Facebook and Twitter icons not showing notifications

DroidRos

Jan 7, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
I recently acquired the Moto Z (switched from Samsung Galaxy S7) and have a problem with my Facebook and Twitter icons/badges not showing the number of new notifications. I have the same version of the Facebook app on the S7 as well as my Asus Tablet and they both show notifications. Any ideas?

Thanks.:D

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the Moto launcher doesn't show icon badges for third party apps like Facebook and Twitter. Standard Android doesn't support icon badges at all. If you want/need that, I suggest installing the third party launcher Nova Prime and their TeslaUnread plugin, which can show badges on these icons.

[edit] I should add that standard Android through Marshmallow does not support icon badging. The latest version of Nougat and the launcher of the Google Pixel is, I believe, just starting to show icon badges.

DroidRos

Jan 7, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Do the Samsung Galaxy and Asus tablet use non-standard Android launchers then?

BTW, I am running Android Version 7.0. Isn't that Nougat? What do you mean by Google Pixel? Do I have to do something to get it?

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Do the Samsung Galaxy and Asus tablet use non-standard Android launchers then?

Yep. Well, I'm not sure about Asus tables, but Samsung is definitely a customized version.

BTW, I am running Android Version 7.0. Isn't that Nougat? What do you mean by Google Pixel? Do I have to do something to get it?

The latest Nougat is Version 7.1, which is running only on Google Pixel and Nexus phones. Not on the Moto Z, yet. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my reply. Sometimes I assume that people know what I am talking about when I shouldn't assume so.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Everyone, even Google, uses a custom launcher.

Google Now Launcher is the AOSP launcher with Google Now integration to the left.

Pixel Launcher isn't the AOSP launcher.

Moto Zs use a modified version of the AOSP launcher with badges for calls and texts and I think support for landscape and portrait orientation.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Everyone, even Google, uses a custom launcher.

Google Now Launcher is the AOSP launcher with Google Now integration to the left.

Pixel Launcher isn't the AOSP launcher.

Moto Zs use a modified version of the AOSP launcher with badges for calls and texts and I think support for landscape and portrait orientation.

To clarify, I wasn't talking about the launcher. Until Nougat 7.1 (apparently), there was no API in AOSP Android that supported icon badges. The home screen icons had no programmable way to overwrite icons on home screens or the app drawer. Custom launchers used by Samsung and Motorola (and other companies) have been using custom methods to provide these badges. Apparently 7.1 has added an API for this, or so I have read, even though the Pixel launcher doesn't show them itself.

DroidRos

Jan 7, 2017
Visit site
Okay. Bottom line, do I need to download a custom launcher such as Nova Prime if I want to receive the notification badges for Facebook and Twitter?

Richard Lipsky1

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Yes bottom line, install from Google Play store, Nova Plus launcher and Tesla badge plugin, it will work perfectly. I am using on an Axon 7 wih 6.01 android installed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad