The Verge's Dan Seifert "Moto’s Z Play is the phone I just can’t quit"

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/10/15236138/moto-z-play-battery-life

But over the past few weeks I’ve learned that the most important feature on my smartphone is none of the above; it’s the battery life. It’s a little obvious: if your phone’s battery is dead, none of the other features are useful or even matter.

I’m sure that I will be tempted by other devices coming out this year (the Galaxy S8’s design and display might be too irresistible to for my poor wallet), but each time I’ve switched my SIM into another phone, it ended up back in my Z Play after less than a day. I hope that in the future other device makers will prioritize battery life the way that Moto did here, without compromising the rest of the features that make my smartphone such an indispensable tool. Until then, I’ll be sticking with my Z Play.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
He's got an excellent point. The Z series is fast, good hardware and the Play is great battery life on top of it. I can't agree that the S8's design is irresistible, looks really bad to me but I get that a lot of people like it. Between the S8 and the Z Play, I'd probably go Z play.

BigCTM

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree...I have never kept a phone as long as this one. Battery life trumps all other features. Not interested in other phones with less battery life...

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
It's something you have to use to appreciate. On a couple of lazy Sundays I've hit 6 hours of SOT with my phone still at 50%.

It's as smooth as the 6P I gave up, with more than twice the battery life. What's not to like?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: The Verge's Dan Seifert "Moto’s Z Play is the phone I just can’t quit"

I sometimes switch between several different phones. Moto G4 Plus, Z Play, and Z Force.

Everytime I go back to the Z Play I always am amazed how it performs. Battery life is always great.
I find it interesting some big web sites don't include it when they do battery comparisons.

Last edited:

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Can you live with the camera in the Z Play?

Lately, my Turbo is suddenly struggling to get through a full day (I do use it a lot). IIRC, you previously had a Turbo. Is the camera better than, worse than, or about the same as the Turbo?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Can you live with the camera in the Z Play?

Lately, my Turbo is suddenly struggling to get through a full day (I do use it a lot). IIRC, you previously had a Turbo. Is the camera better than, worse than, or about the same as the Turbo?
So...... I don't take enough photos to have a strong opinion, or enough knowledge about the differences. It takes photos in my opinion as good as my Turbo did. I'm happy with the camera. I'm sure some are better.

Battery life is twice the turbo, in my opinion. I'll attach screen shots from gsam as proof.
6883364efe540c495ee6f15dd914bbfb.jpg

This first one was just showing standby battery drain.

12e507da713713c596fa3e1c3cc4339b.jpg

This one shows heavy use for me. Screen on time is insane.

I have had the phone for 4 months and it's a real step up from the turbo. I loved the turbo but this beats it every way.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

So...... I don't take enough photos to have a strong opinion, or enough knowledge about the differences. It takes photos in my opinion as good as my Turbo did. I'm happy with the camera. I'm sure some are better.

Battery life is twice the turbo, in my opinion. I'll attach screen shots from gsam as proof. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170416/6883364efe540c495ee6f15dd914bbfb.jpg

This first one was just showing standby battery drain.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170416/12e507da713713c596fa3e1c3cc4339b.jpg

This one shows heavy use for me. Screen on time is insane.

I have had the phone for 4 months and it's a real step up from the turbo. I loved the turbo but this beats it every way.

Agreed. Only think I liked better about the Turbo was the look and feel. The Z Play is a tad big for my liking.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Agreed. Only think I liked better about the Turbo was the look and feel. The Z Play is a tad big for my liking.
I feel exactly the opposite. Wish they made a 5.7 or 6.0 screen. But then mods would have to be bigger too.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If the Play was available before or at the same time as the Force, I would have got the Play.

decraig2000

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
I have had my Z Play Droid for a week now. I went from an original Turbo to this phone. If my 27 month old Turbo would let me run hard for a full day (like it did for the first 18 months I had it) I would still be using it but over time that battery just lost its capacity to to keep up with me. So far this Z Play Droid is everything that you hear about. The battery is insane. As a user, this phone is smooth and fast ... that being said, I don't play games either. The only part about the Turbo that I really like better is the smaller size. The Z Play Droid is pushing it for me in terms of almost being too big. But overall I am really liking this new phone.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have had my Z Play Droid for a week now. I went from an original Turbo to this phone. If my 27 month old Turbo would let me run hard for a full day (like it did for the first 18 months I had it) I would still be using it but over time that battery just lost its capacity to to keep up with me. So far this Z Play Droid is everything that you hear about. The battery is insane. As a user, this phone is smooth and fast ... that being said, I don't play games either. The only part about the Turbo that I really like better is the smaller size. The Z Play Droid is pushing it for me in terms of almost being too big. But overall I am really liking this new phone.

