Will the Moto Z Play and Force get Android 8.0?

fedxup

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I know, this doesn't even have Nougat yet, but based on history, do we think this will get 8.0? Still deciding, but I might get this today. Not sure if I want to get a phone that would only be updated with 1 new version of the software. I know, if that is a deal breaker, then get a Nexus or Pixel. Thoughts?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I know, this doesn't even have Nougat yet, but based on history, do we think this will get 8.0? Still deciding, but I might get this today. Not sure if I want to get a phone that would only be updated with 1 new version of the software. I know, if that is a deal breaker, then get a Nexus or Pixel. Thoughts?

Even if we think it will or won't, there's no guarantee.

Wallaboom

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
Looking at the past the popular mid range phones got on average 2 updates. With how well received the Play has been I wouldn't not bet against it not getting 8.0. Again though you could grab it see if you like the phone and worse case sell it mid way through and the the Moto Play Z 2.0? 😀

fedxup

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I did end up getting this a few days ago.Loving the battery life. Took it off the charger yesterday morning at 6:30am. I'm not a power user, but after few phone calls, ton of texts, web browsing, 4.5 hours of screen time, it was still at 52% when I went to bed. No need to even charge! Runs smoother and faster than my 3 year old LG G3. Glad I went with this.
Not sure if it would be worth it at $450, but being on sale at BB for $400, $25 Visa Checkout discount, plus BB reward I had, 2% Ebates and just happened to be in tax free Delaware on Sunday brought the price down to under $350!

Wallaboom

Jan 17, 2017
Visit site
Gratz on the phone! Yeah the phone has been great for me as well, battery life and overall speed. Also just wait until you get a few mods, makes the phone even more enjoyable! Got the Hasselblad and Car mount mod and loving them. Enjoy the phone, if you need help with something let us know!

matthewkuhl

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Was Moto sold again?

i meant it in the sense that Lenovo does not appear concerned with updating software with any urgency. My Moto Z and X are both two months behind in the security patch updates department, having both just received the December patch.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
i meant it in the sense that Lenovo does not appear concerned with updating software with any urgency. My Moto Z and X are both two months behind in the security patch updates department, having both just received the December patch.
Oh my fault, I thought you were saying something else

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Motorola never committed to monthly updates.