Moto Z Droid Edition Battery Life

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
This was my first full day using the Z Droid Edition. I went with the regular Z because of the size. The Force edition became really thick with any of the covers or mods installed in my opinion. Also I prefer the Gorilla glass over the shattershield.

Either way, I got about 4hrs of SOT with normal usage. I believe I took it off of the charger right around 7AM.

View attachment 233606
View attachment 233607
View attachment 233608

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Better than I expected!

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Awesome post. Please keep them coming. These posts are helping me to make a decision so I really appreciate it.

legobob76

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Good to know on the battery.
I just picked up a Force but I'm thinking of returning for the regular Z. Although thinner than the Moto X 2014 it's replacing I am finding it a little thick even with just the style shell. I don't care about the better camera but went with the Force due to the battery.

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Good to know on the battery.
I just picked up a Force but I'm thinking of returning for the regular Z. Although thinner than the Moto X 2014 it's replacing I am finding it a little thick even with just the style shell. I don't care about the better camera but went with the Force due to the battery.

That's what made me get the regular Z. The Force was much larger with covers installed.

Posted via the Android Central App

Veteater

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Its even better than the Z force (for its battery capacity).. And probably better than most 3,000 mah phones tbh

It is slightly more efficient for the size of battery it has than the Z force, but the standard Z does not have the battery life of your average 3000 mAh phone. A bit ambitious of a statement... :D. Since I am here now, I will go ahead and give a second impressions review of the phone, as I went to the Verizon store to actually get to really use the phone (standard Z):
-Design
I have nothing but good things to say about the design, It is a beautiful phone, and is ludicrously thin. The back is stainless steel and it doesn't feel at all like glass, contrary to what dome reviewers said. The phone is not the most comfortable to hold without a mod, due to the lack of ergonomics in hand, flat back, and sharp edges, but a simple style shell fixes that with its slight curves round the edges, and the battery mod makes the phone feel amazing in the hand. The top of the phone's front houses the 5MP front camera, the front facing speaker/earpiece, an IR camera, and a front facing flash, the usual affair for a flagship motorola at this point. The bottom contains a moto logo, a fingerprint scanner, as well as two IR cameras flanking the fingerprint scanner. Below that are two noise cancelling mics. Side note: the white front exposes everything, and literally makes the front of the phone so ugly that you wonder why the white version of the phone even exists. The black front hides all of the sensors and therefore looks nice.

