I've got the Moto Z — you've got questions. Fire away!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Does the moto z have a notification light?

It wouldn't surprise me if there was an actual LED somewhere on the front but if it exists, it wouldn't be used for notifications since Moto Display > Notification LED.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
In regards to new device feedback, I always like waiting a few weeks to allow the new device pixie dust to wear off. Accolades tend to settle down by then.

Veteater

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Bankz, the mod can do either. If you attach the mod to the phone if the phone is not at 100%, the mod will recharge the existing battery, and like some chargers, will allow the phone to use the charger as its power source instead of the battery. So, if you use the mod on the phone like it is a part of the phone, aka on the daily and/or attach the mod when the phone is at 100%, the phone simply uses the mod as its power source instead of the internal battery. The efficiency mode allows the phone to use its own battery, and in this mode, the mod will charge the phone to a certain percentage (80% or 100%) and keep it there, by simply charging the internal battery and applying charge to the internal battery, once it has reached said percent, in the most "efficient" conditions to maintain it at a given percent. So the mod is multi-faceted, in that it has many functions.

Veteater

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Hell, yeah!!!!! So let dem haters buuurrnnnn!!!! In yo face anandtech. Such massive haters tbh..

Dont get too excited no, Bankz, the phone will receive security upadtes, but not monthly. Other than samsung, blackberry, and google themselves, nobody does security patches monthly. At least motorola indirectly explained why the security updates will be bundled into larger updates. While I don't agree with Motorola for not providing monthly security updates in the least, I do understand why their deduction makes sense, and why samsung is the only mainstream android phone manufacturer that provides monthly security updates.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Bankz, the mod can do either. If you attach the mod to the phone if the phone is not at 100%, the mod will recharge the existing battery, and like some chargers, will allow the phone to use the charger as its power source instead of the battery. So, if you use the mod on the phone like it is a part of the phone, aka on the daily and/or attach the mod when the phone is at 100%, the phone simply uses the mod as its power source instead of the internal battery. The efficiency mode allows the phone to use its own battery, and in this mode, the mod will charge the phone to a certain percentage (80% or 100%) and keep it there, by simply charging the internal battery and applying charge to the internal battery, once it has reached said percent, in the most "efficient" conditions to maintain it at a given percent. So the mod is multi-faceted, in that it has many functions.

Thanks for the explanation. Just to clarify, when the mod is not in efficiency mode (ie, phone stays at 100% until the mod runs out of battery), the phone uses the mod as its power source rather than the internal battery? I would have thought the mod just continues to trickle charge the internal battery, such that the phone is using the internal battery, which is being charged by the mod.

Bankz111

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the explanation. Just to clarify, when the mod is not in efficiency mode (ie, phone stays at 100% until the mod runs out of battery), the phone uses the mod as its power source rather than the internal battery? I would have thought the mod just continues to trickle charge the internal battery, such that the phone is using the internal battery, which is being charged by the mod.

My thoughts exactly. You just hit the nail on the head. This is what I've being trying to get across, but maybe I didn't say it correctly. I'm really confused here.

Another question is, In the case that it just uses the mod as an external battery, what happens when say, the phone is at 55%? Does the mod just automatically charge the phone once you snap it at any percentage? Or it waits till a certain % before it charges the battery?

Bankz111

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
Oops!!! Veteater already explained it all. Just seeing it now. He says the mods doesn't make any difference as to weather the battery gets worn out or not. If that's the case then its no problem then.

Veteater

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Oops!!! Veteater already explained it all. Just seeing it now. He says the mods doesn't make any difference as to weather the battery gets worn out or not. If that's the case then its no problem then.
If the phone was on trickle charge at 80% or 100% depending on whether efficiency mode is enabled, then the battery would discharge because the input of charge would be less than the output. The phone cannot use its own battery if it is supposed to stay at a certain percent while the mod is on.

uribees

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Is it true that the Moto Z does not support Miracast? It is showing no devices when people are trying to connect via the Wireless Display Settings.

carver88

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I had the Droid Maxx and it was able to read me my text messages with the phone locked, screen off, and not plugged in or charging. All I had to do was use the voice command "ok Google, what's up?". I just picked up a Moto Z Force yesterday and tried to use it in the same way, but it prompted me to manually unlock my phone. My question is, is there a way to have the phone read out my new text message completely hands free as I used to do with my Droid Maxx?

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I had the Droid Maxx and it was able to read me my text messages with the phone locked, screen off, and not plugged in or charging. All I had to do was use the voice command "ok Google, what's up?". I just picked up a Moto Z Force yesterday and tried to use it in the same way, but it prompted me to manually unlock my phone. My question is, is there a way to have the phone read out my new text message completely hands free as I used to do with my Droid Maxx?

You likely need to set up additional security settings to allow it, such as trusted devices/zones. If the phone is password protected, but that can be largely or completely bypassed by a voice command at any time, it's not very secure.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Is it true that the Moto Z does not support Miracast? It is showing no devices when people are trying to connect via the Wireless Display Settings.

The manual indicates that it should support Miracast, but multiple people have reported it not working. Hopefully a future update will fix it, since it seems like it's meant to be supported, judging by the manual.