QI wireless receiver and Moto shell

Tim Owen

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone fitted a qi wireless receiver to the back of a Moto z and then placed the Moto shell on to cover it? Just wondering if it will work or do the magnetic connectors and qi receiver stop the shell from connecting to the phone?

jbird68

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
I have not done this but I was disappointed Motorola dropped the QI charger from this phone by itself. I don't want to buy the battery mod must to get QI wireless charging. It won't fit in my case with a battery mod attached.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have not done this but I was disappointed Motorola dropped the QI charger from this phone by itself. I don't want to buy the battery mod must to get QI wireless charging. It won't fit in my case with a battery mod attached.

Dropped from a previous Moto Z?

JerryBD

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
Sure, I did. But you must remove original back as it contains magnets. My solution was to buy QI charger combo "Micro USB Type C Qi Wireless Charging Receiver Module + Launch Charger Pad Base" on eBay and on Amazon: "Moto Z Play Case, Cimo [Matte] Premium Slim Protective Cover for Motorola Moto Z Play Droid (2016) - Black". Installation was trivial. Works just fine. Finally no connecting cables. Charging pad is very light and easy to carry on a trip. As Moto Z Play has very good battery utilization, I use chager daily, but every other day would be just enough. Total cost was $9 for charger and $5 for back cover. There are drawbacks, though. Slow charging only (no complants from me) and usb port permanently covered. So far I like it and yes, it should be standard feature, not $50 add-on.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Sure, I did. But you must remove original back as it contains magnets. My solution was to buy QI charger combo "Micro USB Type C Qi Wireless Charging Receiver Module + Launch Charger Pad Base" on eBay and on Amazon: "Moto Z Play Case, Cimo [Matte] Premium Slim Protective Cover for Motorola Moto Z Play Droid (2016) - Black". Installation was trivial. Works just fine. Finally no connecting cables. Charging pad is very light and easy to carry on a trip. As Moto Z Play has very good battery utilization, I use chager daily, but every other day would be just enough. Total cost was $9 for charger and $5 for back cover. There are drawbacks, though. Slow charging only (no complants from me) and usb port permanently covered. So far I like it and yes, it should be standard feature, not $50 add-on.
Jerry any way you could post some photos? I would love to see it.

JerryBD

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
Here are images - should be self explanatory.
Final look (back).
DSCN3929.JPG
Separate back + installed "antenna"
DSCN3930.JPG
Installed "antenna" - close-up
DSCN3931.JPG
Front view on USB port with antenna
DSCN3932.JPG
Front view on USB port with antenna + back installed
DSCN3933.JPG

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
For those who wish Qi charging was built in, I'm curious how you would make that work, considering it would need to work with Mods that cover the entire back of the phone, and often add considerable depth.

I do wish they offered a thin style shell with Qi built in.

huungryshark

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
why isn't there such a mod?

Easy to make and selling like sliced breads, i guess.

you really don't need a battery pack with the Z play, I am a heavy user and. 1.5 days no problemo.

Just wireless charging

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
why isn't there such a mod?

Easy to make and selling like sliced breads, i guess.

you really don't need a battery pack with the Z play, I am a heavy user and. 1.5 days no problemo.

Just wireless charging

There can be.

Go develop one. :)