Around top, there is a microSD card tray, that doubles as a SIM card tray. On the left, there is nothing, and on the right, there are your volume buttons, and below those, the power button with a slight texture. On the bottom, there is a USB-C port. Around back is the 13MP Sony IMX214/IMX278 camera, laser autofocus, and the dual LED flash. Another noise cancelling mic is at the bottom of the back of the phone. Said phone measures 6.04" by 2.96' by 5.19mm thick.
-Display (source: Anandtech)
The phone has a 5.5" AMOLED display at a resolution of 2560x1440 pixels (1440p) at a pixel density of 534 ppi. It is bright and shows relatively accurate colors, when compared to my Droid Turbo 2. I think the GS7 display looked better, however. Display measurements:
White point: 7,080K (Kelvins)
This means that the phone's display's whites are a little bit cool, and definitely cooler than those of the Nexus 6P or Oneplus 3 (sRGB mode).
Grayscale DeltaE2000: 3.33
Grayscale accuracy is worse than that of the Samsung Galaxy S7 and Note 5, as well as both the Nexus 6P and the Oneplus 3 in their respective sRGB modes, due to a cooler white point that also throws grays off a little bit, especially lighter shades of gray.
Saturation Accuracy DeltaE2000: 3.09
This is quite a good result, but not as good as the Galaxy S7, Note 5, Oneplus 3, or Nexus 6P. Color saturation is very close to the target sRGB color space, although blue is a bit oversaturated, and red is ever so slightly undersaturated. This causes a slight shift in secondary colors magenta and yellow.
GMB Accuracy DeltaE2000: 2.53
Overall color accuracy is very good and on par with every other flagship. So, the display is a well calibrated AMOLED, although its whites and grays are slightly cool.
-Software
Well, its close-to-stock with some Motorola enhancements, and the Verizon bloatware we ALL love, right?
Anyway, instead of the Moto Z coming with the Google Now Launcher preloaded, it comes with "Launcher3", somehting that Verizon has had Motorola put on the Droid line of phones since the original droid turbo. It is obviously different from Google's own launcher: it lacks a Google Now leftmost screen, and the backgrounds for the app drawer as well as those for the folders and widget menus are all transparent. Regardless, everything is kept close to stock android. You have your usual suite of Google apps, and a slew of verizon apps. The games can be deleted, luckily, and every Verizon app other than "Voice Mail" can be disabled. Then there's the usual affair of Motorola apps, with the exclusion of the Gallery app, which has been replaced with Google Photos, and the old calendar app, which has been replaced with Google's calendar. The phone is literally the fastest phone I have ever used. There was no lag or slowdowns WHATSOEVER during operation, it put my Turbo 2 to shame and made the S7 look like it was moving in slow-motion, no kidding. I will post benchmarks and camera information later, when I can get a better look at those aspects of the phone.
-Audio
The phone has a single front-facing speaker. While I didn't spend very much time listening to it, I can definitely say that it is a good speaker. The sound is loud and clear, and actually quite crisp. Unfortunately, the speaker lacks good bass/low end. However, in the midrange, it starts to come alive. Where the speaker really shines is its treble, with clear high tones that are not overly pitchy and have a decent richness to them, with little distortion. For a better summary of the audio experience: Imagine an HTC 10 without the subwoofer, just the tweeter, and add a slight bit more richness and bass to the speaker. However, while the speaker on the Z is good, it is by no means the best, and its inherent lack of bass allows it to be outmatched by the likes of, say, the Droid Turbo 2. And I obviously don't have access to the USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, so I don't know what headphone audio sounds like through the Z and its adapter.
-Battery
for some reason, the charger on the demo unit was not working, so I was able to pseudo-test the battery on the Z a little, and from what I can tell just from using the device for about 45 minutes (light-moderate use), the battery drained about 9 percent, from 35% to 26%. Then again, I am spoiled by the great uptimes I receive from my turbo 2, with its gargantuan 3,760 mAh battery. But still, the Z would probably give you about 3-4 hours of SOT with moderately heavy use, which is about right on par with what an LG G5 would get and less than what a GS7 or HTC 10 would get. However, for such a low capacity battery, it is an efficient phone. Again, it is about on par with the LG G5, but not the GS7 or HTC 10. The fix for that is the battery mod, which increases total capacity to 4,820 mAh. It can be utilized to simply recharge the phone, or could be used as something that is kept on the phone daily, that keeps your phone at 100% until the mod dies, then the phone uses its internal battery. If the mod used on the phone daily, it works somewhat like certain fast chargers, including Motorola's own turbocharger, where it charges the phone's internal battery to 100%, and the phone simply utilizes the charger as its power source instead of its own internal battery, unlike battery cases that simply charge the phone, and serve no other function but to charge the phone. Since it is almost 5,000 mAh of battery to be charged, this will cause you to charge your phone overnight instead of topping off.

Overall, the Z seems like an innovative and spectacular phone, if a bit too pricey. The price of the unlocked Z will certainly be more reasonable and a bit less expensive than that of the droid edition. However, I would not settle in to buying one until the nexus comes out, as that is truly this phone's only real competition. I will update you guys with camera information and maybe some performance benchmarks when I can.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday was my third day with the Z Force, so my usage is getting fairly normalized. Unplugged around 7:30am, used it probably just a little above average compared to most, and had 30% left when I plugged it in before bed around 11pm. Unfortunately I forgot to check screen on time to give an idea of usage. I do have all the Moto sensors and tricks turned on.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I got the Force on Thursday. Took the phone off the charger around 730 this morning. 10 hours later and I'm still at 79%. As you can see from the screenshot, that includes almost 5 hours of usage and almost 100 minutes of SOT. For my usage, this is slightly better than both the Turbo 1 and Turbo 2.

Attachments

• 5803.jpg
    5803.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 130

Mac58

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the force. I got my wife the regular Z. Im not sure if maybe its her unit but her battery was pretty lowsy the first day. Barely got 2.5 hours of screen on time. I got her a moto mod battery (was going to get one for her anyways) but it almost seems necessary if you get the smaller version. Ive been getting through a full work day no problem on the droid force. And with the battery moto mod it goes the extra mile for the last 4-5 hours of day and then some. I havent even used the turbo charger yet. Also I rock my phones with everything on (GPS, wifi, bluetooth, high brightness, data, etc) whats point of having top of line phone if u have to turn things off. I would like to see some more posts about the regular moto z and its battery so ill know if its just my wifes unit. If not Ill be returning and getting her the droid force

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
First day or so the battery will drain quick. As for me I do have the battery mod as well. Today I unplugged my phone at 0430 hrs and I ran it down to 17% around 1730 hrs. So 13 hrs. Not bad. At that point I out my battery mod on to resupply. So far I am having no issues with my battery.

And that was with 3 hrs of podcast streaming. About 1 hr of phone calls and web browsing. Not to bad.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I got the Force on Thursday. Took the phone off the charger around 730 this morning. 10 hours later and I'm still at 79%. As you can see from the screenshot, that includes almost 5 hours of usage and almost 100 minutes of SOT. For my usage, this is slightly better than both the Turbo 1 and Turbo 2.

Wow you theoretically can get 7 hours of SOT.:cool:

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
1470065706330.jpgHere's mine overnight. Keep in mind I'm connected to a 4g network extender. That brought my signal from -125 to -80 or so. Big improvement. This is close to battery life I got on original turbo in the beginning. Somewhere there are screenshots proving that.
So far I'm happy. I'll repost updated stats at the end of the day. I have the battery mod but set to not kick on until the battery gets lower. But happy so far.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 233814Here's mine overnight. Keep in mind I'm connected to a 4g network extender. That brought my signal from -125 to -80 or so. Big improvement. This is close to battery life I got on original turbo in the beginning. Somewhere there are screenshots proving that.
So far I'm happy. I'll repost updated stats at the end of the day. I have the battery mod but set to not kick on until the battery gets lower. But happy so far.

At what percentage does your battery mod turn on?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
It turned on at 80%. I'll post a screen shot later tonight. I would guess it turned on about 5 pm. It has kept the phone battery at 80% since then.

paankadu

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I got the Z last Thursday. Yesterday at work I barley made it thru the work day. I unplugged it around 6:30 - used it for about 10 minutes - checking emails and facebook on wifi - dropped from 100% to 88%. During the day I had a little over 2 1/14 hours screen time. I have several apps on my phone --- FB, Fitbit, Myfitness pal, Solataire, email, etc. I have most of them set to restrict backround data so it isn't constantly syncing and had good signal strength. By the end of the day at 5 pm I was down to 10%. Today they told me to run it in safemode, which disables all the 3rd party apps and said to talk, text, surf the web, email and try for the same amount of screen time. This time I had about 20% by the end of my workday. This is also with my brightness set at about 10-20%.

All of these apps are the same ones I had on my Galaxy 6 and iPhone 6+ and I was on them a heck of a lot more than I have been able to be on the Z. I love the look and feel of the phone, but if I can't use any of my apps what is the point of having it. I had my blue tooth off, my wifi off at work because it is not available etc. There would be days where I would read my Kindle app for 4-5 hours while riding and still not drop below 50% on my other phones.
So frustrating to have this much money wrapped up and can't use it like I normally do. Still within my 14 days but don't want to go back to iPhone or Samsung.....

Last edited:

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I got the Z last Thursday. Yesterday at work I barley made it thru the work day. I unplugged it around 6:30 - used it for about 10 minutes - checking emails and facebook on wifi - dropped from 100% to 88%. During the day I had a little over 2 1/14 hours screen time. I have several apps on my phone --- FB, Fitbit, Myfitness pal, Solataire, email, etc. I have most of them set to restrict backround data so it isn't constantly syncing and had good signal strength. By the end of the day at 5 pm I was down to 10%. Today they told me to run it in safemode, which disables all the 3rd party apps and said to talk, text, surf the web, email and try for the same amount of screen time. This time I had about 20% by the end of my workday. This is also with my brightness set at about 10-20%.

All of these apps are the same ones I had on my Galaxy 6 and iPhone 6+ and I was on them a heck of a lot more than I have been able to be on the Z. I love the look and feel of the phone, but if I can't use any of my apps what is the point of having it. I had my blue tooth off, my wifi off at work because it is not available etc. There would be days where I would read my Kindle app for 4-5 hours while riding and still not drop below 50% on my other phones.
So frustrating to have this much money wrapped up and can't use it like I normally do. Still within my 14 days but don't want to go back to iPhone or Samsung.....

Sounds like you need to do a factory rest and if the terrible battery life continues then you need to return or swap the device. I get home with about 40%. And I use my Google maps and Bluetooth stream Google play music every moment I'm in my car.

Posted via the Android Central App

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

Would you consider the Force? The battery life is epic, even without the mods.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante