Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
08-19-2011 11:10 AM
54 replies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. #26  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jp0213x View Post
    Push to talk service.
    thanks, but what is "push to talk"service? How is that different from any other phone service?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #27  

    Default Re: Motorola Pax

    Quote Originally Posted by v_sprad View Post
    Other than push to talk
    I see no difference between the Admiral and a XPRT/DROID PRO with a working Gingerbread 2.3

    btw Gingerbread 2.3 was released for the Droid Pro yesterday.
    It cant be far behind for the XPRT
  3. #28  

    Default Re: Motorola Pax

    Quote Originally Posted by ronald600 View Post
    Other than push to talk
    I see no difference between the Admiral and a XPRT/DROID PRO with a working Gingerbread 2.3

    btw Gingerbread 2.3 was released for the Droid Pro yesterday.
    It cant be far behind for the XPRT

    Besides the chirp, the main difference is the processor (1.2 qualcomm as opposed to the 1.0 texas Instrument) and the military specs, being resistant to dust, shock, solar radiation and high/low temperatures. More for the working man.

    It seems the XPRT was designed for the people designing the buildings and the Admiral was designed for the people building them.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

    Smile Re: Motorola Pax

    Quote Originally Posted by v_sprad View Post
    Besides the chirp, the main difference is the processor (1.2 qualcomm as opposed to the 1.0 texas Instrument) and the military specs, being resistant to dust, shock, solar radiation and high/low temperatures. More for the working man.

    It seems the XPRT was designed for the people designing the buildings and the Admiral was designed for the people building them.
    Thats funny

    In light of the current RIM trouble
    Motorola stands to sell a ton of phones if they release Gingerbread on time for the XPRT and the release of the Admiral
  5. #30  

    Default Re: Motorola Pax

    Quote Originally Posted by ronald600 View Post
    Thats funny

    In light of the current RIM trouble
    Motorola stands to sell a ton of phones if they release Gingerbread on time for the XPRT and the release of the Admiral
    You may be right...

    I have in my possession right now, an Echo, Epic 4g, Nexus S 4g, Samsung Transform, HTC EVO 4g, Lg Optimus S, and a Motorola XPRT. The ONLY reason I choose the XPRT for daily use is the form factor and Blackberry-like keyboard. Motorola has won me over anyway.


    Of course what do I know... I actually like the ECHO.... lol
  6. #31  

    Default Re: Motorola Pax

    Someone saved the video!

  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

    Default Re: Motorola Pax

    The Motorola Admiral is suppose to drop tomorrow on Sprint

    Motorola Admiral - Sprint Android Smartphone with Push-To-Talk - Overview - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

    They have upgraded android to 2.3.3
    They have upgraded the processor to 1.2ghz
    They have upgraded the resolution to 64X480
    They added a larger battery
    They added Direct Connect
    They removed the world radios

    Now where im confused is how will Sprint sell the XPRT and the Admiral for the same price $99
  8. #33  

    Default Re: Motorola Pax

    Quote Originally Posted by ronald600 View Post
    The Motorola Admiral is suppose to drop tomorrow on Sprint

    Motorola Admiral - Sprint Android Smartphone with Push-To-Talk - Overview - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

    They have upgraded android to 2.3.3
    They have upgraded the processor to 1.2ghz
    They have upgraded the resolution to 64X480
    They added a larger battery
    They added Direct Connect
    They removed the world radios

    Now where im confused is how will Sprint sell the XPRT and the Admiral for the same price $99
    Honestly, I think the Admiral is more the successor to the Titanium than the XPRT.
    The Titanium was MIL-spec, had the old iDen PTT, non-3G, non-world phone and ran on an outdated Eclair.
    The Admiral is still MIL-spec, updates to new CDMA Direct Connect, adds 3G, still non-world phone and now has Gingerbread.

    Sprint/Motorola may not realize it but the Admiral is WAYYYY more appealing than the XPRT at this time for non-business users (as long as world phone capability is not a deal breaker).

