Moto Z on Amazon $499, should I?

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Hello all,

I owned a Moto Z Force for a while when I was with Verizon and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I left Verizon a while back so the Z Force was gone. I see that the Moto Z is on sale for $499 on Amazon which is $200 off. Do you guys think this indeed is a good deal? I initially didn't get the regular Z because it was too thin but I'm going keep a shell on it at all times and or a battery mod. Currently I have the Honor 8 and Nexus 6p. I was thinking of selling my 6p and grabbing the Moto Z to take its place. I spent a lot of time on the Force forum but I had not on the regular Z forum. Do you guys mind giving me some advice about the Z. I know the camera isn't as good as the Force but at the same time it's still a great camera. How have the updates been? I believe both models have the same 820 processor and screen resolution. Is $499 truly a good deal? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks for any help in advance

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Ordered the Moto Z 64g for $499. Figured that is as low as it could go. I have handled it before and without a shell or mod on it, it's way to skinny or slim. I'll keep something on it and will sell my Nexus 6p I suppose. My Z will arrive tomorrow. If anything like the Z Force then I'll like it. I let my Z Force go bc I left Verizon. This unlocked Z ill be using Cricket. I also orfered quite a few mods. One of my favorite was the JBL speaker. With the regular Z ill probably keep the battery mod on it mostly since the stock battery isn't all that great.

markabele

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Ordered the Moto Z 64g for $499. Figured that is as low as it could go. I have handled it before and without a shell or mod on it, it's way to skinny or slim. I'll keep something on it and will sell my Nexus 6p I suppose. My Z will arrive tomorrow. If anything like the Z Force then I'll like it. I let my Z Force go bc I left Verizon. This unlocked Z ill be using Cricket. I also orfered quite a few mods. One of my favorite was the JBL speaker. With the regular Z ill probably keep the battery mod on it mostly since the stock battery isn't all that great.

Good decision. Only negative is a little less battery life (easily corrected with a battery mod) and not as good of camera. But honestly, I think you have to be a pretty big photo guy to realize the difference. Pros are that it is much more of a normal size phone with mods on due to it's thinness.

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Good decision. Only negative is a little less battery life (easily corrected with a battery mod) and not as good of camera. But honestly, I think you have to be a pretty big photo guy to realize the difference. Pros are that it is much more of a normal size phone with mods on due to it's thinness.

Agreed. I picked up the Incipio battery mod and while attached, it's about as thick as the Force by itself.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Agreed. I picked up the Incipio battery mod and while attached, it's about as thick as the Force by itself.
My battery mod plus my JBL speaker mod should be here tomorrow. Right now I have the black leather moto shell on it and that makes it feel much more like a phone. Without anything or mod on it, it's just way too thin. Doesn't feel right in the hand. Believe it or not, I can tell a huge difference between my 6p 5.7 screen and now my Moto Z 5.5 screen. The phone itself must make the Z feel smaller than it really is. I feel like this phone is small compared to my Nexus 6p. Performance is about the same but when I had my Z Force I personally liked the mods. The only two mods that I won't get is the projector and camera mod. I have no need for either of those. The battery, different style shells and speaker are must haves.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
My battery mod plus my JBL speaker mod should be here tomorrow. Right now I have the black leather moto shell on it and that makes it feel much more like a phone. Without anything or mod on it, it's just way too thin. Doesn't feel right in the hand. Believe it or not, I can tell a huge difference between my 6p 5.7 screen and now my Moto Z 5.5 screen. The phone itself must make the Z feel smaller than it really is. I feel like this phone is small compared to my Nexus 6p. Performance is about the same but when I had my Z Force I personally liked the mods. The only two mods that I won't get is the projector and camera mod. I have no need for either of those. The battery, different style shells and speaker are must haves.

Thanks to your thread, I became aware of this price for the Z and pulled the trigger on it last night. Hoping it will be quicker and less laggy than the S7 Edge.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks to your thread, I became aware of this price for the Z and pulled the trigger on it last night. Hoping it will be quicker and less laggy than the S7 Edge.
No problem man. Glad it helped you. I just received my Moto Z yesterday. $499 is a heck of a deal. I ordered several mods too. I had the Z Force when I was with Verizon and I loved the Force. When I saw the Z on sale I pulled the trigger and sold my Nexus 6p. I'm having to use my battery mod more with the Z compared to the force. The only downfall to the Z is the small battery. You will not experience any lag with the Z plus the software interface is at least 10 times better than Samsung choppy and sticky touch wiz. I owned both the s7 and s7 edge and I got rid of them both and stuck with Moto. Congrats on your Z!

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
No problem man. Glad it helped you. I just received my Moto Z yesterday. $499 is a heck of a deal. I ordered several mods too. I had the Z Force when I was with Verizon and I loved the Force. When I saw the Z on sale I pulled the trigger and sold my Nexus 6p. I'm having to use my battery mod more with the Z compared to the force. The only downfall to the Z is the small battery. You will not experience any lag with the Z plus the software interface is at least 10 times better than Samsung choppy and sticky touch wiz. I owned both the s7 and s7 edge and I got rid of them both and stuck with Moto. Congrats on your Z!

Thanks. I got it last night. So far I'm very happy with it. It's very quick, has a great screen, and no lag whatsoever. Time will tell I guess. Getting the Incipio 2200 mAh mod tomorrow.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
The Moto Z Play was the deal on Verizon... Still think they are running it. No cost with 2 year.
Just could not part with my Note 4.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Update on my recent purchase of the Moto Z. I think I'm sending mine back to Amazon. Compared to the Nexus 6p the Z isn't as nice of a device. Battery without the mind is awful. Performance is the same but the Z is still on 6.01 and should have hit at least 7.0 a while back. I assume it will get 7.1.1 but I wouldn't be surprised if it only gets 7.0 instead. Nexus had the latest software. For $45 more dollars I'll grab the 64g 6p I'm thinking and then send my mods back and save. It's a hard decision but I think it has a lot to do with Moto not being more proactive with software updates and especially with the Z supposedly being a flagship model. I love Moto but now that I have the Z, I realize just how nice the Nexus 6p was.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Update on my recent purchase of the Moto Z. I think I'm sending mine back to Amazon. Compared to the Nexus 6p the Z isn't as nice of a device. Battery without the mind is awful. Performance is the same but the Z is still on 6.01 and should have hit at least 7.0 a while back. I assume it will get 7.1.1 but I wouldn't be surprised if it only gets 7.0 instead. Nexus had the latest software. For $45 more dollars I'll grab the 64g 6p I'm thinking and then send my mods back and save. It's a hard decision but I think it has a lot to do with Moto not being more proactive with software updates and especially with the Z supposedly being a flagship model. I love Moto but now that I have the Z, I realize just how nice the Nexus 6p was.

I understand how you feel. The 6P has a lot about it that is really nice, and of course the latest updates all the time help a lot. My biggest reasons for selling it other than wanting the Note7, was it's video camera stability, or lack thereof. I feel that the Pixel XL is too expensive, and I like the Z so far, but it's compromised too. Anyway, I'll give it a bit more time.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I understand how you feel. The 6P has a lot about it that is really nice, and of course the latest updates all the time help a lot. My biggest reasons for selling it other than wanting the Note7, was it's video camera stability, or lack thereof. I feel that the Pixel XL is too expensive, and I like the Z so far, but it's compromised too. Anyway, I'll give it a bit more time.
I may do the same still yet. I have some time to send it back. Plus truly since I keep two phones going with my back up being my larger phone I kind of miss the 5.7 screen size of Nexus 6p. Doesn't sound like much difference but in real world I can tell. Ugh hard decision and a bunch of trouble to return wait for refund and then reorder the 64g 6p. My smaller go to phone is the Honor 8 which by far has been my favorite Android bc the software interface is a hybrid of Android and iOS.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

It'll probably get 7.0 as it's next major update. From the get-go, Motorola was clear it wouldn't get updates as fast as Nexus/Pixel. If OS and security updates are high on your list, don't consider anything else besides Pixel or Nexus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech