Moto Z Play: Nougat experience

GBO323

Dec 31, 2016
Visit site
Unlocked MZP here

Power off and Startup is much quicker. 100% quicker.

Dislike the new startup animation but it starts up faster.

New pulldown notifications are nice...Some with quick reply options come in handy.

Battery life is seems to be a tad longer. Going 48 hours on same charge with no battery mod.

Screen transitions are fluid and buttery.

This update is what I wanted MZP to be in the first place.

How about others' experiences?

tex0322

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I have no comparison to the old because mine updated literally a few minutes after I first turned it on. This phone is incredibly smooth though and already I can tell the battery life is amazing.

Terepin

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
It's horrible. MM was smooth. This? Like some cheap Chinese crap. There is stuttering EVERYWHERE. For example Android Messages are stuttering the whole time no matter what, G+ is stuttering when loading new content, the same goes for 9gag. Sporadic stuttering is seen throughout the whole system, like swiping home screens or scrolling in Settings. I never see this much broken update in my life.

GBO323

Dec 31, 2016
Visit site
It's horrible. MM was smooth. This? Like some cheap Chinese crap. There is stuttering EVERYWHERE. For example Android Messages are stuttering the whole time no matter what, G+ is stuttering when loading new content, the same goes for 9gag. Sporadic stuttering is seen throughout the whole system, like swiping home screens or scrolling in Settings. I never see this much broken update in my life.
Sounds like a factory reset wasn't done. This is my experience when I don't reset.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
A lot of complaints on the new update over on Motorola's website Community Pages also. Number 1 complaint seems to be much poorer battery life, and a few losing LTE and / or very poor signal. Of course the mods on there first suggestion was doing a Factory Data Reset, which seems most people did and still were having the same issues. I was about to buy one of these in the next week or so but I think I'm going to hold off now and see what becomes of these issues.

fedxup

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I updated on Wednesday night and haven't noticed any differences in performance or battery life. Was fully charged this morning,have had 3.5 hours of SOT and battery is at 71%. I usually average about 1 hour SOT for each 10% of the battery, so I'm actually ahead of my normal pace.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I updated on Wednesday night and haven't noticed any differences in performance or battery life. Was fully charged this morning,have had 3.5 hours of SOT and battery is at 71%. I usually average about 1 hour SOT for each 10% of the battery, so I'm actually ahead of my normal pace.

I'm about the same as this. 10% for every hour of SOT.

xeene

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Having native call blocker built into a dialer is worth it alone to update from crappy marshmallow.
Fantastic experience on unlocked z play with nougat. Phone flies and hardly sips any battery.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Even with a couple cache partition wipes I was still getting jittery performance using the Google Now launcher. Switched to Nova, spent a couple hours tweaking it, and now I'm happy as a clam!

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Even with a couple cache partition wipes I was still getting jittery performance using the Google Now launcher. Switched to Nova, spent a couple hours tweaking it, and now I'm happy as a clam!

I use Nova regularly anyway. So, overall, with that fix in place you'd recommend updating? I'm on the fence lol...

CutlaSS

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
FWIW I'm not experiencing any performance issues but I cannot tell you how it was before the update because it got updated 2 days after I got it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34