    I think (hope) that the XPRT will have a successor soon which will keep world phone capability and bump up specs wise to be similar to the Admiral, and hopefully some more to make it more competitive with other non-business geared phones. Things like front facing camera and better rear camera, a slightly larger display (~ 3.5"), NFC, same (or larger battery) for stellar life and upgrade path to ICS will make it a killer portrait QWERTY slab! That would be the no-compromise phone I'd want!
  9. #34  
    preryan's Avatar

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts

    Default Re: Motorola Pax

    I have an Admiral and so far so good.
  10. #35  

    Default Re: Motorola Pax

    Quote Originally Posted by Presto View Post
    I have an Admiral and so far so good.
    How is the handset and speaker phone volume and does the phone have good sound quality? Someone also reported a bug and described a problem where the proximity sensor is causing the speaker phone to come on during a call. Have you ran into this problem yet?
  11. #36  
    preryan's Avatar

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts

    Default Re: Motorola Pax

    Quote Originally Posted by jp0213x View Post
    How is the handset and speaker phone volume and does the phone have good sound quality?
    Well I am only on my second day with it but the volume seems fine. About the same as the Photon I used for a month but better than my Pre. The sound quality is good on the receiving end and no one has complained about it on the other end.

    Its an odd shaped little phone. The top is slightly thicker than the bottom giving it a wedge shape. Doesn't bother me its just odd.

    Im loving the keyboard. Dual core and 4g would be nice but I guess going without those will help battery life. The battery is quite large. With my Pre (and a lesser extent my Photon) I kept it on a charger all the time at my desk or in the car because was constantly running low on power. I am going to see how long this phone can go.
  12. #37  
    preryan's Avatar

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts

    Default Re: Motorola Pax

    Quote Originally Posted by jp0213x View Post
    How is the handset and speaker phone volume and does the phone have good sound quality? Someone also reported a bug and described a problem where the proximity sensor is causing the speaker phone to come on during a call. Have you ran into this problem yet?
    No I have not had the speaker phone come on during a call. Yikes I hope I don't have that become an issue.
  13. #38  

    Default Re: Motorola Pax

    Was there a lot bloatware installed with the phone and would you recommend this phone?
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #39  

    Default Re: Motorola Pax

    Quote Originally Posted by rendang View Post
    Honestly, I think the Admiral is more the successor to the Titanium than the XPRT.
    The Titanium was MIL-spec, had the old iDen PTT, non-3G, non-world phone and ran on an outdated Eclair.
    The Admiral is still MIL-spec, updates to new CDMA Direct Connect, adds 3G, still non-world phone and now has Gingerbread.

    Sprint/Motorola may not realize it but the Admiral is WAYYYY more appealing than the XPRT at this time for non-business users (as long as world phone capability is not a deal breaker).

    I think (hope) that the XPRT will have a successor soon which will keep world phone capability and bump up specs wise to be similar to the Admiral, and hopefully some more to make it more competitive with other non-business geared phones. Things like front facing camera and better rear camera, a slightly larger display (~ 3.5"), NFC, same (or larger battery) for stellar life and upgrade path to ICS will make it a killer portrait QWERTY slab! That would be the no-compromise phone I'd want!
    I agree with you that the Admiral is the replacement for the Titanium
    Since Gingerbread is already available for the Droid Pro , which is the same as the XPRT. There is no reason why the XPRT should not see it.
    A true replacement for the XPRT would need to have a 3.5 inch screen or better and ICS with a larger battery. The camera is not a deal breaker for a business phone
  15. #40  
    preryan's Avatar

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts

    Default Re: Motorola Pax

    Quote Originally Posted by jp0213x View Post
    Was there a lot bloatware installed with the phone and would you recommend this phone?
    Well there are apps on there that I wont use but it doesn't seem excessive. I have only used it now for two days but so far I would recommend it for business use. The photon I had did more amazing things like being able to plug it in to a big screen tv and watch netflix or play a game but things I rarely did. I found the photon hard to text and type lengthy emails with and those are things I do constantly.

    I am a little irritated that I can't download words with friends for it. Im not sure if its because the Admiral is running 2.3.5 or the screen size or what but several apps that I wanted to download are not compatible with it.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

    Default Re: Motorola Pax

    Quote Originally Posted by Presto View Post
    Well there are apps on there that I wont use but it doesn't seem excessive. I have only used it now for two days but so far I would recommend it for business use. The photon I had did more amazing things like being able to plug it in to a big screen tv and watch netflix or play a game but things I rarely did. I found the photon hard to text and type lengthy emails with and those are things I do constantly.

    I am a little irritated that I can't download words with friends for it. Im not sure if its because the Admiral is running 2.3.5 or the screen size or what but several apps that I wanted to download are not compatible with it.
    Not trying to talk you out of your phone but
    Were you aware that they make portable keyboards for the Photon?
    There are actually available for all touch screen phones
    The purpose of those keyboards is exactly what you are talking about
    Typing lengthy emails or documents
  17. #42  

    Default Re: Motorola Pax

    Quote Originally Posted by Presto View Post
    Well there are apps on there that I wont use but it doesn't seem excessive. I have only used it now for two days but so far I would recommend it for business use. The photon I had did more amazing things like being able to plug it in to a big screen tv and watch netflix or play a game but things I rarely did. I found the photon hard to text and type lengthy emails with and those are things I do constantly.

    I am a little irritated that I can't download words with friends for it. Im not sure if its because the Admiral is running 2.3.5 or the screen size or what but several apps that I wanted to download are not compatible with it.
    How is the moto blur on this phone?
  18. #43  
    preryan's Avatar

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ronald600 View Post
    Not trying to talk you out of your phone but
    Were you aware that they make portable keyboards for the Photon?
    There are actually available for all touch screen phones
    The purpose of those keyboards is exactly what you are talking about
    Typing lengthy emails or documents

    yes I am aware of those keyboards and I can see the advantage of one for some people. With work, I am constantly on the go. Driving to visit a customer or job location. I don't want to carry and remember to get it everywhere I go. I write emails in elevators, waiting rooms, building lobbies and walking downtown. Not so practical for me.
  19. #44  
    preryan's Avatar

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jp0213x View Post
    How is the moto blur on this phone?
    I know that MOTOBLUR is the Motorola skin on android like other manufacturers use. However having not used any other android phones than the Admiral or Photon, I can't compare. I have been told by others who used a CLIQ in the past that this version of MOTOBLUR is less obtrusive.
  20. #45  

    Default Re: Motorola Pax

    Quote Originally Posted by ronald600 View Post
    Not trying to talk you out of your phone but
    Were you aware that they make portable keyboards for the Photon?
    There are actually available for all touch screen phones
    The purpose of those keyboards is exactly what you are talking about
    Typing lengthy emails or documents
    As a Pre refuge who still misses the key board, I am aware that I could get a portable keyboard for my photon, but it doesn't seem worth it. I don't want to juggle a keyboard and the phone in the train. Nor do I want to carry another object around. I wonder who uses them, and how, as they just don't seem very practical. Do people set up their phones like little computers? All the places where I could do that, I have an actual computer and can use a full-sized keyboard.

    I'm okay with this phone, but I think my next phone will have a real keyboard.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  

    Default Re: Motorola Pax

    Quote Originally Posted by Presto View Post
    yes I am aware of those keyboards and I can see the advantage of one for some people. With work, I am constantly on the go. Driving to visit a customer or job location. I don't want to carry and remember to get it everywhere I go. I write emails in elevators, waiting rooms, building lobbies and walking downtown. Not so practical for me.
    I understand
    Ideally there would be a dock for the Admiral\XPRT or PAX that would allow the use of a larger screen and keyboard
  22. #47  

    Default Re: Motorola Pax

    Is it just me or are they packing too much issh into phones. Whatever happened to simplicity, lol
  23. #48  
    preryan's Avatar

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    As a Pre refuge who still misses the key board, I am aware that I could get a portable keyboard for my photon, but it doesn't seem worth it. I don't want to juggle a keyboard and the phone in the train. Nor do I want to carry another object around. I wonder who uses them, and how, as they just don't seem very practical. Do people set up their phones like little computers? All the places where I could do that, I have an actual computer and can use a full-sized keyboard.

    I'm okay with this phone, but I think my next phone will have a real keyboard.
    They don't make it easy on us, at least on Sprint. The high end phones have virtual keyboards. I'm happy with my choice (so far) but would have preferred 4g, dual core and a slightly bigger screen.
  24. #49  

    Default Re: Motorola Pax

    Dual core on small screen would be a waste, 4g no big deal. We got about year left for wimax so I can do without the 4g.
  25. #50  
    preryan's Avatar

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jp0213x View Post
    Dual core on small screen would be a waste, 4g no big deal. We got about year left for wimax so I can do without the 4g.
    4g is nice for music and video and also for internet and phone at the same time without wifi. As far as as dual core I did wish for a "slightly bigger screen". I don't need over 4" but bigger than 3.1" would be appreciated.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions