best Buy and see my exchange options.
If this is the sole WiFi connection you have a problem with it's almost certainly not an issue with the phone. Time & time again this is a problem created by a new device with the latest radios trying to connect with outdated routers/AP's or outdated firmware.

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
If this is the sole WiFi connection you have a problem with it's almost certainly not an issue with the phone. Time & time again this is a problem created by a new device with the latest radios trying to connect with outdated routers/AP's or outdated firmware.

At my office, other new iPhones, laptops, and tablets connect fine to the Access Point. I updated the firmware on the AP, as well.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

A few other things to play with (I'd try these one at a time):

Wireless encryption: Automatic, TKIP, or AES? If it's not AES (on WPA2), does changing to that help?
Channel width: This shouldn't matter, but does changing this help?
Max Transmit rate: This shouldn't matter, but does changing from 300 MHz help?

You're not using any security options like hiding the SSID, or MAC filtering? Are you using VLANs at all? Is this the only access point, or do you have more than one, all set to the same SSID, so that you can roam between them?

Have you tried deleting the SSID from the phone and re-connecting again? (Again, that shouldn't make a difference, but maybe worth a try anyway.)

(Just curious - is it possible to purchase something else and replace the access point if all else fails?)

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
A few other things to play with (I'd try these one at a time):

Wireless encryption: Automatic, TKIP, or AES? If it's not AES (on WPA2), does changing to that help?
Channel width: This shouldn't matter, but does changing this help?
Max Transmit rate: This shouldn't matter, but does changing from 300 MHz help?

You're not using any security options like hiding the SSID, or MAC filtering? Are you using VLANs at all? Is this the only access point, or do you have more than one, all set to the same SSID, so that you can roam between them?

Have you tried deleting the SSID from the phone and re-connecting again? (Again, that shouldn't make a difference, but maybe worth a try anyway.)

(Just curious - is it possible to purchase something else and replace the access point if all else fails?)

This is what I am leaning to. I tried all the other suggestions. This is a very simple setup WIFI-wise.

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Well, it is definitely the phone. I bought a brand new Netgear access point. AC1200. Every device can use it but the Z-Force :(

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I know that this would be a pain in the neck to change, but do you have a weird SSID for this AP? I'm wondering if the ZF has some weird bug with some SSID name pattern. (Space in the SSID? Non-alphabetic character?)

The other idea is to use some sort of WiFi scanning app (on a device that connects to the AP without dropping the connection) to see if the SSID is being rebroadcast by some device that isn't set up to share the network or something. (So, your phone is reconnecting to it and cannot get a route to the internet.)

Of course, it surely could be the phone, but you said you're not having issues with other APs, so it just sounds like something is fishy. I hope you solve it!

Scanning app for Android: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&token=mODvvO4A
Windows (I'm not a Windows user, but this looks like it would be fine): https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...2Fwifi-analyzer%2F9nblggh33n0n&token=yx3PQBjd
MacOS has one built in: How To Access The Wi-Fi Scanner In Mac OS X El Capitan - Let's Talk Tech

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips. I really appreciate it.

I have been using WIFI Analyzer. Everything looks good. I changed SSID's, as well. Some with underscores, some without. Some with numbers, some without. I have a unique SSID.

I have a Droid MAXX, and iPhone 4 or 5 (small one) on my desk with the Z Force for testing. 2 out of the 3 work great on the old Access Point and the new one I just bought.

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I just got back from Best Buy Mobile. The made the exchange process seamless.

Ladies and gentlemen, the WIFI works great on the new device. It works on the new and old access point. I guess the hardware was problematic.

Now let's hope it works on my home WIFI, too :)

Thank you for all the help.

Fgit1020

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
I just got back from Best Buy Mobile. The made the exchange process seamless.

Ladies and gentlemen, the WIFI works great on the new device. It works on the new and old access point. I guess the hardware was problematic.

Now let's hope it works on my home WIFI, too :)

Thank you for all the help.

Fgit1020

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
Jst curious, if your wifi is working fine now everywhere? My son jst purchased the moto z droid and he is also hving problems connecting wifi and everyone else's phones connect jst fine.

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Jst curious, if your wifi is working fine now everywhere? My son jst purchased the moto z droid and he is also hving problems connecting wifi and everyone else's phones connect jst fine.

Yes, the replacement is working fine. It does have random disconnects and reconnects, but what I believe is within reason.