Any comments on the camera in the Z Play Droid vs. the Droid Turbo?

Does it take better pictures?
Better low light pictures?
How about capturing moving objects without blurring?

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
If the Play was available before or at the same time as the Force, I would have got the Play.
For the price I agree, but I like the better camera and Shattershield. I feel comfortable just using a bumper case and screen protector without insurance.

decraig2000

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
Any comments on the camera in the Z Play Droid vs. the Droid Turbo?

Does it take better pictures?
Better low light pictures?
How about capturing moving objects without blurring?

Honestly, I haven't taken many pictures with it yet. I know many hated the Turbo's camera when it came out but I found over the long haul with various upgrades and using the app A Better Camera, that I could take some pretty good pictures with it. At least good enough for social media stuff. If I want real good photos I grab one of my DSLR's anyway. I hope to play with the stock camera app and the Better Camera app on the Z Play Droid in the coming week or two. I just haven't been in a setting where I wanted or needed to take photos yet.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I haven't taken many pictures with it yet. I know many hated the Turbo's camera when it came out but I found over the long haul with various upgrades and using the app A Better Camera, that I could take some pretty good pictures with it. At least good enough for social media stuff. If I want real good photos I grab one of my DSLR's anyway. I hope to play with the stock camera app and the Better Camera app on the Z Play Droid in the coming week or two. I just haven't been in a setting where I wanted or needed to take photos yet.

My Turbo has always taken pretty good pictures. They could be better at low light and movement shots which is why I wanted to know about the Turbo vs. Z Play comparisons.

I did see some encouraging results on the GSMArena Photo Quality comparison test.

Here I've got the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge vs. Moto Z Play vs. Pixel XL. Galaxy S7 Edge and Pixel XL are widely reported to be the best phone cameras on the market.

Photo Compare Tool - GSMArena.com

If you move around the green rectangular window on the poster you can compare the three cameras directly. Be sure to move the window so you can see the color plates. Also change the poster to the Good Light and especially Low Light posters and look at various objects for more comparisons. The Moto Z Play does very well against these other phone cameras.

Here is the Moto X Force (which I take it to mean Moto X Play) vs. the Moto Z Play vs. the Moto Nexus 6.

The Z Play is the obvious winner. Here's a screen grab I made off the Low Light poster.

Moto Camera Compare.JPG

DJ Sandman

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
My Turbo has always taken pretty good pictures. They could be better at low light and movement shots which is why I wanted to know about the Turbo vs. Z Play comparisons.

I did see some encouraging results on the GSMArena Photo Quality comparison test.

Here I've got the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge vs. Moto Z Play vs. Pixel XL. Galaxy S7 Edge and Pixel XL are widely reported to be the best phone cameras on the market.

If you move around the green rectangular window on the poster you can compare the three cameras directly. Be sure to move the window so you can see the color plates. Also change the poster to the Good Light and especially Low Light posters and look at various objects for more comparisons. The Moto Z Play does very well against these other phone cameras.

Here is the Moto X Force (which I take it to mean Moto X Play) vs. the Moto Z Play vs. the Moto Nexus 6.

The Z Play is the obvious winner. Here's a screen grab I made off the Low Light poster.

View attachment 256972

One correction - the Moto X Force is the equivalent of the Droid Turbo 2 Verizon Exclusive. The Moto X Play is the equivalent of the Droid Maxx 2.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
One correction - the Moto X Force is the equivalent of the Droid Turbo 2 Verizon Exclusive. The Moto X Play is the equivalent of the Droid Maxx 2.

Thanks for the correction. That means the Moto X Force (Droid Turbo 2) is basically the same camera as what I have in my Turbo 1. So it looks like the Z Play camera would outperform my Turbo camera.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza