OK Google not starting from any screen

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to setup the OK Google voice action so that it will start from any screen, but I keep getting a message stating the microphone can't be used and to restart the device.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Some other app may be preventing the Google app from using the microphone. Does the phone have Moto Voice? If so, can you disable it?

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I have setup Moto voice, but that isn't working when the phone is locked. I had difficulty getting Moto voice setup and had to set it up in my car.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But if Moto Voice is set up, it might be inappropriately preventing other apps from using the microphone. Can you try turning off Moto Voice in its settings, or disabling it in Settings>Apps​?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I just said "Hello Moto Z" (my phrase) while viewing this thread on the Android Center app and it activated Google Voice Search.

cb2367

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
But if Moto Voice is set up, it might be inappropriately preventing other apps from using the microphone. Can you try turning off Moto Voice in its settings, or disabling it in Settings>Apps​?

I've just now had the time to look into this. I've disabled Moto voice and then gone into the Google app - settings - voice - "OK Google" detection. Right now, only the 'from the Google app' and while driving options are on. When I select the 'from any screen' option, I get the prompt to setup the phrase "OK Google." It keeps stating that the microphone can't be used and to restart the device. Restarting and then trying again doesn't work.

The OK Google didn't work before Nougat and it doesn't work after. I've verified that the Google app has permission for the microphone and that the app isn't disabled. Interestingly, even though the Moto app is disabled, I can still say the launch phrase "OK Moto z" and it will open the Google search.

I had issues setting up Moto voice and ultimately had to do the launch phrase in the car so that it would work properly. I just would like to know why the Google app keeps saying it can't use the microphone.

Obviously the microphone works for Moto voice, so that's not the issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech