Droid Z Play display fails 12hrs after the update !

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
late last night I installed the latest patch. no issues at all. during this morning. I did forget to delete the cache memory.
All of a sudden minutes ago, i found the phone irresponsive to any touch or move (active display). When pressing the physical buttons nothing happens neither. Home button long press triggered a very short flicker of the screen (only skinny part on the right side). Now, I can see that flicker go off every time I move the phone or hover over the sensors. I'm unable to turn off the phone (damn the sealed batteries) by doing any combination of button pressing.
IDK what to do. Definitely, not into going through the e hassle of replacing it.
Any suggestion would help.
thanks

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
it's still dead, so I can't see anything on the screen when it's powered back on.
btw, seems like I found the problem -
2 hair thing cracks underneath the upper right corner. when I say underneath I mean it literally - the glass surface is absolutely intact. I have no clue what kind of the pressure caused it. I guess it just coincided with the update. I'll keep trying to play with.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
it's still dead, so I can't see anything on the screen when it's powered back on.
btw, seems like I found the problem -
2 hair thing cracks underneath the upper right corner. when I say underneath I mean it literally - the glass surface is absolutely intact. I have no clue what kind of the pressure caused it. I guess it just coincided with the update. I'll keep trying to play with.

So hardware issue unlikely caused by an update?

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
So hardware issue unlikely caused by an update?

Cant confirm 100%. Will try using insta projector today and see if I can wipe cache or if FDR brings it back. The "damage" might have been there for longer. It's almost impossible to see those "cracks" and I've never seen anything like that causing problems like this.

VZW Moto X DE/N7

tanmarti

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
I'm having the same issue and my phone has no defects. I've had it for about a month. I can't tell if my phone powers off because the screen is blank except for an occasional flash in the upper right hand corner. It does make sounds like it's powering up, but nothing happens with the screen. My phone updated yesterday also.

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue and my phone has no defects. I've had it for about a month. I can't tell if my phone powers off because the screen is blank except for an occasional flash in the upper right hand corner. It does make sounds like it's powering up, but nothing happens with the screen. My phone updated yesterday also.

Wow, now I'm more hopeful. because, I didn't wanna deal the new phone and if so I was worried about the warranty coverage - if they would blame it on "physical damage".
Mine works perfectly fine, sans the screen :)
For example I tried to answer the phone by swiping from the area to the right and it worked. Also chop chop still turns the flashlight on and off.
I'm about to go to BB and grab the projector and will post the results tonight.

VZW Moto X DE/N7

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
epic fail. these are the only actions shown on the projector. no swiping or touching on the screen would do anything. Also I only managed to get them connect once. I kept trying for another 30 min with no success.
I don't know what else to try.

Attachments

• 207530.jpg
    207530.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
this is the home screen and it's wallpaper. everything else is gone somehow.

Attachments

• 207526.jpg
    207526.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Issue resolved - it's definitely"physical damage". In the first week digitizer worked just fine and from then it just got worse. Also, the small flickers on the side were completely gone. The 2 very small hair thin cracks underneath the front glass caused the screen to malfunction and eventually the while digitizer.
Going back to that morning, I realized that there might have been a moment where the phone was stressed in some way, but not to the point of breaking. I dropped my XPure with the same kind of the skinny TPU and nothing ever happened. Looking at some similar experiences on the web, Z Play has a weak spot and it's prone to crack I this area. So, I would recommend to everyone to get a cushier (around edges) bumper or case, as I just did for the replacement phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Issue resolved - it's definitely"physical damage". In the first week digitizer worked just fine and from then it just got worse. Also, the small flickers on the side were completely gone. The 2 very small hair thin cracks underneath the front glass caused the screen to malfunction and eventually the while digitizer.
Going back to that morning, I realized that there might have been a moment where the phone was stressed in some way, but not to the point of breaking. I dropped my XPure with the same kind of the skinny TPU and nothing ever happened. Looking at some similar experiences on the web, Z Play has a weak spot and it's prone to crack I this area. So, I would recommend to everyone to get a cushier (around edges) bumper or case, as I just did for the replacement phone.

Could you point me to the similar experiences?

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Could you point me to the similar experiences?

I don't think I can. :) I ran into it while I was looking up how to back up and flash stuff with Fastboot commands. One case was on XDA forums and one somewhere else.
Maybe it's still in anecdotal numbers , but better safe than sorry. Again, this phone was not dropped (if at all) from anything above knee line (waist at the most) and the fact that the impact caused inner layer to crack shows that the design and placement of the frame around it might be flawed in a way (pressing tighter than it should).

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX