Moto z camera lens scratch

mkcho123

Sep 24, 2016
Visit site
I've been using this phone for a month. And I just started noticing scratches on my camera lens. Does anyone else have this problem? Or is it just me? And does anyone knows where to get replacement camera lens?
c1918539271e4447dd4f4dda036bba89.jpg
1479540168564.jpg

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had my phone for around 2 months now and definitely do not have this issue. I always have a style shell or thin TPU case on the device. Even the thin TPU case has a very slightly raised lip around the camera area.

I would think your local phone repair shop could get a replacement.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
The lens is Glass, it shouldn't be scratching THAT easily. That is very worrying, how badly has it affected the pics taken with the camera?

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Mine is scratched up to. I keep a Incipio case on and have the phone in my pocket most of the time with nothing else.
I bought some dbrand wraps that also have the camera lens cover to help prevent further scratches.
Could it be a anti reflective coating that is getting scratched up?

dbregman

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Mine is scratched just like yours. It does (IMO) affect the image quality. It makes shots fuzzy. I too would be interested in how to replace the lens cover.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I wonder why they don't use synthetic sapphire, mineral glass, or at least Gorilla Glass. Durability matters.

markabele

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Those of you that have camera lenses scratched...were they bought early in the product cycle? Wondering if it's something they fixed.

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
Those of you that have camera lenses scratched...were they bought early in the product cycle? Wondering if it's something they fixed.

I bought the unlocked Moto Z Play about 3 weeks ago and after a few days I had scratches all over the camera lens. Had the back that came with the phone on and the phone has either been in my pocket or placed on the table at home. It is a real disappointment that it scratches this easy. I now have the Incipio battery mod on 24/7 to keep the lens away from any surfaces.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
It almost sounds like they didn't use glass at all but some sort of acrylic. Glass, typically, doesn't scratch that easily.

Bora777

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Z for about a week and a half now and I've started noticing little scratches there too. I've been only using it with the wood and black nylon style shells it came with, and the former is actually slightly thicker so it slightly recesses the camera, but it still seems to have new scratches everyday.

This was just a terrible design decision, to have the lens under such a large, vulnerable surface and then pick a low-quality acrylic instead of sapphire crystal or glass. On top of that, it's nigh on impossible to find little protectors for that bit outside the US. I've ordered a few Dbrand skins just for the camera but I would really just like a clear one.

sleshepic

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for 4 days, I noticed SIGNIFICANT micro scratching after 2 days, very disappointing. I couldn't believe it and started digging for a plastic film cover because of course it couldn't actually be scratched, it was. It was in a Maui Jim glass case in my pocket, just terrible, I've abused my Note 4 for a while and doesn't have a single scratch, wth. Will post pic in a bit if I can

Last edited:

italianotampa

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Mine scratches pretty easily as well. I noticed some micro scratching on it. Actual screen itself also seems to scratch mine scratches pretty easily as well. I noticed some micro scratching on it. Actual screen itself also seems to scratch more easily then my previous couple of phones. Only had it a couple weeks but I accidentally put it in my pocket with my keys and cetera and I noticed some micro scratches.

markabele

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I feel like they either fixed this after the first batch went out or some of you are really hard on phones. One of the two. ;)