Anyone getting a Moto Z?

Veteater

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Veteater. First of all thanks for all the information you've giving us prior to the announcement of the phone and Mods. But I really believe people have some questions they might want to ask/know especially me and my 4 buddies (who've already ordered anyway, 2 on my recommendation) and I feel like you're in the best position amongst everyone on A/C to help out here. Now, my questions are these.

1. Pls do you have any idea when the camera Mod is being released or why its taking so long? (Pls, u had better manufacture an answer on this one, even if its isn't true, lol. I really need to hear something, anything, LoL)

2. When will the developer kit be released to the public?

3. Do you in any way know or have any information on Mods motorola are working on right now?

Now, even if you don't really tell us precise dates, but at least a time frame period will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, you're the best.
I. I have no clue as to when the camera mod is coming, but the Moto Z stand at the best buy had a spot for the camera mod, so I suppose it's coming soon.
II.DK is already out.
III. Motorola is currently working on a camera mod called the Hasselblad True Optic (?) or something like that, as well as some adventure mod of which I have absolutely no information on. Next time I go to best buy I will tell you guys.
-Again, the phone seems like a very solid device at first impression, and definitely the zippiest phone I have used yet. The Moto mods are totally lit, but the projector won't sell. Also, I would wait for the unlocked GSM variant, which will definitely be priced less than $624, which is a bit steep.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I. I have no clue as to when the camera mod is coming, but the Moto Z stand at the best buy had a spot for the camera mod, so I suppose it's coming soon.
II.DK is already out.
III. Motorola is currently working on a camera mod called the Hasselblad True Optic (?) or something like that, as well as some adventure mod of which I have absolutely no information on. Next time I go to best buy I will tell you guys.
-Again, the phone seems like a very solid device at first impression, and definitely the zippiest phone I have used yet. The Moto mods are totally lit, but the projector won't sell. Also, I would wait for the unlocked GSM variant, which will definitely be priced less than $624, which is a bit steep.

"Adventure Mod" is basically a waterproof case for the Moto Z. Curious if there will be two though since one is thicker than the other. It supposedly has a fisheye lens attachment.

Bankz111

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
Simply fantastic. Probably the most innovative android phone of all time and the most innovative smartphone after the original iphone. Crazy stuff, Can't wait tbh..

Veteater

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Simply fantastic. Probably the most innovative android phone of all time and the most innovative smartphone after the original iphone. Crazy stuff, Can't wait tbh..
True. The mods are the most innovative thing done to a smartphone for a long while... It's about damn time. However, the standard Z is too expensive. The camera on the standard Z is better than that of the Nexus 6P's but doesn't compare to that of the GS7, HTC 10, or LG G5. And battery life is a bit short with the 2600 mAh battery, however, the phone is quite efficient. The unlocked variant of the phone will with be less expensive than the Droid edition on Verizon, at probably about $450-$550, at which price this phone and its mods would be a steal. But $624 is steep for the Z.

Sure, there are your ZTE Axon 7s and Oneplus 3s of the world, at $400-$450, but they only work on GSM carriers, just like the coming unlocked Z. So right now, you are basically out of luck if you are on Verizon and don't want the bloatware or outrageously priced devices on their network. Really, the only option at this point if you want a high end phone that is less than GS7 price and works on all four carriers is the upcoming nexus. If an unlocked Z would work on all four carriers it would be just as good, or better of a deal than the nexus.

However, the ONLY smartphone you can buy if you want assured monthly security patches is the nexus. Samsung has been doing well in this regard because they have the money to afford the monthly updates. Motorola and the rest of them are skating on ice in the phone market, and none of them provide monthly security patches. Their update schedules are terrible because they cannot afford it. At least motorola spoke on the matter. So, as much as I like the Moto Z and as much as I want one, I am going to most likely get this year's nexus because I avoid Verizon bloatware and don't end up paying $600+ for a high end phone, and I get stock android. Also, I receive instantaneous updates in every regard. So I want a moto Z, and it is one of the best, if not the best, phones of the year so far, but am basically forced to get the nexus if I want Verizon service but don't want Verizon bloatware, or the slow security updates that come along with any phone that is not a nexus or a high end galaxy.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
True. The mods are the most innovative thing done to a smartphone for a long while... It's about damn time. However, the standard Z is too expensive. The camera on the standard Z is better than that of the Nexus 6P's but doesn't compare to that of the GS7, HTC 10, or LG G5. And battery life is a bit short with the 2600 mAh battery, however, the phone is quite efficient. The unlocked variant of the phone will with be less expensive than the Droid edition on Verizon, at probably about $450-$550, at which price this phone and its mods would be a steal. But $624 is steep for the Z.

Sure, there are your ZTE Axon 7s and Oneplus 3s of the world, at $400-$450, but they only work on GSM carriers, just like the coming unlocked Z. So right now, you are basically out of luck if you are on Verizon and don't want the bloatware or outrageously priced devices on their network. Really, the only option at this point if you want a high end phone that is less than GS7 price and works on all four carriers is the upcoming nexus. If an unlocked Z would work on all four carriers it would be just as good, or better of a deal than the nexus.

However, the ONLY smartphone you can buy if you want assured monthly security patches is the nexus. Samsung has been doing well in this regard because they have the money to afford the monthly updates. Motorola and the rest of them are skating on ice in the phone market, and none of them provide monthly security patches. Their update schedules are terrible because they cannot afford it. At least motorola spoke on the matter. So, as much as I like the Moto Z and as much as I want one, I am going to most likely get this year's nexus because I avoid Verizon bloatware and don't end up paying $600+ for a high end phone, and I get stock android. Also, I receive instantaneous updates in every regard. So I want a moto Z, and it is one of the best, if not the best, phones of the year so far, but am basically forced to get the nexus if I want Verizon service but don't want Verizon bloatware, or the slow security updates that come along with any phone that is not a nexus or a high end galaxy.

The Moto Z price isn't very relevant for many buyers who can get a deal at some point. My wife got the Z for $1, and I got my Z Force for $100. There probably won't be any significant deals on the Nexus phones for a while after launch, and even then will cost more than what some are able to get a Z for. That's not relevant for everyone of course.

The bloatware thing is overblown. All the preinstalled games can be fully uninstalled, so that's maybe a minute to deal with. The carrier apps can be disabled, and there's only like a half dozen of them (and the MyVerizon app is actually useful if you're on Verizon).

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
If you pay full price for these phones you're either not paying attention or you just don't care. There will be frequent deals so I too think it's funny when people cry about the price.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Not atm , but was An email ad I got from Verizon hyping the phone. I don't believe that for a second unless they mean in sleep mode.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Went and played with both today at Verizon. Droid Force felt better in hand to me, the Z just felt too thin in hand. Like the added weight and thickness the force had to it. Both phones looked solid though, too bad the force will never come out unlocked. Not going to get the Z just to have to get a huge battery pack to last the day.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
If you pay full price for these phones you're either not paying attention or you just don't care. There will be frequent deals so I too think it's funny when people cry about the price.

Won't be deals for full price though and most require you to upgrade or payment plan so its not really much of a "deal"

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
That wasn't true of the Best Buy deal.

What best buy deal? Show me a deal of paying full price (not upgrade or payment plan) that discounts the full retail of the device. Right from BB's site "with activation and 2-year contract for Verizon Wireless. Or, save $200 with monthly installment plan for Verizon Wireless1. Plus get a free JBL SoundBoost Moto Mod speaker ($79.99 value)."