verizon only or unlocked phone on the verizon network?

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
if you are using verizon, wouldn't it make sense to buy the unlocked phone as opposed to the verizon only phone since it would work with all networks?

for resale purposes, i would imagine you could get more money.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
if you are using verizon, wouldn't it make sense to buy the unlocked phone as opposed to the verizon only phone since it would work with all networks?

for resale purposes, i would imagine you could get more money.

Unlike last year's Moto X, none of the Moto Zs are for all four carriers.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
the unlocked version is for all networks but verizon?

GSM-based networks only.

(They call it the GSM Unlocked model)

AT&T, T-Mobile = get the GSM unlocked model

Verizon = get the DROID variant

Sprint = SOL

Soundtallica

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I really wanted to replace my XPE w Unlocked Play. I just can't go back Verizon branded anything.

Aside from the "Droid" logo on the camera hump, there's no Verizon branding anywhere on the phone. The only places you can see anything Verizon are in the boot animation and bloatware apps, but the bloatware is easily disabled and you'll only see the boot animation every time you restart your phone (which isn't often these days).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Correct, while the Verizon version is unlocked, so it'll work on other carriers. Though it doesn't support all of the other carriers bands as far as I know.

Even the sim free one is missing a few minor bands that a carrier phone has.

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Aside from the "Droid" logo on the camera hump, there's no Verizon branding anywhere on the phone. The only places you can see anything Verizon are in the boot animation and bloatware apps, but the bloatware is easily disabled and you'll only see the boot animation every time you restart your phone (which isn't often these days).

I meant more in terms of their hands on OS not aesthetics. Updates, native tethering, etc

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I heard that too, i think it has all or most of T-mobile, but missing a few of AT&T bands.

The only T-Mobile band missing is band 66. I don't think it is deployed yet, but if you plan to keep your phone for a few years then it could be A consideration

GMasonDragonDad

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
My lg-g4 died on Thanksgiving and I went to best buy at midnight to get a Play from the Verizon counter. Got home and spend hours trying to activate it. Verizon said to go to corporate store to get sim. Corp store said go back to BB since it was not in the Verizon system to activate. BB said go back to Verizon to get sim. Had to buy the another play from Verizon and will return original play to BB.

That little bit of info cost me 7 hours of effort.