Moto Z w/ battery mod or Moto Z play (no mod)

decraig2000

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
I am really torn. I have a 2+ year old Droid Turbo that I love, but the battery life isn't what it used to be and I am considering an upgrade.

The Moto Z Play sure looks awesome as battery life is very important to me. Battery size and efficiency in the power consumption have me impressed. Hardware spec wise though it seems pretty lateral from my old Turbo. No build in wireless charging is a bummer. Of course I could always add the battery mod for crazy life and wireless, but there reaches a limit when it comes to thickness and weight of the phone that I want to deal with.

However, the Moto Z hardware specs are nicer than both the Z Play or my Turbo. So it has me wondering. How does the Moto Z with the Incipeo battery mod compare to the Z Play (no battery mod)? I do like the wireless charging that I could get with the Incipeo as that is a huge plus that I love about my old Turbo.

Has anyone done any battery performance comparisons of the Z w/ battery mod (4800 mAh combined) vs the Z Play (3510 mAh) stand alone? My google-fu is turning up nothing on this comparison.

Darius DuPree

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I am really torn. I have a 2+ year old Droid Turbo that I love, but the battery life isn't what it used to be and I am considering an upgrade.

The Moto Z Play sure looks awesome as battery life is very important to me. Battery size and efficiency in the power consumption have me impressed. Hardware spec wise though it seems pretty lateral from my old Turbo. No build in wireless charging is a bummer. Of course I could always add the battery mod for crazy life and wireless, but there reaches a limit when it comes to thickness and weight of the phone that I want to deal with.

However, the Moto Z hardware specs are nicer than both the Z Play or my Turbo. So it has me wondering. How does the Moto Z with the Incipeo battery mod compare to the Z Play (no battery mod)? I do like the wireless charging that I could get with the Incipeo as that is a huge plus that I love about my old Turbo.

Has anyone done any battery performance comparisons of the Z w/ battery mod (4800 mAh combined) vs the Z Play (3510 mAh) stand alone? My google-fu is turning up nothing on this comparison.

I haven't done a comparison yet, but I did have an unlocked Z Play for a month until I sold it to a friend. But without a Mod on the Play, I charge the device every 3 days or so averaging 10-12 hours of SOT. I'm not a heavy user, at least I don't think, hours browsing Imgur, YouTube, Music streaming, messaging, etc wouldn't kill it.

Now I have a Moto Z Droid running on AT&T, that I traded my V20 for last night and without a battery mod I pulled 4-5 SOT before a charge. So adding a Battery mod would push those numbers to Z Play numbers, but the Z is pushing 1440p while the Play only pushes 1080p.

Right now it's all up to price and feel. The Z Play is going for $450 new at most online places, while I found a new Z for $499 on Amazon.

I love both devices and if I could handle multiple phones at once the Z would be #1 and the Play #2 .

The Z will be a little bit more future proof with the 820 and 4GB of RAM and a quicker update schedule, vs the 625 and 3 GB.

TL;DR - You won't go wrong with either

decraig2000

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
I ended up buying the Z Play Droid a few weeks ago. So far I really like the phone. The battery life is amazing. I miss the smaller size of the Turbo, but everything else about the Z Play I like better.

DCTF

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
I just got the Z Play, as a replacement for the Galaxy S6 I killed. I could have got the Z for not much more money, but my instincts were for the Z Play and I'm happy with that for now.

The battery is incredible, particularly after the poor battery life on the S6. I would bet it's not just battery capacity but the problem of a 1440p screen though. I thought I might feel the loss of the resolution, but the Z Play's 1080p screen is pretty nice: no problems there. (Sidenote - I don't really trust wireless charging. I've had it on phones in the past, and it makes your phone hot. It's not a dangerous temperature on paper, but I don't like the idea of slowly weakening my phone over time like that, and for what? Slow, inefficient charging. Better to have enough charge to get through the day so that wireless is never a requirement.)

Camera isn't as good as the Z. It's passable, but a step down from my old S6.

Build quality is great on the Z Play too imo, but you will need a case (glass is not shatterproof).

CPU/GPU is behind the Z but not in ways that become apparent to me. I use a lot of apps, but not games. I hear it's games that show the difference between the two. Again, the lower spec chips are to the Z Play's advantage, helping it to use less power.

The Z Play is a very heavy phone. If that's an issue, you might prefer the option of the Z + mod.

For me, the Z Play was the one. We just had that news about the Z2 range that's about to appear, so I'm likely to trade up to one of the Z2 models once they arrive, or take a Z or Z Force for the better camera if that's more cost-effective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC