difference between z play and z play droid?

lgbalfa

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
i just noticed that they combined the moto z play with the moto z play droid into one forum.

what is the difference between these two phones?

thanks

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The z play droid is a Verizon specific phone. The z play is an unlocked phone which works on gsm carriers though not officially supported by any carrier.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just to add that both phones are similar, just configured differently for different networks

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Like stated above the z play droid is Verizon phone its the same as z play but with verizons bloat and skins and branding slapped on it.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Bloat and skins, such a huge exaggeration now. But if you want to root it, it may be a long wait, if ever for the Droid variant.

brinox

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Also, the Z Play Droid has a slightly different software installation on it and will be updated separately from the Retail market Z Play. ANNOYINGLY, the non-Verizon Z Play doesn't have the option of showing the battery percentage to the right of the battery icon in the status bar. The only options we have are third party notification shade apps and the System UI tuner option, which is absolutely terrible.

I haven't found other semi-major functional differences yet, but I'll be buying the unlocked Retail Z Play later this evening. :-!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Also, the Z Play Droid has a slightly different software installation on it and will be updated separately from the Retail market Z Play.

As is the case with any other phone that has multiple variants, including but not limited to specific carrier versions and unlocked models.

ANNOYINGLY, the non-Verizon Z Play doesn't have the option of showing the battery percentage to the right of the battery icon in the status bar. The only options we have are third party notification shade apps and the System UI tuner option, which is absolutely terrible.

Likely specifically asked for by Verizon for their Droid variant. I believe other non-carrier Motorola phones behave the same way (no battery percentage unless you use System UI tuner).

huungryshark

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
what a big problem, especially with the plays batterylife :D

Or use the circle clock, you can even choose the color which shows battery level.

Attachments

• 16478.jpg
    16478.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 27

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad