What third-party chargers are you using for TurboPower/Fast Charging on the Moto Z?

dbregman

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for posting this - I picked up the charger and decided to try it with a USB A to C cable (also by Choetech) and I get 1480max charge. I am curious before I get the C to C cable, do you have an A to C you could test with and see if you get similar results.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
AUKEY Amp USB Charger with 2 USB C & 4 USB Ports for Samsung Note 7, LG G5, HTC 10, Nexus 6P & More
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5365737

I picked up this along with 2 6ft cables and 2 10 ft cables. Price was the same for each different length. So why not. I like the longer cables. I ordered a package of the same brand, CHEOTECH, but those were usb a to usb c. Nice thick cables. Feel like they will last a long time.
So the Aukey power bank brings up a different result.
It does give the pop-up saying turbo charging no matter which USB C to USB C cable I use. But it only charged at about 1200 mah. But the interesting thing is it does switch over and charge the battery mod. So that is good. Even though it charged at a slower rate it charged my phone from 63% to 100% in about 30 minutes. I am happy with that.

1472156861365.jpg

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
So the Aukey power bank brings up a different result.
It does give the pop-up saying turbo charging no matter which USB C to USB C cable I use. But it only charged at about 1200 mah. But the interesting thing is it does switch over and charge the battery mod. So that is good. Even though it charged at a slower rate it charged my phone from 63% to 100% in about 30 minutes. I am happy with that.

View attachment 237138

What % was your battery at when you started?

Is there a boost if you don't have the battery mod attached?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
What % was your battery at when you started?

Is there a boost if you don't have the battery mod attached?

The phone was at 63% so I don't really know if there was a boost because the battery mod was attached. I will test it tomorrow without the mod on it. The big thing for me is it charged the mod.

I need to run the battery down lower and test.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
To reiterate, I believe the minimum to get the "TurboPower" toast message (and Ampere Charge Rate: Turbo) you'll have to use a 5V/3A source.

Motorola's included TurboPower 30 does 5V/5.7A.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Oh I understand completely. I was just letting go you know the message popped up and that then allowed the battery mod to charge.
I could care less if it charges at a lower amperage as long as I have options to charge the mod.
Is it possible that being USB C cable is what prompts the turbo message to pop up even though it's at a lower speed?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
1472264225243.jpg

This seems to be about as fast as this charges as far as amps go. I ran it down to 49% today with some heavier use to test it. But as you can see in the screen shot it lists it as turbo charging. So since it charges the mod after the battery I'm happy with that.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Oh I understand completely. I was just letting go you know the message popped up and that then allowed the battery mod to charge.
I could care less if it charges at a lower amperage as long as I have options to charge the mod.
Is it possible that being USB C cable is what prompts the turbo message to pop up even though it's at a lower speed?

I suspect that using a minimum 5V/3A charger with a cable that supports it properly is what triggers the "TurboPower" message.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
View attachment 237312

This seems to be about as fast as this charges as far as amps go. I ran it down to 49% today with some heavier use to test it. But as you can see in the screen shot it lists it as turbo charging. So since it charges the mod after the battery I'm happy with that.

This is without the battery mod attached?

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

ultimate_ed

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I used a connector with last year's MXPE charger and it could only do about 250 fwiw.

I also use my MXPE 25w charger with my Moto Z Force at the office with a Tronsmart adapter at the end of the cable. I get a charge rage between 1300 and 1500 mAh.

However, that was after I cut a notch out of my Verizon bumper case so the cable could fully connect. Before that, if I could get the charger to work at all, it wouldn't do better that 400. The bumper case also gave me trouble with the supplied charger that came with the Moto Z as well.

dbregman

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Confirmed with this combo - USING THE USB C to C - you get turbo, with the A to C you get around 1400 mA

Yup. Was just about to post.

C to C: Turbo
A to C: Normal

(A isn't doing 5V/3A)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I got this car charger: Silipower 3-Port 47W USB Car Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HT7QZZ...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5388994

It gets the Turbo toast message.

I use it with his cable: CHOETECH USB-C to USB-C Cable (3.3ft/1M) for USB Type-C Devices https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017W2RWE...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5388994

mYXV7qA.png