The Moto Z doesn't have a headphone jack

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I can see a lot of belly aching over this but personally I can't remember the last time I used a 3.5 mm jack on a phone. My cats wont leave the cord alone 😺 It's always bluetooth headphones and speaker or Chromecast. Gives the device a nice clean look all around though

Last edited:

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I use 3.5mm all the time on my phones. BT just doesn't have the true to life kind of sound. Just a flat sound. For running, I love the BT headphones with no wires in the way except the back of my head. But movies and on the plane, nothing beats my Shure SE215. My Shure comes with a case so I just put the adapter in there but not ok headphones comes with a case.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I use 3.5mm all the time on my phones. BT just doesn't have the true to life kind of sound. Just a flat sound. For running, I love the BT headphones with no wires in the way except the back of my head. But movies and on the plane, nothing beats my Shure SE215. My Shure comes with a case so I just put the adapter in there but not ok headphones comes with a case.

Is it a problem with Bluetooth itself, or the quality of the headphones? A while back I bought a Sony bluetooth adapter that's just a little box with a clip and a 3.5mm connector, so I can use any headphones with bluetooth. It's at least an option for using your fav headphones, assuming that using Bluetooth doesn't kill the quality in the process.

This is the one I bought (though somehow the price has gone up in the last 2 years since I bought mine for $60): https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CRWTD2K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But they have a cheaper one ($40) that accomplishes mostly the same thing:
https://smile.amazon.com/Sony-SBH20...xgy_107_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=NBH9FBMQEEH9FS84C3MV

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Quality of BT I'm assuming. It's just flat coming from a few different BT headsets. Manufactures are cramming BT antenna, battery and sound drivers in that little unit. Whereas my Shure are almost the same size as my BT headphones and there are only sound drivers in there.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I use a DAC, a USB OTG adapter, and an app called HibyMusic to listen to FLAC format music. I can't use Bluetooth headphones with that setup.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/09/usb-c-and-lightning-headphones-arent-great-news-for-everyone/

Who should be worried about the change? Well, anyone who*doesn't*own expensive headphones and has no intention of getting them. If you're the type of person who spends $30 to $100 on cans, then you probably have cause for concern. You're either going to need to grapple with what is likely to be a budget adapter for your existing headphones or choose a cheap USB-C or Lightning model.

And here's the problem: The DAC and amp inside that $50 pair of digital headphones are not going to be of the same quality as those in a $500 pair. Nor will the sound they output be afforded the same time and effort. Instead of trusting in your phone's DAC and amp to output decent-quality audio at decent volumes, you'll now be contending with the choices of a company that has had to cut corners to put out headphones on a tight budget.

The argument that those spending "so little" on headphones don't care enough about sound quality to notice is plain stupid. This isn't 2007, and millions of people now leave those white earbuds in the box, where they belong. You can also buy some great headphones for less than $100, and although there are huge gains made above that price point, it's a case of diminishing returns as you approach the high end of the headphone market.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, that Engadget editorial makes a good argument for "too soon" in regard to the removal of the headphone jack. There's going to be a rough transition period if more manufacturers follow suit. As the Engadget writer pointed out, the new fancy lightning connector headphones for the iPhone sound great, but they're a serious drain on the iPhone's battery. How much will the Moto Z's battery life (especially the standard model) suffer when connected to something similar? That's out of control of the phone manufacturer, and it will take some time to educate the general public that their new headphones need to draw significant power from the phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Everyone I see at my work uses Bluetooth headsets.

There's always going to be some OEM "too early".

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Bankz111

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, there's always that one "too early implementation", so people will complain either ways. Btw, I thought they equally put an adapter for people to be able to use their headphones?
"Oh, but I can't charge while listening to music" oh please!!! How many people even like the experience of using headphones while charging their phones? Even with headphone jacks I never did it.

Headphones are meant for on the Go, they're mobile, like when travelling, in the office, jugging, outdoors etc. So, charging on your phone while rooted to the charging spot isn't even a fun experience to begin with.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Let it go

All the handwringing about the USB C headphones and having to carry a small adapter. What on earth is the big deal? I'll attach the adapter to my headphones and - BOOM! - that's that. Just makes the headphones a tiny bit longer. Besides, when Apple releases its next iPhone without a headphone jack, I'm sure it'll be lauded as a technical marvel.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Let it go

But, but you might lose the adapter and until someone comes up with a Y splitter you can't listen to your tunes and charge at the same time...lol.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site

I also might lose my keys, phone, USB stick, wallet, etc, etc. And how many people actually charge their phones at the same time they're listening with headphones? Is it that significant a number? I live in the NYC area. We have a few people here. ;) Can't say I've EVER seen anybody listening and charging at the same time. And if they do want to do that, guess what? There's a Mod for that. Just slap on the battery pack Mod and charge away.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site

I agree, this fake outrage about the lack of headphone jack. I would just leave it attached to the headphones. I'm sure a 3rd party will even make a much smaller adapter with no cord.

bucky716

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site

A few months ago I made fun of Apple for ditching the jack and said it's a requirement of a phone. The other day I preordered this phone and realized I'm the one living in the past with wired headphones. Bluetooth headphones are better than ever and never have to deal with the daily tangle of wires. Will just take some personal responsibility to not lose the adapter.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Just depends -- for you no big deal. For me any headset for my phone with a cord is a huge NO go :p.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

I do think this is the way that devices will start going. Especially if Apple is going to do it. It's always hard to be the first. I personally don't like it, but I'm still going to get the phone because I'm really digging everything else about it. I'll probably keep my dongle connected to my aux cable in my car.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie