earpiece static volume

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else hear a slight to moderate amount of static noise when on a phone call? Adjusting the volume has no effect on it.

My settings are for advanced calling and I have enhanced privacy mode unchecked in the phone settings.

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
The static noise can be heard while on speaker phone but it is the same decibel level as regular phone (have to put ear up to earpiece to hear it, the static noise doesn't increase when on speaker phone). Will try headphones later.

I also made phone calls while in safe mode hoping it might be app related, but same issue. So I guess it's probably a hardware issue.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It probably is, which means an expensive trip to a repair shop, or getting used to it. (Unless it's just a loose connection, it's probably a bad motherboard.)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It probably is, which means an expensive trip to a repair shop, or getting used to it. )
... or get a warranty replacement... there is a one year warranty, so this is well within the warranty period.

I'd also try turning off enhanced calling, just to see if it has something to do with that. My guess as well is that this is a hardware issue, but it won't hurt to check if VoLTE is the issue. (Though you'd think if this were the case that people you were calling would also complain about static while you were speaking.)

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Oddly enough it isn't doing it anymore. As a side note I just got this phone 2 days ago. Maybe the glue is still drying. Ha

wonderbread

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Glad your issue resolved itself.

I'd buy this phone again in a heartbeat but the earpiece on mine is by far its weak point. Very low volume and when I turn on audio assistance (to upp volume) the speaker constantly clips, sometimes to the point of being unintelligible depending on the frequency of the voice. I revert now to mostly using the speakerphone, which has good speaker and mic quality.

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I've heard others mention the volume being an issue but it seems better than my DT2, which I thought was fine. But I agree it's not as loud or reliable as other brands. Seems like so many companies forgot that at the end of the day, they're making a "phone"

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Actually found a setting in the play music app called equalizer in the settings. If you enable Vocalizer or turn it off, it helps. Worth a try.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Good idea! Ramping up the higher frequencies with an equalizer can increase static sound in the background.

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Yep. Sure is a buried setting. I remember it used to be in the main settings, but now it's in Google play music app. Kinda weird. Oh well, found it, and it helps for sure.

babracmmm

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Did you turn Vocalizer on or off? I'm having a hard time hearing a phone conversation and I have the volume all the way up.

Mattsg430

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Either. If I have audio effects enabled, I only use the Vocalizer option.

All other options increase static noise (extreme bass, bass punch, etc), at least on my phone. I had to experiment with it a little bit.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Good catch matt, it only happens when I call landlines or people with older phones. Will have to work with it during the week since it is only a work phone.